Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2017, 10:45   #6901
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The awards season is upon us. Here's the nominees for Golden Globes. A bunch of good movies and TV shows here.

My picks of this list would be Loving Vincent, Ozark (TV Series), The Shape of Water, Get Out, The Disaster Artist and Dunkirk.

May the best movie win.

http://www.imdb.com/golden-globes/no...hero_cap_pri_1
Old 13th December 2017, 12:19   #6902
BHPian

Any Star Wars fans here ? The Last Jedi is getting some great reviews from critics. Planning on watching it this weekend. Beware of spoilers on social media.
Old 13th December 2017, 12:26   #6903
BHPian

I'm steering clear of social media till I watch The Last Jedi. Tried booking tickets at Rs. 1 on Paytm but didn't go through. Will watch it sometime over next week.
Old 13th December 2017, 20:00   #6904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Any Star Wars fans here ?
I liked the earlier trilogies. I wasn't impressed by Force Awakens. So my expectation on the 8th installment is low. So much so that I found the movie is releasing this weekend only after I saw your post
Old 13th December 2017, 20:09   #6905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
I'm steering clear of social media till I watch The Last Jedi. Tried booking tickets at Rs. 1 on Paytm but didn't go through. Will watch it sometime over next week.
I managed to book on Paytm. You have to enter the coupon code generated in the promo code field while paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I liked the earlier trilogies. I wasn't impressed by Force Awakens. So my expectation on the 8th installment is low. So much so that I found the movie is releasing this weekend only after I saw your post
I liked the force awakens, and I was looking forward to this one, but was not particularly excited for it till yesterday. Since then reviews have been pouring in and I got excited. I was gonna watch it anyway but now I'm more interested and managed to get free tickets because of OnePlus' offer.
Old 13th December 2017, 22:47   #6906
BHPian

Quote:
Any Star Wars fans here ? The Last Jedi is getting some great reviews from critics. Planning on watching it this weekend. Beware of spoilers on social media.
Star Wars Last Jedi is getting fantastic reviews, some even calling it the best Star Wars - may be hype. One US paper rated it "5 Stars"

Tickets booked for the weekend. Hoping for a great time.
Old 15th December 2017, 00:14   #6907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Last Jedi is getting some great reviews from critics.
The the up voted user reviews are quite bad (took a cursory look before booking for weekend), 5/10 has been the absolute best. This has been my protocol ever since my debacle with Prometheus few years back.

Thinking of taking daughter to Coco instead
Old 15th December 2017, 08:47   #6908
Senior - BHPian

For all you star wars and one plus phone fans, there is a limited edition one plus 5t on sale.

One plus 5T Star wars edition - Amazon
Old 15th December 2017, 11:38   #6909
BHPian

Any reviews on the movie, 'The Wonder' heard its a good watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
For all you star wars and one plus phone fans, there is a limited edition one plus 5t on sale.

One plus 5T Star wars edition - Amazon

I looked at it, apart from the dark side bumper case, it does not look tempting as its just the 5T with the star wars logo at the back and red color slider.

Was expecting some good goodies or merchandise along with the phone or even a nice star wars themed hands free.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th December 2017 at 00:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30-minute edit window to add more contents to it. Thanks.
Old 15th December 2017, 14:47   #6910
BHPian

I am not sure if Japanese anime should appear in this list. But considering all these movies have English names and have been dubbed in English as well, i am sharing my experience of a week with movies from Studio Ghibli.

I have always had a soft corner towards anime but have never gone past the anime series that we have been able to access here in India. I was content in my life believing i had already covered the best movies from the said studio and the genius behind it Hayao Miyazaki. The soft hand drawn lines, the immaculate attention to details and the elegant screenplay in these movies sets these apart from the Hollywood animated movies.

My neighbor totoro (1988) is a delightful throwback to innocence and the wild imagination of childhood. I have cherished seeing repeats of this movie for the last 3 years.

Spirited away (2001) can be considered a Japanese take on Alice in Wonderland and has slightly darker tone.

Both these movies are polar opposites in presentation but the craftwork of the great auteur is apparent. The movies have shown human emotions in a way no live action film can ever depict.

Last weekend i decided to revisit studio Ghibli and covered one movie each day for the past 4 days.

Mononoke hime - Princess Mononoke (1997) is a fantasy film revolving around nature gods and depicts rather wonderfully the balance within nature and how man's interference wreaks havoc in a totally child like fictional way. There are some sequences that cannot be shown in front of children though.

Whisper of the Heart (2006) a teenage love story. I will cherish memories of the movies for the Japanese rendering of the John Denver song "Take me home, country roads". The movie starts with the English rendering of the song by Olivia newton john. Third movie in the last few months where this song comes though. Logan Lucky and Kingsman Golden circle.

Grave of the Fireflies (1988) is by far the most poigant movies i have ever seen. When i say this i acknowledge this movie over Life is beautiful and Schindlers list too. It would take a rather cold heart not to be moved by this movie.

The Wind Rises (2013) is the life story of Jiro Horikoshi San the father of world war II fighter planes Mitsubishi A5M. His work, his love life and a rather beautiful portrayal of his struggle to balance both.

Your Name (2016) a rather unusual love story. Wont spoil much about this movie as it is rather unique. This movie is farthest from the other movies in showing a rather modern life which is starkly different from other movies in this list and also that this looks least hand drawn.

The world acknowledges the greatness of these movies and i do not need to add any words to describe the beauty of these movies. I am planning another marathon next week of the remaining movies by Studio Ghibli.

I hope few of you are able to enjoy few of the above movies.
Old 16th December 2017, 06:38   #6911
BHPian

I love you, Daddy starring and directed by Louis CK is probably his best work.

Get Out is a fun little movie with a twist.

I would also strongly recommended Cat Fight for people that dig indie movies.
Old 16th December 2017, 22:21   #6912
BHPian

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Just returned home from watching Star Wars : The Last Jedi in 3D.
This is the by far best Star Wars i have seen.
Would rate much much this better than Episodes 1 to III (Phantom Menace through Revenge of the Sith) for sure.
This iteration is also better than episode VII Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
The first fifteen minutes and entire second half is worth the view.

Do watch it and have a great time.
Now I have to convince my brother to come with me to watch it again in 4DX.

Trailers shown :The Avengers Infinity Wars & Black Panther.
Black Panther trailer was awesome.
Old 17th December 2017, 07:08   #6913
Distinguished - BHPian

Star Wars : The Last Jedi: 4/5 (No spoilers!)

Great movie, good act by most of the actors. But it's about time the franchise stops milking the good vs evil (jedi) storyline.

Also the 2.5 hour period is because of few of the characters that had no role in this movie undertook "tasks" that you realize are of no importance to the storyline; it was just to be relevant in the movie.
Old 17th December 2017, 13:17   #6914
BHPian

Watched Star Wars : The Last Jedi yesterday and I loved it. I felt the humour a bit forced but other than that I liked it a lot. Definitely would recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
[b] few of the characters that had no role in this movie undertook "tasks" that you realize are of no importance to the storyline; it was just to be relevant in the movie.
I think it will make the rest of the story interesting since it makes things less predictable. Can't say more as I don't want to spoil anything.
Old 17th December 2017, 21:35   #6915
Senior - BHPian

Watched Coco with family today and absolutely loved it. One of the best animated movies in the recent past. (9/10 )
It's really imaginative, colourful, funny and emotional at the same time. The music is definitely worth mentioning. I think Pixar is rediscovering themselves.
Go and watch with your family.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks