Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 13:05   #6871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Watched "The Big Short" on Netflix. Pretty interesting take on the market and instruments. Attaching snippets from Wiki, as I won't be able to express easily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Short_(film)
One of the best movies ever made IMO. I am big time into stock market so I really really enjoyed the movie, especially when they explain the concepts with exact definition. Those two dudes giving out loans without doing any background checks finally end up in a queue for a job interview at McD at the end of the movie. That scene gives the exact picture of the extreme meltdown of 2008.
Old 28th November 2017, 14:39   #6872
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by statix View Post
For all horror movie buffs. The Wailing!

A definite must watch! Though not an English movie but the plot is amazing. It's a Korean movie. I guarantee that this movie will leave you confused and thinking in the end! For me it's better than The Conjuring.
Thanks for the recommendation . The ending did leave me confused but managed to compare my findings with the reviews that gave out spoilers. I was close with some.

Need to watch some more Korean movies.
Old 28th November 2017, 16:42   #6873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Thanks for the recommendation . The ending did leave me confused but managed to compare my findings with the reviews that gave out spoilers. I was close with some.

Train to Busan, if you have not watched it already

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5700672/
Old 28th November 2017, 16:46   #6874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Train to Busan, if you have not watched it already

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5700672/
Watched that. It was amazing. Another one that I liked was "A tale of two sisters". Actually, it's BGM led me to the movie.
Old 28th November 2017, 23:01   #6875
Senior - BHPian

Watched Justice League, firstly its much better than what I expected after Dawn of Justice & I believe a lot of credit goes to Joss Whedon the man behind Avengers who joined DC & re-shot some of the JL scenes.

The biggest issue remains poor build up of characters, looks like the movie was rushed. So you know very little about Cyborg & Aquaman from both their origin as well capabilities standpoint. Flash is a popular character and I knew more about it from TV series but those who don't will feel similar for him too although his powers are pretty straight forward.

The 2nd big issue is that just like the characters the story & sub plots are rushed, so you keep jumping from one sub plot to another quickly and in a disconnected fashion.

There are some other parts that I want to critique but I cant without revealing spoilers so I will refrain but excessive use of CGI to remove an actors mustache is one such.

Coming back to story, they could have either had a prequel to this movie(after DoJ) or split this one in two IMO

Mow the nice, the effect are more realistic than Dawn of justice, Wonder Woman shines as expected, I get a feeling that we will probably see more WW movies than any other character.

There are some funny moments with some witty dialogues which keeps it less serious as previous ones.

Overall 3/5
Old 29th November 2017, 01:16   #6876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched Justice League, firstly its much better than what I expected after Dawn of Justice & I believe a lot of credit goes to Joss Whedon the man behind Avengers who joined DC & re-shot some of the JL scenes.
]
I agree with your assessment. Better than most of DCU fare, but still not enough.

For me wonder woman shines through the movie!! Followed closely by Flash and Aquaman to some extent. I hate what they have done to Batman. Where is the master tactician? Two times he strategises in the movie and ends up getting himself killed.
But my biggest grouse is not that. You can't save the world alone? Well guess what you can!! I can't say more without revealing spoilers.

I hate DCEU for destroying two of my favorite comic characters
Old 29th November 2017, 12:03   #6877

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Another movie which i would recommend is RAW. Not Korean though. It's a French-Belgian horror drama. Worth watching. Trust me.

I would recommend watching it alone
Old 30th November 2017, 11:36   #6878
BHPian

And the official trailer of 'Avengers - Infinity war' is out :

Eagerly waiting for the release which is slated in May next year
Old 30th November 2017, 12:08   #6879
Senior - BHPian

Justice League - 3.5 / 5

I actually loved the movie. It is far better than the Dawn of Justice and almost as good as the Wonder Woman movie. As everyone has mentioned, Wonder Woman steals the show. She is like the Iron Man of DC IMO, with attitude, personality and smart dialogues and ofcourse the power. The action sequences are well made. I especially loved the sequence with the Amazons. Really well made !

Flash's character in the movie is eerily similar to Spiderman's debut in Avengers (Civil War). Youngest of the gang with some juvenile humour thrown in, where the seniors wink at.

I am not sure mentioning Superman's presence is any spoiler. There are hundreds of trailers and videos on youtube which show action between Superman and other characters. So, yes, Superman is very much there. The only weakness of DC is that they are still heavily dependent on the super kryptonic power of Superman to save the world. This becomes weirdly evident in the Justice League movie. Batman from Dark Knight trilogy and Batman in Justice league are too different. I feel the Batman lacks the aura, power, dominance in DC's movies.

Someone mentioned that Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg are not introduced properly, which is probably right. But Flash and Aquaman's own solo movies are already shot and ready for release soon. So we will get to know them in details pretty soon. So have patience.

I am mighty impressed with Wonder Woman as character and Gal Gadot as the actor. I am hoping to see more solo movies of Wonder Woman. As of now, she is the only female superhero in both DC and Marvel universe.

I would totally recommend Justice League to all, at least once. And watch it in IMAX if you can.

And last but not least, this car is mind boggling. Is that a real production car or customized for Bruce Wayne only?

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-17c811_06.jpg
Old 30th November 2017, 12:27   #6880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

The biggest issue remains poor build up of characters, looks like the movie was rushed. So you know very little about Cyborg & Aquaman from both their origin as well capabilities standpoint.

I get a feeling that we will probably see more WW movies than any other character.

Overall 3/5
They are already planning to release 'Aquaman' in Dec 2018 I believe.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:32   #6881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
And the official trailer of 'Avengers - Infinity war' is out :

Eagerly waiting for the release which is slated in May next year
Comic book nerd's dream right there I can't wait

Just crazy to watch them all and go at it. Hope Thanos proves to be as Badass as they have made him to be in the movie.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:42   #6882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Comic book nerd's dream right there I can't wait

Just crazy to watch them all and go at it. Hope Thanos proves to be as Badass as they have made him to be in the movie.
I can hardly wait for it too. Looks super and full of loads of action. I hope they integrate the Guardians of the Galaxy well within the story. Its getting really crowded now. Thanos is a true supervillian in the books, at least. Let's see how he is projected in the movie.

Also, really curious now how Thor is going to stop the villians, with his lost & found (pun intended) strengths from Thor-Ragnorak.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:45   #6883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I can hardly wait for it too. Looks super and full of loads of action. I hope they integrate the Guardians of the Galaxy well within the story. Its getting really crowded now. Thanos is a true supervillian in the books, at least. Let's see how he is projected in the movie.

Also, really curious now how Thor is going to stop the villians, with his lost & found (pun intended) strengths from Thor-Ragnorak.
A Thor fan by any chance? He is my top character in the Marvel comicdom. Happy they got a good movie the third time out
Old 30th November 2017, 12:45   #6884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Justice League - 3.5 / 5

I actually loved the movie. It is far better than the Dawn of Justice and almost as good as the Wonder Woman movie. As everyone has mentioned, Wonder Woman steals the show. She is like the Iron Man of DC IMO, with attitude, personality and smart dialogues and ofcourse the power. The action sequences are well made. I especially loved the sequence with the Amazons. Really well made !
P.S. - You have to wait till the end of credits for a sneak peak on what's coming next. I mean really end of the credits. There are two scenes, one in between the last credits and one at the end. So don't leave the theater until the projector is turned off.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:47   #6885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Thor fan by any chance? He is my top character in the Marvel comicdom. Happy they got a good movie the third time out
You bet ! But actually, I am a bigger fan of Doctor Strange, because I am a huge fan of Benedict Cumberbatch.

Most Viewed