Team-BHP - The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55910-english-movies-thread-no-spoilers-please-370.html)

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - 4 Star Rating - Great acting by Leonardo but Martin got carried away with extreme nudity. Must see.

The Art of the Steal (2013) - 3 Star Rating - Nice and realistic, but kiddish in some place.

12 Years a Slave (2013) - 4 Star - Definite Oscar pick.

Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - 4 Star Rating - May get best actor Oscar.

The Counselor (2013) - 3 Star Rating - Depressing in the end but that's how sometimes life is.

Gravity (2013) - 4.5 Star Rating - Edge of the seat. Brilliant NASA photography. Would have loved to see this in square format imax.

Captain Phillips (2013) - 4 Star Rating - Again edge of the seat. Based on true Somalian hijacking.

Jackass presents Bad Grandpa (2013) - 3 Star Rating - If you have a gang of friends watch this with them. Hilarious but deplorable at the same time.

Why we ride.

A well made American bike documentary. Beautiful shots, beautiful bikes. A must watch for bikers.

Watched Hachiko today to see myself in a flood of tears. Emotionally touching! Would rate it 5/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 3381882)
Watched Hachiko today to see myself in a flood of tears. Emotionally touching! Would rate it 5/5

Watched it on your recommendation...and glad that I watched it. Beautiful movie; emotionally touching. It's based on a true story. Thanks for sharing else I might have missed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3382647)
Watched it on your recommendation...and glad that I watched it. Beautiful movie; emotionally touching. It's based on a true story. Thanks for sharing else I might have missed it.

I am loving my pet dog much more after watching this movie. I must say dogs are second to none in loyalty and affection. I wish they could live longer than humans do and I feel they deserve to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 3382779)
...I wish they could live longer than humans do and I feel they deserve to.

The only reason I have no pets. I like dogs, they are so loving and faithful...just am afraid of losing them in 10-12 years at the most.
BTW, I have no idea how the crew in the movie managed to get dogs 'act' so well!clap: (There were 3 different dogs used for filming different age spans of Hachi)
Thanks again for sharing.

Regards,
Saket

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 3381882)

Lovely movie, watching it currently. Thanks for sharing this. This is going to be a problem for me to reach office in time today :)

Edit: Only boner for me, why didn't they get an Indian actor to play the role of the Indian (hot dog) guy?

Another good movie on a pet dog is Red Dog; a lovely movie based on a true story. Again here too, the ending literally gets you in tears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 3382779)
I am loving my pet dog much more after watching this movie. I must say dogs are second to none in loyalty and affection. I wish they could live longer than humans do and I feel they deserve to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatalli (Post 3384409)
Lovely movie, watching it currently. Thanks for sharing this. This is going to be a problem for me to reach office in time today :)

Edit: Only boner for me, why didn't they get an Indian actor to play the role of the Indian (hot dog) guy?

Another good movie on a pet dog is Red Dog; a lovely movie based on a true story. Again here too, the ending literally gets you in tears.

Watch these if you like Hachiko:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397313/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1 (Eight below)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822832/?ref_=nv_sr_2 (Marley and me)

On the animal front, I loved War horse. There was no tearfest at the end of that.

Quote:

Edit: Only boner for me

Scusi?
:D

Quote:

Lovely movie, watching it currently. Thanks for sharing this.Another good movie on a pet dog is Red Dog[/url]. Again here too, the ending literally gets you in tears.

Thanks for pointing me to Red Dog. I am downloading it right now :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by archat68 (Post 3384451)
Watch these if you like Hachiko

Thanks archat for sharing them. I'll download Eight Below. I have watched Marley&Me for umpteen times still I'd love to watch it again.:D

World War Z - 4.5 out of 5 - I am not a fan of Zombie movies and neither do I like Brad Pitt, but this one is just so realistic and has such a brilliant story line that it leaves you on the edge of the seat. The way they have shown Israel with Jerusalem in it is fantastic. Must watch

Runner Runner - 3.5 out of 5 - Its an intelligent story with Justin Timberlake playing his part really well. Ben Afflick looks stone cold but I guess his role demanded that. Watch if you like intelligent stories.

Has anyone seen Monuments of Men?

How is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by archat68 (Post 3384451)

I loved Eight Below, can't say the same for Marley & Me. I think a lot matters on how the human quotient is played in these movies. Richard Gere (Hachiko), Josh Lucas (Red Dog), Paul Walker (Eight Below) acted perfectly in these movies, allowing the main focus to be on the dog/pet.

As a kid, I also loved the Free Willy series (although the follow movies weren't as good as the first one).

On the other hand, movies like Marley & Me, 101 Dalmations, Babe, etc are not of the same level (even though they are pretty good movies)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 3384540)
Scusi?
:D

Excused :D

Refer to link
Especially the 2nd definition. NOT the 3rd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3384680)

How is it?

Didn't like it. i would give it 2.5/5 or max 3/5

Not worth the big screen

What about 300 Rise of an Empire? Any reviews ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3384680)

How is it?

Monuments men.
If you're a fan of the period, you'll love it.
It presents something apart from the usual stuff about the period.