Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2015, 20:59   #5956
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Imitation Game - gripping but far too much time spent on Turing's homosexuality (in a flashback mode but still detracting from the main plot IMHO). Definitely worth a watch for benedict cumberbatch - what an actor!
Old 17th January 2015, 22:47   #5957
Senior - BHPian

Grand Budapest Hotel has got highest number of nominations at Oscars with 9 in all.

Benedict Cumberbatch 's IMITATION GAME has got 8.
Old 17th January 2015, 23:44   #5958
Team-BHP Support

Oh man, and I did not like The Grand Budapest Hotel at all. Will watch Imitation Game next weekend.
Old 18th January 2015, 12:07   #5959
Distinguished - BHPian

The American Sniper - 4/5
Great direction by Eastwood, excellent acting by Cooper, overall the movie is quite good. Eastwood sticks to the life of Chris Kyle on and off the warfield, and his mental and phyiscal issues and does not delve away into other aspects (i.e. the Iraq war).
Old 19th January 2015, 12:57   #5960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Imitation Game - gripping but far too much time spent on Turing's homosexuality (in a flashback mode but still detracting from the main plot IMHO). Definitely worth a watch for benedict cumberbatch - what an actor!
Watched movie this weekend. What a movie!!. 10/10
Old 19th January 2015, 14:26   #5961
Senior - BHPian

I watched Escape Plan last week, on one of those ad-free HBO channels.
Most reviews say that this is pretty lame for a movie that stars Stallone and Schwarzenegger. In my opinion, the movie is awesome if you leave out the fact that the two main actors are living legends.

I rate it 4/5.

However, I still haven't understood the twist in the end even after reading the story multiple times on Wikipedia and IMDB
Old 19th January 2015, 14:41   #5962
Senior - BHPian

American Sniper - 5/5. Amazing storyline. Worth a watch.
Old 19th January 2015, 14:52   #5963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The American Sniper - 4/5
Great direction by Eastwood, excellent acting by Cooper, overall the movie is quite good. Eastwood sticks to the life of Chris Kyle on and off the warfield, and his mental and phyiscal issues and does not delve away into other aspects (i.e. the Iraq war).
These were the words I wanted to hear - that the movie does not focus on the aspecs of the Iraq war. It has now moved to my must-watch list. Love Clint Eastwood!
Old 19th January 2015, 16:49   #5964
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Yes Man last night. The beginning was very promising and there was a great plot to build. But the movie loses the grip as it progresses. Could have been made a lot better. As usual, good skills at display by Jim Carrey.

I would rate that as 2.5/5.
Old 19th January 2015, 16:56   #5965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'm glad that for a change, the film makers didn't gloss over it like what they did in A Beautiful Mind. Turing unfortunately paid the ultimate price for it so it most definitely deserved screen time.

It is also especially relevant for India where we have archaic laws that would probably have prosecuted Turing even today.
Old 19th January 2015, 17:07   #5966
BHPian

Watched American Sniper yesterday. Well acted & well directed. Eastwood has probably tried to stay as close to reality as possible so not a lot of dramatisation... Which is good !!

May be my expectations were too much considering it was a Client Eastwood film. A good watch nonetheless.

I would give it 7/10. Go for it...

Last edited by suhas_raj : 19th January 2015 at 17:08.
Old 19th January 2015, 17:12   #5967
BHPian

I was actually quite disappointed that "gone girl" didn't make the cut. Fincher created something magical, transfixing the audience literally ( I was not getting up from my seat, not wanting the movie to end).

the book was ok, it was not as gripping as the movie was. But in fincher's hands the characters are coated with layers of intrigue all over. It was one of those movies that bettered the book

But again, who cares as long as its in IMDB top 250 - that's what stays thru time. Oscars will come and go
Old 19th January 2015, 17:25   #5968
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
It was one of those movies that bettered the book
That's some compliment for the movie.

I am yet to see this for any other movie/book other than The Godfather.
Old 19th January 2015, 17:40   #5969
BHPian

About scifi this year:

There were some low-budget scifi movies this year. These need a mention because these days scifi is tending towards the action(blow things up on the big screen and people will sell their souls to you)

Under the skin
Predestination

under the skin was actually bad. I mean the movie could have been a lot better. The novel (Michel faber wrote this) was a beauty, prose as penetrating as knife in butter, each sentence so thoroughly measured, each thought so beautifully chiseled. Most importantly, this was a regular novel that used the scifi motif to explore the existential angst of an alien...
the movie on the other hand was none of the above- obviously you can't be lyrical in a movie, you cant just read lines from the book. so when you take those things out of a 150 page puny book what you are left with is just 2 pages worth of plot. so the movie was bad

Predestination was awesome. If you have seen "time crimes" or any of the mind-bending time travel movies then this will make your day

of course we can also talk about the big movies of which I think "edge of tomorrow" was the most original I have seen in a long time

Forgot to add "Time Lapse"
It is a poorly produced B movie. but the storyline will keep you talking for days. it is another mind-bending paradoxes of time travel

Last edited by SyncNest : 19th January 2015 at 18:01. Reason: forgot time lapse
Old 19th January 2015, 22:31   #5970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post

Predestination was awesome. If you have seen "time crimes" or any of the mind-bending time travel movies then this will make your day

of course we can also talk about the big movies of which I think "edge of tomorrow" was the most original I have seen in a long time

Forgot to add "Time Lapse"
It is a poorly produced B movie. but the storyline will keep you talking for days. it is another mind-bending paradoxes of time travel
Check out primer. Its the best of the genre IMHO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks