Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2018, 10:15   #7201
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched "Bad Times At The El Royale". Had high expectations, ended up with a bad taste in my mouth.

Visually striking with a lot of quirky characters but worth an avoid.
Old 26th December 2018, 11:34   #7202
Distinguished - BHPian

The Whole Truth

Its a very masala laden courtroom/murder thriller.
A bit drawn, and the ending is somewhat clear by the final half hour.
I only watched it for Keanu Reeves, and that is more or less the only aspect it fulfills, apart from being good with can of coke and a bag of chips on a lazy afternoon.

3/5
Old 26th December 2018, 13:02   #7203
Senior - BHPian

Watched Aquaman - 4/5.
DC is back and how. I am very glad that Marvel will have competition now given that WOnderWoman and Aquaman have become huge hits.
Coming back to the movie, the special effects are awesome and the lead actor has that swag which is needed for the role. I felt the actress was miscast and someone better with more charisma would have been preferred. Most of the movie is fast paced and keeps you hooked and there are quite a few clapworthy moments. I was surprised people whistling and shouting in a multiplex theater for this movie.
This movie will comfortably cross $1B and bring DC back in the game.
And this is obviously a big screen experience, so dont wait to watch on TV.. go and catch it now in theaters
Old 26th December 2018, 13:11   #7204
Distinguished - BHPian

Aquaman - I dunno, found it so-so. After a point, it was just a series of good visuals, the story seemed to drop off and the whole thing seemed disconnected. Unlike WW, or almost any of the Marvel movies where you actually begin to care about what happens to the characters, I would not watch it again, even on TV!

Went and saw it at Rex, so a bit of nostalgia. Rex is the last single-screen theater surviving in the 'cantonment' or CBD area of Bangalore. Over the years all the single-screens in this area have been redeveloped to house malls with multiplexes. Rex is due to shut at the end of this year and will become...you guessed it...a mall with a multiplex. Watched a lot of movies here during my school and college days, was nice to go back after years. But certainly, nostalgia apart, the multiplex experience is really so much better (and more expensive too, of course!)

Last edited by am1m : 26th December 2018 at 13:16.
Old 27th December 2018, 16:02   #7205
BHPian

Aquaman 4.5/5

Watched Aquaman at Inox IMAX in RMZ Galleria. Loved the Special Effects and sound track. The storyline is simple but setup well for Aquaman 2.
if you are a DC or Marvel comics fan this is a must watch.
Old 28th December 2018, 11:12   #7206
Senior - BHPian

The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford:

That's a long title and was a long movie as well but did not notice it at all. Amazing performances keep the movie tight and taut.

4/5

Into the grizzly maze:
About a grizzly bear hunting down people.
Popcorn flick worth a few jumps. Not bad at all. 2.5/5

Johny English strikes again:
Few laughs but mostly what you would expect from him. 2/5
Old 28th December 2018, 11:33   #7207
BHPian

Aquaman: 3/5

Yes, visuals are good; yes, Jason Momoa is a perfect cast for Aquaman with good swagger. But, that's it!

Story is very linear, script very predictable. You always know what is eventually going to happen in every crucial scene. And it lacked emotional connect (minor spoiler alert!)- between hero and lead actress; between son and his long lost mother. Only emotionally stirring plotline (and a small one at that) is the separation and eventual meeting of hero's parents.
Old 1st January 2019, 10:51   #7208
BHPian

Watched Aquaman last weekend. Storyline is feeble. Graphics, VFX and visual effects, well a whole lot of it (its actually an overdose) to create an entire world of virtual creatures and landscapes. The only normal human being in the entire movie perhaps is the lighthouse guard who incidentally is the father of the protagonist. Action again an overdose of it.

It is hard to digest that Atlantis can be a world of technological overdose so much so that the viewer may get confused whether it is an underwater world or another planet in the space akin to Sci-fi movies. The Antagonist travels in a vehicle akin to a spaceship/ flying soccer. Creatures (a hell lot of them) which are mix of machinery and weird biological forms. Gravity, laws of physics, chemistry, biology and common sense have no place here.

Most of the time the viewers are kept wondering for logic behind the scenes for eg. In one of the scenes our protagonist and his girl friend travel across the sea in a stolen boat and eventually get attacked by trillions of unusual beasts. Well what was the need of it here, when they both can swim at supersonic, lightning fast speeds, from one point to another as if they were bullets (and they do it elsewhere all along the film). Another instance, again our protagonist and his girlfriend dive from a moving aircraft, and land unharmed on the sahara desert and then fall inside a sand cave (which is hundreds of metres deep) and eventually /coincidentally/luckily land unharmed, unscratched, unabated right where he ultimately intended to reach i.e., place where the noble trident was forged generations ago. Height of co-incidence. Laser lights are aplenty. Conversion of just few drops of water into supercharged plasma and ultimately condensed into a gun which is super-capable of blasting off an entire hillock with a single jet is a new invention in this film.

The lead characters appear as a mere product from an expensive body building gymnasium, with full body graphics i.e., tattoos et-al, but lack any acting prowess (acting skills are not even needed in this film). The main character may have an unnaturally deep voice, six packs, et-al, but their faces are flat, bony, no charm, no smile, undressed long hairs, overall a pure drunkard appearance (which sadly happens to be the only order of the day) .

I may be the odd one out, an old school guy, but I see no elements of either storyline, entertainment, fun or logic here. Overall waste of money.

Rated generously at 0.5/5.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 1st January 2019 at 10:53.
Old 1st January 2019, 16:36   #7209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post

I may be the odd one out, an old school guy, but I see no elements of either storyline, entertainment, fun or logic here. Overall waste of money.

Rated generously at 0.5/5.
Nothing wrong in being an old school guy but comic books and the movies they are based on seldom adhere to logic

It was a fun movie for me and for my daughter as well
Old 7th January 2019, 21:08   #7210
BHPian

BumbleBee 4.5/5

Watched BumbleBee over the weekend at RMZ Galleria, Inox, Imax 2D.
The movie is set in the 80s with the music from the same era and it rocked.
There is action but not every second, it is more of an emotional movie showing the Origin of Bumblebee on earth.
Good acting by all involved and a very nice story.
For any Sci-Fi fan a must watch.
Old 7th January 2019, 21:21   #7211
Distinguished - BHPian

A Star is Born : 3.5 / 5

Excellent movie with good chemistry between the lead pair. One is heavily reminded of Aashiqui hence the lesser stars; but otherwise excellent acting by the lead pair. Decently paced and the songs are perfect (no wonder one of them won the Globe).

A bit of trivia - this was a movie that Clint Eastwood was to direct with Beyonce to lead; and then Bale, Depp, Cruise and many more being evaluated, finally Cooper took up the mantle in 2015, but on his own terms. I remember watching a Gaga interview sometime back; how she kept on repeating that Cooper went after her, wooed her for the movie and was literally the backbone of her acting; and she credits him completely for her performance. Writer, director, actor, all in one - this is one talented guy for sure!
Old 8th January 2019, 09:55   #7212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
I have a separate folder in my movie dump Harddisk named WW2-Nazi-Jews. These are the content of this folder.

Attachment 1826758
Thanks for sharing the list.

How about adding "Inglourious Basterds" to it? Christoph Waltz's performance is outstanding and beats most negative role-plays in war movies.
Old 8th January 2019, 11:24   #7213
Senior - BHPian

Molly's Game: 4/5

I thought at almost 2.5hrs it was going to drag along but to my surprise i hardly felt the time pass by.

Nice movie with gripping performances by the leads.
Old 9th January 2019, 20:29   #7214

After being introduced to the world of Korean movies a few years back, I now struggle to sit through most of the Hollywood and Bollywood movies. The south Korean movie industry comes out with is one of the most uninhibited, creative and I feel craziest plots. Here are some of the best as per me:

Old Boy(2003): After being kidnapped and imprisoned for fifteen years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in five days (Inspired the hindi movie Zinda).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I saw the Devil (2010): A secret agent exacts revenge on a serial killer through a series of captures and releases (Inspired the Hindi Movie Ek Villain).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588170/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Man from Nowhere (2010):A quiet pawnshop keeper with a violent past takes on a drug-and-organ trafficking ring in hope of saving the child who is his only friend (Officially remade in Hindi as Rocky Handsome).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527788/?ref_=nv_sr_1

A Bittersweet Life (2005): Things go wrong for a high ranking mobster when he doesn't proceed by his boss's orders (Inspired the Hindi movie Awaarapan).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0456912/?ref_=tt_rec_tt.

A New World (2013): An undercover cop finds it difficult to play both a cop and a goon. Stylish, poignant and one of the best movies after Infernal Affairs on Undercover cops.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2625030/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Memories of Murder (2003): In a small Korean province in 1986, three detectives struggle with the case of multiple young women being found raped and murdered by an unknown culprit.
If you liked Zodiac you will love this one and the ending.. ghosh!!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353969/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Some honourable mentions:
The Chaser (2008) :A disgraced ex-policeman who runs a small ring of prostitutes finds himself in a race against time when one of his women goes missing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190539/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Lady Vengeance (2005) : After being wrongfully imprisoned for thirteen years and having her child taken away from her, a woman seeks revenge through increasingly cruel and brutal means.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451094/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

U might have noticed that the above list is of action, thrillers etc but that is the genre I like and though they do have many good drama and comedies too.
Old 9th January 2019, 23:28   #7215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls14 View Post
After being introduced to the world of Korean movies a few years back, I now struggle to sit through most of the Hollywood and Bollywood movies. The south Korean movie industry comes out with is one of the most uninhibited, creative and I feel craziest plots. Here are some of the best as per me:
I wanted to watch Lady Vengeance but still haven't got down to it. Watched Old Boy years ago and man, what a movie! Will leave you a little shaken!!

Last edited by naveenroy : 9th January 2019 at 23:45. Reason: grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks