Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 19:40   #5821
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Something to note for those Nolan & Imax fans!!

http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...cle6552598.ece
Old 9th November 2014, 22:18   #5822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Is Interstellar by any chance like Noah? That movie bored me that I slept while sitting on chair.
Noah was crap, utter crap. Had very high hopes.
Old 9th November 2014, 22:49   #5823
BHPian

Interstellar - will rake in most movie awards! Brilliant concept and unbelievably portrayed and visualized. Conveying complex concepts through visual depiction, that is easy to interpret to the viewer, is way too impressive here.
Old 10th November 2014, 03:55   #5824
Senior - BHPian

Interstellar! What-a-movie! Nolan delivers yet again. Absolutely stunning, surreal and mind boggling movie. Didnt even realize when the 3 hours of the movie flew by. A real visual treat in IMAX.

Outstanding - 10/10!

Last edited by _raVan_ : 10th November 2014 at 03:58.
Old 10th November 2014, 08:49   #5825
Senior - BHPian

Was planning to see interstellar and was wondering if I need to do some home work like the space time continuum, singularity etc. Guys?
Old 10th November 2014, 10:43   #5826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Was planning to see interstellar and was wondering if I need to do some home work like the space time continuum, singularity etc. Guys?
Might contain Spoilers:

No not really - how ever some terms such as a black hole, wormhole, multiverse - which are fairly mainstream, should be known to quickly grasp the concept. Enough said.
Old 10th November 2014, 10:48   #5827
BHPian

Caught the late night show of "Gone Girl" at PVR Oberoi on Friday night. I got a feeling that I would have enjoyed reading the book more. If it were my type, which it is unfortunately isn't.
Good performances all around, with a special mention to Rosamund Pike, whose Amy managed to scare the sh*t out of me.
Old 11th November 2014, 15:56   #5828
Distinguished - BHPian

I write this as one of the biggest fans of Nolan. Now my movie tastes are usually different from the mainstream preferences. Chances are I may avoid a movie completely if its getting praises by everyone.

Christopher Nolan though, in his early 30's had redefined the way movies were made. It all started with a black & white mini movie project called Following, then unto another mini project Memento. Insomnia followed next with a stellar cast. What really boosted Nolan's presence was the Batman trilogy. The character off a comic book whose movie was expected to be rife with impossible scenarios as in the case of all comic book movies, suddenly stood tall as a mere mortal in a realistically corrupt decadent society. He felt pain and anger against the wrongdoers and could only control his emotions by protecting the city he was born in. Backed by an ensemble of dedicated method actors the trilogy has received much more critical acclaim than any other in IMDB. The Prestige was equally good though not nearly in the same scale. It was quite obvious that Nolan was catching up with or overtaking movie makers like Spielberg & James Cameron with only a handful of movies.

Now another movie I saw was 2001:A Space Odyssey. I wondered why was Interstellar being compared to a classic movie and upon seeing it, 'twas obvious. Yes the similarity is only in the range of 2% but its there. 2001: is a movie far ahead of its time made by another maverick director Stanley Kubrick. Interstellar though, disappointed me. Yes. It wasn't Nolan's best effort at all because if he's capable of bringing to life a comic book character, he could have done so much more to a real physics-based movie. The story seems to be choppy and short in the beginning and very slow and operatic in the end. Its one of his longest movies @ 3 hours but content wise far from HIS best. Granted there is just too much to condense but as a big fan, this surely isn't Nolan enough for me. After Dallas Buyers Club, this didn't seem Matthew's best either. 2.5/5.

Last edited by dark.knight : 11th November 2014 at 16:04.
Old 11th November 2014, 18:11   #5829
BHPian

just saw interstellar. went with high expectations hearing the reviews about the visuals and music etc. well, it wasnt at all boring, but for me it wasnt that "wow" experience as well.

i just didn't like the casting, it seems. maybe after seeing oblivion, i was just wishing it was tom cruise instead of mathew mcConaughey ( i do like mathew McConaughey really, he was brilliant in Mud) , but here , he dint impress me much.

maybe, for me the let down was some pretty amazing visuals of the outerspace, like in gravity or even elysium. and after the dark knight visuals, expectations on this were pretty much sky high.

for me, its a good movie, but not one i would again go to watch.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th November 2014 at 20:57. Reason: Spoilers removed, please don't post any spoilers, thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 23:57   #5830
Senior - BHPian

Saw Interstellar and I felt it was unremarkable. I loved the robots though. Unique design which is very eye-catching and effective.

Caught the trailer of 'In the heart of the sea' by Ron Howard and it looks very promising. He is one of my favorite directors.
Old 12th November 2014, 20:49   #5831
BHPian

Interstellar: Really mixed feelings on this one. Maybe I need to watch this movie once again to really like it.

The first half is kinda slow and some smaller plots did seem unnecessary. I am a huge Nolan fan and have watched all his movies at least n times. Some scenes are outstanding and amazingly executed and Hans Zimmer has nailed it to keep us on the edge of the seat.

Some questions are still unanswered and I found a great article about it as well.

For people who have watched it see the link below:

http://eversmarterworld.wordpress.com/
Old 12th November 2014, 22:56   #5832
BHPian

About people not liking or feeling Interstellar is not at *that* level - always remember that when you have such high expectations from anything, very rarely it will be fulfilled. Just my experience with movies, especially. Always go with an open mind.
Old 12th November 2014, 23:40   #5833
Distinguished - BHPian

The november man

Did this come up here in discussions?

Stars Pierce brosnan, and the Ex bond takes on teh brooding violent nature of the current one.
Throughout this movie, you can take away prosnan, and drop in craig with nothing lost.
Its a good, violent spy flick, more with black ops, and not le carre.

Olga is be-ay-youtiful!!

4/5

One point missing due to the uninspiring protege who brosnan goes against.
Old 12th November 2014, 23:52   #5834
Team-BHP Support

Gone Girl - Is it ok to watch this with extended family ? Profanity is ok, but nudity may not be comfortable.
Old 13th November 2014, 10:00   #5835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Gone Girl - Is it ok to watch this with extended family ? Profanity is ok, but nudity may not be comfortable.
We have fair amount of profanity.
I don't think there is any more nudity/action than the "regular" music videos
But, more than the nudity- what it conveys is a bit dark/twisted. (If I say anything more -that will be a spoiler)

Movie is FOR SURE just superb.

My rating : 9/10

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 13th November 2014 at 10:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks