Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2015, 16:58   #6001
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched Robocop
I know it was released some time ago but I don't think anyone has posted a review on this thread.
I was a big fan of the Robocop franchise when I was a kid, especially the TV series. But, this movie was quite a disappointment.
Firstly, I don't like the casting of Joel Kinnaman as the protagonist. Also, the theme of corruption,capitalism etc. is beaten to the hilt. The movie goes for a different interpretation which focuses on Murphy and his life instead of focusing on Robocop. Maybe they want to build it up for the sequel.

Rating-5/10
Old 9th February 2015, 07:58   #6002

Big Hero 6 - 4/5

Marvel and Disney come together for the first time and boy, does the result rock! Everything I look for in a movie was there. And being a huge animation fan, loved the camera work (drawn that way!) A piece of celluloid joy.
Old 9th February 2015, 09:04   #6003
Team-BHP Support

The Interview

If you overlook all the hullabaloo around this movie, and enjoy it just for what it is, The Interview is actually a fun one time watch. I like the way the movie started, although the ending is the usual run-of-the-mill kinds. Some parts are actally quite fun, but not really much of a family movie.

Watch for general time pass.

Rating : ***
Old 9th February 2015, 09:35   #6004
Senior - BHPian

Saw Need for Speed on Star Movies yesterday.

Watched the movie mainly for the gorgeous Bugati, Lamborghini, Ford Mustang, Koenigsegg since the movie did not have a famed star cast. The actors looked too amateurish while driving the beauties, but the chase across some lovely roads winding close to the sea was worth the watch. The plot was the usual wrong done & revenge kind.

Ratings: 3.5/5
Old 9th February 2015, 11:08   #6005
Senior - BHPian

Grand Budapest Hotel again takes away highest number of awards at the BAFTA 2015, following its grand success at the Golden Globes.

But I still wonder how can BOYHOOD be the BEST MOVIE. I mean yeah, yeah it has the USP of shooting with the same actors for more than 10 years or something. But where the heck is the story???

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 9th February 2015 at 11:22.
Old 9th February 2015, 22:29   #6006
BHPian

For those looking for a movie that can propel them into a deep thought, watch Lone Survivor.
Saw it 2 times already. Fantastic acting, beautiful locations, enchanting background score and a very emotional ending. Must watch for military/war movie enthusiasts!

Rating : 4/5
Old 9th February 2015, 22:38   #6007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Watched 'The Terminal' on the weekend. Excellent stuff and Tom Hanks comes up with a tremendous performance. Catherine Zeta Jones looks pretty in her small but significant role. I knew the plot before watching the movie but was in for a shock when came to know that it is based on a real story! Without giving away the plot, I would just like to assert that the original character (whom Tom Hanks portrayed) was in the same situation for about 18 years!
Rating 4.5/5

Saket.
Hi.
Love the movie. Have seen it inbits and pieces quite a few times.
One thing I didnt understand was the last 5 minutes of the movie.
Regards

Last edited by Eddy : 9th February 2015 at 22:39. Reason: No spoilers please
Old 10th February 2015, 21:20   #6008
BHPian

+1 for Lone Survivor.

I found it way better than American Sniper.

I don't recall if I posted it earlier :

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty : 4/5

Actually a very nice movie, different in concept/execution, and does provoke you into thinking about one's own life and desires.

I was very apprehensive of this thinking I will get bored, and the first 15-20 min I thought of abandoning watching the rest too. But don't. In similar fashion to "The Grand Budapest Hotel" , the story builds slowly and you really ought not to judge the movie based on the first half.
Old 11th February 2015, 10:23   #6009
BHPian

The Theory of Everything - 10/10

I simply loved the movie. Acting by the lead actors especially Eddie Redmayne is simply superb. The score is beautiful and complements the movie very well, alongwith a very well written and taut script.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th February 2015 at 10:44. Reason: We don't encourage piracy
Old 11th February 2015, 11:31   #6010
Distinguished - BHPian

The interview

I can understand the furore this caused, since it's quite caustic, a little crass, but tremendously funny! In a bit of a childish manner, but funny.
We practically know nothing of North Korea, so this could be a documentary, for all we know.

A passable nighttime watch, but no kids please.
4/5
Old 13th February 2015, 08:45   #6011

Horrible bosses 2
Raing: 4/5
One movie where I completely switched my mind off and enjoyed the intended "stupid" plot. The 3 leads actors continue the good work from the first movie. The supporting actors - Kevin Spacey, Jen Aniston and Jamie Foxx are AWESOME in their respective roles. A hilarious watch, one that can perk you up when you are down.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th February 2015 at 19:50. Reason: Post eidted.
Old 13th February 2015, 10:34   #6012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
For those looking for a movie that can propel them into a deep thought, watch Lone Survivor.
Saw it 2 times already. Fantastic acting, beautiful locations, enchanting background score and a very emotional ending. Must watch for military/war movie enthusiasts!

Rating : 4/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
+1 for Lone Survivor.

I found it way better than American Sniper.

I don't recall if I posted it earlier :

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty : 4/5

Actually a very nice movie, different in concept/execution, and does provoke you into thinking about one's own life and desires.

I was very apprehensive of this thinking I will get bored, and the first 15-20 min I thought of abandoning watching the rest too. But don't. In similar fashion to "The Grand Budapest Hotel" , the story builds slowly and you really ought not to judge the movie based on the first half.
Lone Survivor was more engaging than American Sniper, also I end up comparing Lone Survivor which is a real story to our army, would our government/army do something like that for our soldiers ?

Anyway, Lone Survivor is a must watch, I ve watched it a couple of times and have always ended up loving it specially the last scene where in the American helicopters/planes and army come in a all guns blazing.
Old 16th February 2015, 17:41   #6013
BHPian

Saw this movie called Drive. It released in 2011.

Initially, I thought it's another Fast & Furious wannabe movie with chase scenes that'll make you go YAWN. I was WRONG.

Brilliant acting by Ryan Gosling and excellent direction. The background music is amazing, and I have downloaded the OST already. The music is perfectly in sync with the story, and I was hooked onto the movie throughout. Has a very deep story, and has uncanny resemblances to some of Tarantino's trademarks. A cult movie. Recommended.

Rating : 4/5.
Old 16th February 2015, 19:38   #6014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Saw this movie called Drive. It released in 2011.

Initially, I thought it's another Fast & Furious wannabe movie with chase scenes that'll make you go YAWN. I was WRONG.

Brilliant acting by Ryan Gosling and excellent direction. The background music is amazing, and I have downloaded the OST already. The music is perfectly in sync with the story, and I was hooked onto the movie throughout. Has a very deep story, and has uncanny resemblances to some of Tarantino's trademarks. A cult movie. Recommended.

Rating : 4/5.
Oh yes, I love this movie! Brilliant acting by Ryan Gosling and of course Walter White - though he has a small part. And the OST is just awesome. I fell in love with the character of Carey Mulligan after watching this movie. A cult movie indeed.
Old 16th February 2015, 20:50   #6015
BHPian

Recently saw Gone Girl, over hyped and strictly one time watch 2.5/5

Riddick released in 2013 continues the legacy and is a great movie 4/5

Interstellar amazing visuals, not much fun on small screen. If seen in theater 4.5/5 and on Plasma 3.5/5

About Time a good romantic sci-fi movie set in UK 3.5/5

12 Angry Men - a black and white movie from the 1950's, great movie with a message on group behavior. Constantly shown in B-schools 3.5/5

Road House - my all time favorite movie from Patrick Swayze 4.5/5.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks