Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 15:55   #5581
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched Frailty last night. Pretty near thriller. Watch it if you feel like watching a decent thriller/horror film.

Finally managed to finish off Das Boot. It took me 3 one hour sessions to watch it. Its a pretty difficult movie to watch in one sitting. Thats a perfect compliment for the movie, it manages to permeate the claustrophobia that it is about to the viewers.
Old 30th March 2014, 17:12   #5582
BHPian

Watched two movies recently.

Rush:
Really wonderful move for F1 fans. Brilliant acting and tight screenplay.
Score: 4/5

The LEGO movie:
Based on the amazing reviews on the net went and watched this movie in 3D
Its based on the characters from Lego building blocks.
Well to put it in simple terms, its not worth the to watch in big screen.
Some parts were really funny, rest were plain boring. Felt the movie is very long though the running time was less than 2 hrs. The best part during the movie is that a guy sitting in front seat got fed up and started sleeping. His snoring was so loud that people had more fun watching him sleep than the movie.
The concept was good, animation was perfect. But you just cant connect with the movie.
Score: 2/5
Old 1st April 2014, 17:22   #5583
BHPian

Wrapped up Noah & Need for Speed over the last weekend.

Noah: 7/10.
Not quite as good as we were expecting it to be. Lacked the awesome/epic feel IMHO. Still, worth a watch.

Need For Speed: 5/10.
Let me put it this way. This movie could have been called anything. Harry, Roger, George, anything.
But for some reason, it is called Need For Speed. And for the life of me, I could not figure out why it is called Need For Speed.

Now, I haven't seen Breaking Bad, and have no idea why Aaron Paul is so famous.
But I sincerely hope it's not because of the way he delivers his dialogues.
He tries to pull a deep gruff voice, as a wannabe Vin "Dominic" Diesel from the Fast & Furious franchise, and fails miserably.
His voice sounds too made up, too fake.
He is too short, and lacks any sort of presence on the screen.
The movie lacks any sort of punch, and you come out of the theatre feeling pretty hollow.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 1st April 2014 at 17:23.
Old 3rd April 2014, 04:31   #5584
Senior - BHPian

I do watch a lot of English movies, but hardly post here. But today I am compelled to post here.

Why ? Because, I watched 'Gravity'.

And watching this movie on a 19" LED is the worst thing I have done, and I would regret it forever.

Coming to the movie, watching 90 mins of space sequence is unbelievable. Its' all the same, wherever you look, but they way those 90 minutes in space are spent, the camera angles, took my breath away.

And not to forget, what a stellar performance by Sandra Bullock. I can imagine her looks from the movie Speed. And then I saw her now. What a transformation ! Maturity and experience speaks volumes in her looks and acting. Absolutely blown over.

Wish George Clooney had some more active role in the movie.

I had seen Life of Pi, shot almost entirely in an Ocean. And then this one, shot entirely in Space. Hollywood, take a bow !!

Steven Price's background score captures the emotion in every scene. Loved the end scene, where Sandra takes her first step in Gravity. The background score gave me goosebumps !!

Ok, enough said. Let me quickly find a multiplex, where it may be still playing. I have to watch it in 3D and Dolby Digital. Else, my life is a waste.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 3rd April 2014 at 04:41.
Old 5th April 2014, 19:50   #5585
BHPian

Movie: Captain America, The Winter Soldier (CAWS)

Review: This is the second movie in the Captain America series with the first one being Captain America: The First Avengers in 2011. I had not seen the 1st part before watching CAWS. In case you have also not seen the first instalment and are wondering if you need to – well watching the first part is not a requirement. I would suggest watching the trailer of the 1st movie on Youtube to get a feel of the movie and go for CAWS (in case you cannot watch the 1st part). Note that there are some connections between the two parts but it is not something which will prevent you from enjoying the movie.

I was never a fan of Captain America character; actually I do not even know a lot about him and his history. Possibly he is not that popular or has a big fan base like Iron Man or Batman but I am sure there are some diehard fans of Captain America.

In my view, this movie is more like Iron Man 3. I was not disappointed by this movie but it was nothing like Iron Man 1 or Dark Knight. All in all, it is a good action flick with some good stunts – the fighting sequences were really good. I would definitely recommend watching this movie – especially when the other choice is ‘Main Tera Hero’.

P.S – I am irritated by the fact that this movie is released in 3D. I did not find even a single 3D quality scene. I saw it in INOX Malad, Mumbai and the quality of the 3D glasses were pathetic. I have seen this is all 3D movies – the brightness of the picture goes down drastically as you wear the 3D glasses. I do not enjoy watching 3D movies because I have to wear the 3D glasses over my normal spectacles and I keep making adjustments to both the glasses to get comfortable.
Old 6th April 2014, 08:03   #5586
Team-BHP Support

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 4.5/5

Terrific movie! Loved the plot, loved the new adversary, good VFX and excellent fight choreography. Don't miss the mid-credits sequence!
Old 6th April 2014, 08:32   #5587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
P.S – I am irritated by the fact that this movie is released in 3D. I did not find even a single 3D quality scene. I saw it in INOX Malad, Mumbai and the quality of the 3D glasses were pathetic. I have seen this is all 3D movies – the brightness of the picture goes down drastically as you wear the 3D glasses. I do not enjoy watching 3D movies because I have to wear the 3D glasses over my normal spectacles and I keep making adjustments to both the glasses to get comfortable.
+100. This is such an irritating thing these days. In Vadodara we are not left with any option as all shows for 99.9% of english movies released are in 3D. And as you said, most of these movies do not merit 3D at all. Infact the only movie I enjoyed watching in 3D was Gravity and Hobbit part 2. Its so annoying to wear those 3D glasses over your regular spectacles only to realize later that the movie did not have any 3D sequences.
Old 6th April 2014, 11:12   #5588
Distinguished - BHPian

Movie: Captain America - The Winter Soldier
Rating: 4/5

Feedback: Good plot, solid acting, especially the negative role played by Sebastian Stan (Winter Soldier); except till the end when he starts speaking. A far better movie than the recent lot that came out of the Marvel studio (Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World). Waste of good actors like Robert Redford, however Anthony Mackie does a good job in the supporting cast.

For best effect, watch it in 3D as the movie hardly makes use of the 3D technology at all.
Old 9th April 2014, 15:42   #5589
Senior - BHPian

Captain America - The Winter Soldier
Simply loved it. Guess its the best one after Avengers. Not a single dull moment. Good story line and awesome action scenes. Honestly, first one was so meh i had low hopes from this one and was pleasantly surprised. Must watch.
Yeah, 3d was a waste as this was more of a 2d.

Rating- 9/10
Old 16th April 2014, 13:59   #5590
BANNED

I saw a movie a few years back where a cheating husband ( a doctor ) is exposed by his wife in a convention center in Florida. Too bad, I neither remember the name of the movie nor the starcast. Can anyone help me with it please? I know it's not much of a clue but just in case, someone remembers it.
Old 16th April 2014, 14:56   #5591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

Now, I haven't seen Breaking Bad, and have no idea why Aaron Paul is so famous.
But I sincerely hope it's not because of the way he delivers his dialogues.
He tries to pull a deep gruff voice, as a wannabe Vin "Dominic" Diesel from the Fast & Furious franchise, and fails miserably.
His voice sounds too made up, too fake.
He is too short, and lacks any sort of presence on the screen.
The movie lacks any sort of punch, and you come out of the theatre feeling pretty hollow.
Aaron Paul acts in a similar manner in Breaking Bad. The voice is same gruff and he looks like a school going kid even with beard etc. I have seen the entire Breaking Bad and in just one or two episodes the guy was able to act well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Late to the party...watched Gravity last night. Putting it in short, I was disappointed. Had heard a lot about it plus the Oscars too. The story was lame and far from gripping. The only good thing about the movie is the stunning visuals. On that front, the movie scores max, but as a movie, I would give it a max 3/5, that too for the great visuals.
I 2nd your thoughts, I saw the movie in a movie hall in 3D but came out hollow and nothing to remember from the movie. I cannot get whats all the hoohaa for this movie. Only saving grace is the visuals but that's only in at the most 3 scenes otherwise the story and acting is pretty lame.

Last edited by motomaverick : 16th April 2014 at 15:02.
Old 16th April 2014, 15:04   #5592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I do watch a lot of English movies, but hardly post here. But today I am compelled to post here.

Why ? Because, I watched 'Gravity'.

And watching this movie on a 19" LED is the worst thing I have done, and I would regret it forever.
Ok, enough said. Let me quickly find a multiplex, where it may be still playing. I have to watch it in 3D and Dolby Digital. Else, my life is a waste.
I can not imagine Gravity on a TV (19" or 56" does not make a difference). It is the best movie to be seen in 3D, or I must say it is the only movie that used 3D as it should be used.
Old 18th April 2014, 14:14   #5593
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I was back home by 7.15 am after casting my vote. So I managed to catch 'Top Secret!' on HBO.

What a superb spoof movie! I laughed throughout the movie. Once I even fell from the sofa while laughing, and hurt my wrist.

The movie has many running gags. I guess my love for simple and clean comedies help me catch such gags easily. Compared to this film, the spoof movies of recent times (Date Movie, Scary Movie etc) are simply PATHETIC.

Later I found out that:
- it is Val Kilmer's first movie
- it was made by the same team that did 'Airplane!' - so laugh riot is expected

Why can't they make such movies anymore?!
Old 19th April 2014, 01:40   #5594
BHPian

Captain America - The Winter Soldier : 10/10
Nothing more needs to be said. All out entertainer. Was so impressed with it, that we saw it twice over two weekends. Watching Cap'n kick ass is just awesome.

Rio 2 : 8/10
Good movie. Found it to be better than the first one. Very colourful, a bit sing-song-y as well. Not that is it bad, or too much like Frozen, but still nice. Kids will love it, for sure.

Going to see Transcendence tomorrow.
Old 1st May 2014, 11:16   #5595
Team-BHP Support

Brick Mansions- 3/5

The trailer was nice and it looked inspired by the 2004 French film- District B13. And it had Paul Walker for the last time on the big screen!

However- turned out to be a remake of the old Parkour film- scene to scene, although that's not such a bad thing. It delivers on the action promised.

David Belle runs, leaps and jumps over every sort of obstacle thrown at him, while Paul Walker adds his own charm and style of action to the movie. I felt he was a better choice than the original choice of Cyril Raffaelli in B13. Overall - a good watch if you like action movies, and haven't watched the French original.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks