Team-BHP - The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55910-english-movies-thread-no-spoilers-please-387.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluevolt (Post 3569744)
The Shawshank Redemption
IMO, this is the best movie ever made.

Felt the same when I watched it - but then I watched Godfather :) And... went OMG!
Quote:

PS - Any recommendation for some inspirational movies? Like this one or Pursuit of Happyness which is equivalently great movie.

You have already got a lot of suggestions, I would add one to the list, a movie which gets missed so often but among the best sports/inspirational/true moves ever : Cinderella Man

Hope you guys must've have seen the Furious7 Trailer. :)
If not:

http://youtu.be/Skpu5HaVkOc

Watching Fury & Gone Girl back to back tomorrow. Then this Friday Interstellar & Nightcrawler. Week after that The Imitation Game starring Benedict Cumberbatch & Foxcatcher. December will see Christian Bale in Ridley Scott's Exodus: Gods and Kings & The Hobbit: Battle of The Five Armies. What a super end to the year with a spate of good movies!!!

Gone Girl

What a stupendous movie. It starts slow but, gets so amazingly gripping and has so many twists and turns that it will just keep you guessing despite its 2.5 hour length which is long by hollywood standards.

One of the most awesome and intelligent movies that I saw this year. It's also twisted and sick at times and makes you wonder and realize truly how complicated relationships are.

This movie also follows a quentin tarantino style of presentation of going back and forth between the time periods.

MUST WATCH

4.5/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 3569881)
Gravity : Literally a puller downer. Utter crap of a movie wonder what they spent the millions on.

:Shockked: - Really surprised. You are probably the only person I know who has referred to Gravity as "utter crap". It has become one of my all time favourite movies alongside - The Matrix (Part 1), The Shawshank Redemption among many others!! I guess to each his own! :thumbs up

Quote:

The Shawshank Redemption

What a movie! ......Any recommendation for some inspirational movies?

You should check out most movies based on true stories, they generally tend to be inspirational.
A Beautiful Mind (if you haven't already seen it) - Ron Howard simply excels as one of the few great storytellers!!
October Sky
Remember the Titans
The Blind Side - lovely movie
Erin Brokovich
Of course - Gravity!! - even though it is fictional
... Another movie I would like to recommend is "Down Periscope". It isn't exactly what one would call an inspirational movie, being typecast as a comedy - which it is, and a very good one at that - but it is the typical story of the underdog(s) coming out on top irrespective of the odds. Don't miss it!

Martyrs- 2008.

In continuation to a snuff film "The Serbian Film" which I had watched sometime back.
Not the usual stuff but pretty dark and intriguing!!

Watched "Fury" on Sunday. I think this is a MUST WATCH! I would rate 5/5 coz I do NOT find a reason for a lower score. Beautiful acting, background score and war scenes.

Quote:

Gravity : Literally a puller downer. Utter crap of a movie wonder what they spent the millions on.

+10

The screenplay mostly had Sandra Bullock nervously panting & panicking like an incompetent astronaut! 1/5

Watched "The Judge" :

Abit cliche'd story-line, but excellent movie overall. 4/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3571315)
Watched "Fury" on Sunday. I think this is a MUST WATCH! I would rate 5/5 coz I do NOT find a reason for a lower score. Beautiful acting, background score and war scenes.

Beautiful but it was not much of a story - just the event of a few days. Gripping watch nevertheless.

Really brutal though - not recommended for those who feel squeamish at the sight of a partially blown off human face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 3571364)
Beautiful but it was not much of a story - just the event of a few days. Gripping watch nevertheless.

Really brutal though - not recommended for those who feel squeamish at the sight of a partially blown off human face.

Is this worth watching at IMAX ? Thanks

Quote:

While I really enjoyed the 3D visuals, I also think that the storyline was a bit poor.

Still, It was worth it for the effects. The 'spinning' scene was really awesome!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3570934)
Gone Girl

What a stupendous movie. It starts slow but, gets so amazingly gripping and has so many twists and turns that it will just keep you guessing despite its 2.5 hour length which is long by hollywood standards.

One of the most awesome and intelligent movies that I saw this year. It's also twisted and sick at times and makes you wonder and realize truly how complicated relationships are.

This movie also follows a quentin tarantino style of presentation of going back and forth between the time periods.

MUST WATCH

4.5/5

Totally agree. :thumbs up

A must watch. Typical crazy David Fincher narration.
Especially go with better half. You will have sleep in your hall for for a week after watching it though. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by pratyush6 (Post 3571515)
Is this worth watching at IMAX ? Thanks

Though the movie is stunning :thumbs up, nothing generous enough to seek IMAX.
My IMAX experience at PVR was pathetic due to the immensely cramped top row seating! :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa (Post 3571908)
Though the movie is stunning :thumbs up, nothing generous enough to seek IMAX.
My IMAX experience at PVR was pathetic due to the immensely cramped top row seating! :Frustrati

Yup and nobody tells you that. After my previous experience I simply do not block the top row in any theatre. Meanwhile booked those tickets anyway - the screen is definitely larger than usual screens IMHO

Caught up both Gone Girl and Fury over the weekend, that too in IMAX.
Different movies per se, both are excellent watch.

I would place 'Gone Girl' a little higher on appeal due to more entertaining theme as well as story-line (as already pointed out by folks here, it has a bunch of twists - a few you may foresee but for most parts they would surprise you) - and the ending leaves you craving for more even though the movie runs for 2.5 hrs.

'Fury' on the other hand is more about execution, simple story-line but plays out very well on screen. In my opinion if choice be there this needs to be seen in IMAX as the frames have so much to show most of the time. Depicts the horrors of the long war and how killing the foes (or oneself at times) became such an routine for people involved. High on emotional quotient as well.

My ratings would:
- Gone Girl : 4.5/5
- Fury : 4/5