Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 14:07   #4951
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
For people who haven't read the book, debatable. Go only if you enjoy 3D effects.
As has already been said by many people, I'm still scratching my head about the missing dots especially since I haven't read the book.

Since revealing the plot is not kosher, I would appreciate if someone can help me decipher the movie through PM.

Cheers
Old 28th November 2012, 11:40   #4952
MCR
BHPian

Watched Life of Pi yesterday evening.

Its a very intriguing movie. The visuals are breath taking. I am still thinking as to what the story really meant. My wife gave me an analogy of the story though!

My rating - 3.5/5

Last edited by MCR : 28th November 2012 at 11:43.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:17   #4953
Senior - BHPian

^ yep, i agree with that.

Life of Pi

an intriguing story of a person's life from childhood to adulthood (kind of) and the various ups and downs in the journey. like many have stated, the 3D and CGI was tad bit overdone.

i'd go with 3.5/5
Old 28th November 2012, 22:55   #4954
Senior - BHPian

Watched Life of Pi 3D today. The movie is just brilliant!

Checkout the IMDB rating - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454876/. It is rated at 8.4!

I'd rate it 4.5/5

I haven't read the book though.
Old 3rd December 2012, 04:28   #4955
Senior - BHPian

Watched Skyfall a second time here today. I quite liked the "makes more sense" portrayal of the lead character. Apparently the movie is more of a "trend changer" to the series, probably a sign of more sensible story lines being introduced into the over-hyped characterisations so far. However for many hard core JB fans, this movie may be a big disappointment, as he appears more human and vulnerable.

I am hearing very good reviews about the latest Steven Spielberg movie Lincoln. Hope to watch it soon.

Last edited by vasoo : 3rd December 2012 at 04:37.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:31   #4956
Senior - BHPian

Saw Life of Pi and I must say, I was spellbounded by the visuals. It was enchanting, astounding and extremely detailed. The star of the movie was Richard Parker for me. His movements and expressions are so brilliantly shown.

A 4/5 from my side.
Old 4th December 2012, 15:32   #4957
BHPian

Anyone seen "Life of Pi" on IMAX? Is it worth, as have to drive all the way to PVR for that.

The cinemas close to me are the Cinemax on ORR ,Fame Forum Value Mall and Q Cinemas. Hows the 3D experience at these theaters? Last time i had gone for Tintin, i didn't quite like the 3D experience at Cinemax.
Old 4th December 2012, 15:35   #4958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Anyone seen "Life of Pi" on IMAX? Is it worth, as have to drive all the way to PVR for that.

The cinemas close to me are the Cinemax on ORR ,Fame Forum Value Mall and Q Cinemas. Hows the 3D experience at these theaters? Last time i had gone for Tintin, i didn't quite like the 3D experience at Cinemax.
for me, personally, it ain't worth the money you pay at PVR.
Old 4th December 2012, 16:07   #4959
BHPian

Yep, i too felt the same. But a buddy of mine wants to try out IMAX. Its about 550/- per ticket

Among the three cinemas i mentioned , has anyone watched 'Life of Pi" in 3D. Im taking my kid as well, so does any of these theaters provide adjustable 3D glasses. When we went for Tintin , her 3D glasses used to regularly come off her face, and i think she could only manage for a while with the glasses.

And which cinema provides the best 3D experience among them ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
for me, personally, it ain't worth the money you pay at PVR.
Old 4th December 2012, 16:49   #4960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Yep, i too felt the same. But a buddy of mine wants to try out IMAX. Its about 550/- per ticket
That's ridiculously high ( a family of 4 needs to spend 2200 bucks on tickets) and I wonder why they charge so much. IMAX in Hyderabad which incidentally is the pioneer for IMAX in India still charges Rs.250/ticket and we Hydeez feel that's a lot

Regular multiplex tickets across all multiplex screens in Hyderabad is priced a standard Rs.150/ticket 7 days a week while single screen theatres are priced Rs.50 & Rs.60 per ticket

I am given to understand Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi price differently on weekend and weekday. Delhi has normal multiplex theatre ticket priced at Rs.500 which is no less than daylight robbery
Old 4th December 2012, 16:58   #4961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Watched Skyfall .... However for many hard core JB fans, this movie may be a big disappointment, as he appears more human and vulnerable.
spot on there. i watch JB movies for JB who is a super agent. for sensible movies we have other choices. it was a 'rotlu' [kinda serious] movie. thumbs down.
Old 4th December 2012, 17:01   #4962
Senior - BHPian

Finally watched Source Code. Army pilot, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, who is last aware of being on a mission in Afghanistan and wakes up on a commuter train traveling to Chicago. When he looks in the mirror, he sees that he is actually someone else. Soon after, the train explodes and he finds he is trapped in a cockpit somewhere, wounded. He finds he is part of a scientific experiment by the Army to use him to defuse a bomb on the train.

Kinda interesting movie.

4/5
Old 4th December 2012, 17:01   #4963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008

That's ridiculously high ( a family of 4 needs to spend 2200 bucks on tickets) and I wonder why they charge so much. IMAX in Hyderabad which incidentally is the pioneer for IMAX in India still charges Rs.250/ticket and we Hydeez feel that's a lot

Regular multiplex tickets across all multiplex screens in Hyderabad is priced a standard Rs.150/ticket 7 days a week while single screen theatres are priced Rs.50 & Rs.60 per ticket

I am given to understand Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi price differently on weekend and weekday. Delhi has normal multiplex theatre ticket priced at Rs.500 which is no less than daylight robbery
My parents, wife and I like to indulge in Gold Class PVR for a good English film.
So we went recently and watched movies like Madagascar 3, Bourne Legacy and Skyfall etc at a price of Rs 750/- each on a Sunday.
Add up the fiddlies like Pepsi, Popcorn, lunch or brunch outside etc and we are talking around 5000 to 6000/- for an outing depending on where one eats! Ok, so Rs 1500/- per head is still not really too bad, considering the quality of experience. Obviously we do not do it often, which is why it feels even more worth it.
If one were to do it every week, for example, the mind boggles at the extreme expenses that families with children have to undergo, when it comes to Shopper-tainment!
From my experience, watching a movie at the Odeon Cinema or other similar one, in London or Melbourne or Sydney or indeed anywhere abroad, costs about 15 or 20 GBP / 25 to 40 AUD per head and frankly the seats are smaller, the legroom is less and it is in no way comparable to our own PVR Gold Class, which really is first class!
Old 6th December 2012, 22:04   #4964
Distinguished - BHPian

Hotel Translyvania

Awesome. Simply awesome. Haven't laughed this much since the Madagascar (series). Must watch.

Rating: 5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Finally watched Source Code.
Kinda interesting movie.
Err. You purposely not giving out the story to avoid the twist factor? If not, then you didn't get the full picture I must say.
Old 6th December 2012, 22:29   #4965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Err. You purposely not giving out the story to avoid the twist factor? If not, then you didn't get the full picture I must say.
Ah yes - didn't want to give anything away. Amazing movie!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks