Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2017, 11:00   #6916
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Also the 2.5 hour period is because of few of the characters that had no role in this movie undertook "tasks" that you realize are of no importance to the storyline; it was just to be relevant in the movie.
To be honest, it dragged a bit in the middle. The first half hour was pretty good and I was hoping for it to stay that way. But some of the things were really not necessary and it was clear that they are paving way for reinventing the series.

This installment is worth seeing in 3D, unlike its predecessor.

I would rather rate Rogue one as a better movie with respect to pace. Currently available on hotstar.
Old 21st December 2017, 15:49   #6917
BHPian

I have observed during my recent movie outings that every english 3D movie is having subtitles on the screen. This is the case in the multiplex I frequent. Is this the case elsewhere also or is it only limited to Hyderabad?

I am quite distracted by the subtitles. The moment I see the subtitles my eyes involuntarily focus on that and I start reading that and miss most of the dialogues as well as action on the screen.
Old 21st December 2017, 16:15   #6918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I have observed during my recent movie outings that every english 3D movie is having subtitles on the screen. This is the case in the multiplex I frequent. Is this the case elsewhere also or is it only limited to Hyderabad?

I am quite distracted by the subtitles. The moment I see the subtitles my eyes involuntarily focus on that and I start reading that and miss most of the dialogues as well as action on the screen.
I guess this has become more of a norm than exception everywhere now. It can be quite distracting since one invariably ends up reading the movie than watching it. To avoid distraction, if possible I sink into the seats slightly so that the edge of seat in front blocks the subtitles.
Old 21st December 2017, 19:12   #6919
BHPian

It is a bit strange that of late, the movies that are hitting theatres and talking big bucks or much hype are either on superheros or supernaturals. I am yet to see movies where it is all about conversation, facial expressions and poignant moments. One movie which stood out for me and i have been searching for similar ones is The King's Speech. The soliloquies were great, the character engagement was amazing and on screen chemistry was brilliant.

I am still scouting out for similar movies. If you guys have suggestions do let me know and i really dont mind the black and white kinds as well. 12 Angry Men was another brilliant one. Look who's coming to Dinner with Sidney Poitier was a brilliant movie for its time. The entire setting was a dinner with 2 families who were of different races

Thanks in advance for some good references
Old 21st December 2017, 20:19   #6920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
I am yet to see movies where it is all about conversation, facial expressions and poignant moments.
Here is my list of movies that kind of meet your definition:
1. The man from earth
2. Being John Malkovitch
3. The pursuit of Happyness
4. Into the wild
5. The sunset limited
6. Good will Hunting
7. Valhalla rising (brutal, gory, violent - not for those who cant digest violence)
8. Whiplash
9. Sleuth (1972)
10. The Newsroom - not a movie but the screenplay & acting in this series is too good to ignore. Here is the first few minutes of the first episode

Old 25th December 2017, 12:04   #6921
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have observed during my recent movie outings that every english 3D movie is having subtitles on the screen.
I have to sheepishly admit that I'm so used to watching English flicks with subtitles that it's hard for me to see them without now. Even all the movie channels on TV now have subtitles by default .
Old 25th December 2017, 18:32   #6922
BHPian

Quote:

I kind of see the opposite happening. I haven't seen a 3D/2D movie with subtitles in a while now. Subtitles used to be common a while back, but in the last year or so I havent seen any.
Actually in one of the multiplexes I saw a banner saying movie with subtitles limited to Wednesdays (I think), which I though was very smart.
Old 26th December 2017, 08:47   #6923
Senior - BHPian

Watched Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Loved the movie as it gives the star wars fans most of what they look forward to see in a movie of this Franchise. I agree with some of the previous reviews that the film is a bit too long and some scenes feel stretched but overall a great Star Wars Experience.

I really like the creative approach Disney has taken with this Franchise, instead of rebooting the series as is the case normally, they have continued the storyline but are essentially telling the same/similar story from the original series. This way they are keeping the existing fans happy & creating new ones.

Rating 4/5
Old 14th January 2018, 21:57   #6924
Distinguished - BHPian

Downsizing
0/5

Please don't watch this. It's not even worth it if it airs on the telly. Not even for Christoph waltz, it's that bad.
Interesting concept, gone haywire.
Old 16th January 2018, 11:43   #6925
Senior - BHPian

The Post
Rating: 4/5

Fantastic watch, though a bit on the serious side- meaning, no gunfights, car chases or other like action sequences. However, the storyline is highly woven, and Meryl Streep has, as is her wont, given a fantastic and retrained performance. I had not watched too many of her movies earlier, and after watching this one, its fairly obvious why she is a multiple Academy Award winner.

The story is about serious and large scale political cover ups in the USA in the 1960s and the role of the media in exposing the same to the public, in the face of stiff and often debilitating opposition from higher powers.

Good watch
Old 16th January 2018, 13:00   #6926
Team-BHP Support

All the Money in the World

Excellent picture, drags slightly towards the end of the first half but Christopher Plummer pulls it off as a nasty miserly billionaire. Even more amazing was how 22 scenes were reshot within 10 days after it was decided to take out Kevin Spacey and replace with Christoper Plummer
Old 16th January 2018, 16:20   #6927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
I am yet to see movies where it is all about conversation, facial expressions and poignant moments.
Do watch 'The Bridges of Madison County'. Clint Eastwood & Meryl Streep.
Old 16th January 2018, 16:41   #6928
Senior - BHPian

Watched a random movie called "The Chef".

Good movie to watch over a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Old 16th January 2018, 18:12   #6929
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched the kid movie Paddington 2 over the weekend. Lovely little watch. Had watched Paddington 1 in the run up to this and although I liked that, the sequel was much better. Hugh Grant was great in the villainous role.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:49   #6930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
I am not sure if Japanese anime should appear in this list. But considering all these movies have English names and have been dubbed in English as well, i am sharing my experience of a week with movies from Studio Ghibli.

The world acknowledges the greatness of these movies and i do not need to add any words to describe the beauty of these movies. I am planning another marathon next week of the remaining movies by Studio Ghibli.

I hope few of you are able to enjoy few of the above movies.
Thank you for the list. I have watched a couple of them already. Will watch the others too. Any other recommendations with a little more action like Akira?

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th January 2018 at 12:40. Reason: Trimming quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks