Team-BHP - The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55910-english-movies-thread-no-spoilers-please-328.html)

Heavy Metall FAKK2 - The movie.

Animated.
Future.
Sci-fi.
About end of the world, world domination, search for the source of such power by an evil one, and how he is stopped.
Brilliant animation, and a bit of nudity in the movie too.

But, why you HSOULD watch it is for the OST.
Comparable to the ones form godzilla and the matrix, it features:
Monster magnet, Pantera, machine head, SOAD, Billy idol, bauhaus, queens of the stone age, MDFMK.....
and voices of billy idol and michael ironside.

This is really some heavy stuff.

4/5

Skyfall
Worst bond movie ever.
Watched it on friday itself with huge expectations and returned with only disapointments.
first half is so slow that my friend commented- dude have we come for a Sanjay leela bhansali movie by mistake.

Bond movies are famous for its gadgets, swanky cars, great action, fast pace. This has none of it. I don't see Craig returning as a bond. Skip it if you haven't seen it yet.

Rating- 2/5

Flight - Fallen story of a fall guy who saves a plane falling from the sky and along with it, his life. Or does he?
The film starts with a bang, meanders along for couple of hours to finish in a little bit of a fizz out, leaving en route some loose end and unanswered questions.
If you can shrug off the weaknesses, makes for a nice Sunday evening watch.
3/5.

The Man with the Iron fists - John Woo meets Kung Fu, with liberal dosage of hong kong brand martial arts, spiced with bada$$ boys from the west and obvious ode to classics like Enter the Dragon.
Do not miss this fun filled wacky adventure, it's not often that Quentin Tarantino lends his name to title credits. This film WILL polarize opinions and has a lot of blood and gore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 2953321)
Flight - Fallen story of a fall guy who saves a plane falling from the sky and along with it, his life. Or does he?
The film starts with a bang, meanders along for couple of hours to finish in a little bit of a fizz out, leaving en route some loose end and unanswered questions.
If you can shrug off the weaknesses, makes for a nice Sunday evening watch.
3/5.

I kinda agree to your review:thumbs up but feel the rating is a lot for this movie:eek:. We walked out in 1.5 hrs flat and well it was a friday night so too boring for it.

1.5/5 for me here

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddy42 (Post 2953465)
I kinda agree to your review:thumbs up but feel the rating is a lot for this movie:eek:. We walked out in 1.5 hrs flat and well it was a friday night so too boring for it.

1.5/5 for me here

It was the 1.5 hourish point when the film reaches it's nadir, so no fault from your end - I was spending a Sunday late afternoon!

Skyfall : agree with Harry there ^^.

I don't even see the point of it being called a bond movie. It has none of those things which makes the Bond series special, not even some exciting action stuff worth mentioning.

Skip it if you havent seen it.

Why so serious about Skyfall?
It kinda reminded me of Batman begins.
Utterly boring standalone, but trail it with the other two, it makes sense.

I think skyfall is also sort of a buildup to bigger things.
Ralph fiennes wouldnt have come on board to play XXXX for 2 minutes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 2953782)
Why so serious about Skyfall?
It kinda reminded me of Batman begins.
Utterly boring standalone, but trail it with the other two, it makes sense.

Ralph fiennes wouldnt have come on board to play XXXX for 2 minutes.

Thanks for the spoiler :mad: Planning to catch up with is this week.

Argo & Looper were noteworthy. Taken 2 was popcorn entertainment, more like a hindi movie. Though Liam has the X factor in every role he plays. Even in his voiceovers (Aslan), he's imposing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 2953782)

Precisely what I think. Though I've seen all the movies, and I really didn't get bored like this. A few of them did build up for the next films, but then they still had the trademark Bond cheeky dialogues, entertaining sequences and girls and gadgets. This was a bit disappointing, seems like they are trying to change what Bond movies are all about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilkalvani (Post 2953976)
Thanks for the spoiler :mad: Planning to catch up with is this week.

Argo & Looper were noteworthy. Taken 2 was popcorn entertainment, more like a hindi movie. Though Liam has the X factor in every role he plays. Even in his voiceovers (Aslan), he's imposing.

What spoiler????
Lemme know, ill report the post for deletion.
Sorry.....:(

Youre right about Neeson, though. Ra's al gul was badass in batman begins, more so than the others.

I actually liked the Skyfall :)

Maybe I went to watch the movie without much expectations. Low on gadgets, but overall it was a bit different from the regular bond movie experience (probably the Sam Mendes effect).

Looking forward to the next installment.

Edit: I expected the end rolling titles to say 'A TATA - JLR Presentation' :)

Managed to catch SkyFall yesterday.
I loved it (until they destroyed an Aston Martin DB5 :( )
Yes it is clearly different from the trademark Bond style but i think it's for the good.
I watched it with my parents. Luckily, there weren't a lot of adulterous scenes. So it's actually cleaner than past Bonds.
other than the violence of course :P

The DB5 wasn't destroyed, bro. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
The DB5 wasn't destroyed, bro. :)

At least onscreen it was

Note to the spoiler-averse - please stop reading this post NOW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2954075)
Low on gadgets, but overall it was a bit different from the regular bond movie experience (probably the Sam Mendes effect.

I think the 'low on gadgets' thing is for the better, and it's not the Sam Mendes effect but a reflection of the times I guess. The average audience doesn't really get excited on seeing 'that funky gadget' anymore. Your smartphone can do so much more than the Bond gadgets of the past :). Plus aren't we beyond the Soviet/conspiracy era already? Things are different now - you have hackers sitting at home causing much more damage than Le Chiffre or Dr. No ever did. And the thing is that the audience is aware of this.

Like Q (who himself is a representation of times as they are today) says, "We don't do pen-guns anymore" or something to that effect.

I like Skyfall and what it means for Bond movies coming in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agambhandari (Post 2954156)
I watched it with my parents. Luckily, there weren't a lot of adulterous scenes. So it's actually cleaner than past Bonds.
other than the violence of course

Except that the first exchange between Silva and Bond really takes Bond to a different orientation. I too took my father along and he must have been surprised how Bond has changed! He's officially bi now. Another sign of the times.