Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2014, 23:17   #5521
Senior - BHPian

The man from Earth
One word. Amazing. If you like watching a movie with an intelligent script and brilliant dialogues then do watch it.

This is why I love Hollywood cos they come up with such unique ideas and implement in such a way which we can never even imagine of making.

Not giving any idea of the story as it might destroy the fun.
Rating - 9.5/10
Old 11th February 2014, 01:06   #5522
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched quite a few movies in he last month and a half - a few worth mentioning:

You're Next - Somehow I just love these kinda slasher movies where everyone dies, something in the leagues of 'Drag me to hell', 'The cabin in the woods' etc. This one is not in the league of the other two I mentioned, but worth a watch if you a fan of slasher survival type movies. Graphic violence warning.

12 Years a slave - I shall be very surprised if this one does not pick up multiple academy awards. Especially the one for adapted screenplay. Must watch.

American Hustle - contrary to all the hoopla and the star studded cast, this film failed to move me much. May pick up quite a few Academy awards after a good outing the Golden globes.

Rush - Two great drivers, two very different personalities, one legendary rivalry, portrayed in vivid colors by Ron Howard. F1 fans should not miss this one.

Don Jon - If you don't want to watch it for the message, watch it for Scarlett Johansson. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one lucky guy.Either way, do watch it. Alone.

Gravity - Should have watched it in an IMAX theater. 22 inches of desktop monitor does not do justice to the sweeping visuals.
P.S - The ode to Wall-E is awesome.

Ender's Game - Always gives the impression that something big is 'round the corner, and fails to live up to my excitement. Good vfx, but Harrison Ford is wasted in this movie.
Old 19th February 2014, 12:18   #5523
Senior - BHPian

Robocop
Nothing great. Nothing bad. What I expected I got. For someone who has seen all Robocop movies should be satisfied with this one. However they could have done a better ending. Sequels should follow.
Rating - 6/10
Old 21st February 2014, 10:32   #5524
BHPian

Watched Nebraska yesterday. A beautiful movie with very nice scenery and locations.
The whole movie is shot black and white. It's the first B&W movie I have watched and loved every bit of it.
Nothing feels overly done in this movie. The expressions and emotions of all the characters have come out very nicely. A simple no brainer movie and I guarantee it will put a smile on your face.
A must watch for everyone. Highly recommended.

My rating: 9.5/10
Old 21st February 2014, 11:33   #5525
Senior - BHPian

wait a second guys - lets not have different scales. either it be on scale of 5 or a scale of 10, not both.

it is bheri bheri confusing
Old 21st February 2014, 12:13   #5526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
wait a second guys - lets not have different scales. either it be on scale of 5 or a scale of 10, not both.

it is bheri bheri confusing
Can't be bheri bheri so.... I can understand it to be slightly confusing, nothing more granted.

Movie review.
Homefront

Jason statham.
Stars as an ex cop, who has left his days as an undercover cop behind, but it catches up with him. Typical statham funfest, with a bit of him playing a father.

Oh, also has Winona Ryder and James Franco as the badness!!!
Nice, fun watch.
2/pi.

Kidding.
A full 4/5!
Old 21st February 2014, 14:00   #5527
Team-BHP Support

Forgot to mention. We watched RoboCop last weekend. The movie was strictly okay’ish! After having watched Dredd (oh man! Now that was something!) some time back, we were expecting this one to have some kickass action and chase sequences but failed. SFX and the character designs were good for what is a 2014 movie but the ones that were featured in the 1987 original were phenomenal! I still recall the good ol’ days during my fifth grade back in the ‘90s when I borrowed the cartridge for the 8-bit RoboCop game from a friend and enjoyed it thoroughly! There were awesome boss battles.

This seemed like a waste of reboot to me. I hope the sequel has a better (darker) storyline. 3/5

Btw those who followed the TV serial Dexter (at least until season five) would know Stan Liddy:

Name:  peterweller.png
Views: 976
Size:  207.9 KB

He played the original RoboCop. He is an excellent voice actor as well. He had lent his voice for Bruce Wayne/Batman in the animated 2-part movie - Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. You should watch it if you haven’t!
Old 21st February 2014, 15:06   #5528
Senior - BHPian

Leon:The Professional

Jean Reno plays an assassin , and Natalie Portman joins him as a young girl seeking revenge for her slain family. Full of French quirkiness, the film is a violent but a thoroughly enjoyable watch.

My rating : 4/5.
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:05   #5529
Senior - BHPian

The Monuments Men.
First Class film. Anyone who likes those period WW2 films that do not depend overly on Blood,gore and sadness to prop up their plots and who loves a good story will like this film.
Stellar cast!
Old 24th February 2014, 08:44   #5530
Senior - BHPian

Finally managed to watch 'Inglorious Basterds'. It was long overdue.

Great movie, though a little on the bloody-gory side, with people scooping out soldiers' scalps, Brad carving a cross on Christopher Waltz's forehead and all.

Christopher Waltz was just AMAZING ! He is actually the nucleus of this movie. No wonder he won all the awards for Supporting Actor category all over the world including Oscars, Golden Globes, BAFTA and all.

Brad Pitt is damn good as always, however he has got pretty less screen time, which is unlike any of his other films. But that shows the focus of the story and direction.

A bit lengthy, but very good movie nonetheless.

Rating: 4/5
Old 24th February 2014, 09:18   #5531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The man from Earth
One word. Amazing. If you like watching a movie with an intelligent script and brilliant dialogues then do watch it.

This is why I love Hollywood cos they come up with such unique ideas and implement in such a way which we can never even imagine of making.

Not giving any idea of the story as it might destroy the fun.
Rating - 9.5/10
I've seen it at least 3 times and I can do an encore again and again. This film is an absolute masterclass. The most underrated film I know of. I'd rate it perfect 10/10. This film became popular thanks to file-sharing services and the makers actually thanked the file-sharing systems for it!
Old 25th February 2014, 23:15   #5532
Senior - BHPian

I take it that on a scale of 5, ratings stand for
1-Avoid
2-Poor
3-Above Average
4-Very Good
5-Masterpiece

And .5s stand for
2.5-Average
3.5-Good
4.5-Excellent

With this, I start off with a movie which I will give 5/5. That movie is - The Lives of Others (2006)

It is a German movie dubbed in English. The movie is set in East Germany in the year 1984. It is about a surveillance agent of the East German secret police Stasi. If you knew about the working of Stasi, you will enjoy even more.
Old 26th February 2014, 00:16   #5533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I've seen it at least 3 times and I can do an encore again and again. This film is an absolute masterclass. The most underrated film I know of. I'd rate it perfect 10/10. This film became popular thanks to file-sharing services and the makers actually thanked the file-sharing systems for it!
Long back I stated in this very forum that 'The man from Earth' may be the best sci-fi movie I have seen that does not have a single special effect. Be aware that this movie divides audiences sharply as men of faith find the concepts very disturbing. Even the same is reflected in IMDB comments section.

Coming back - Oscar fever is on and I caught up on some more movies, all of which IMO are must watch:

Philomena - Drama with thriller undertones, with some dark comedy just at the right place in right amounts! Both Steve Coogan and Judi Dench are superb. This one should fight it out in the best actress and the best adapted screenplay categories, and IMO has fair chance in both!
Do watch.

Captain Philips - There is never a dull moment in this movie. But as with memoirs made into films, you already know what's gonna happen - so you actually lose interest in the story and try and look for something else.
To me, that something else was Barkhad Abdi as Muse.
Too bad that he has to fight it out this year with the likes of Bradley Cooper, Jonah Hill, Michael Fassbender, and last but not the least, Jared Leto (my favorite this year) for the best supporting actor's Academy award.

Nebraska - My instant reaction after finishing Nebraska was that this should win one of the screenplay awards, and later confirmed that this is an original one. But on the same note realized the fact that this film has to compete with the likes of Her, Dallas Buyers Club and American Hustle. Still a very very strong contender for the cinematography award.

Her - A very different and unique concept, yet seems achievable and realistic in near future. Joaquin Phoenix excels in his portrayal of a very confused and lonely guy, and Scarlett Johansson's voice acting is eerily believable. May not be the contender for best picture, but IMO should be in the race for the original screenplay award - where it has a good chance

Dallas Buyer's club - I shall be VERY surprised if this movie doesn't get Jared Leto the academy award for the best supporting actor. Matthew Mcconaughey should have a photo finish with Leonardo Dicaprio for the lead actor's award. This film speaks volumes about the moral and ethic standards of people as a society and as a person. Must watch.

P.S - feel pathetic while watching (or trying to watcg) bollywood movies after these.
Old 26th February 2014, 03:05   #5534
Senior - BHPian

Pompeii.

Verdict - Theek hai. Firstly, i hate the whole 3D movement - its unnecessary IMHO. But such movies in Chennai are almost exclusively in 3D (who the hell will drive 17km in *Chennai* to watch the one show that's 2D when the other ten odd shows including many near to u are in 3D)

The story is simple because the protagonist is a gladiator. Here's how it goes:
Butcher ... Butcher ... meet girl ... Butcher ... Butcher ... fall in love ... Butcher ... Butcher ... get separated ... cataclysmic events ... cataclysmic events ... rescue ... cataclysmic events ...cataclysmic events ... the end.

Your rating depends entirely on how much action you wish to see, and whether you left your brain at home, or not. In my defense - I went for world peace i.e the wife had been ill-advised by colleagues. For the life of me I wanted to see Highway. Maybe this weekend if I'm lucky.
Old 26th February 2014, 08:07   #5535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Pompeii.

Verdict - Theek hai. Firstly, i hate the whole 3D movement - its --------------snip----------------For the life of me I wanted to see Highway. Maybe this weekend if I'm lucky.
Utter waste of a thousand bucks that movie was.
For the first half, we were wondering, "gladiator"?
Why does the hero look like he should have been in one direction or some such? And why the hell is everything so dark?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks