Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2011, 09:55   #3556
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Jake Gyllenhall and Michelle Monaghan put up some good acting in 'Source Code' - and save some lives and a train in that process. 4/5 in my book. Worth a watch.
Old 10th April 2011, 12:58   #3557
Senior - BHPian

A few movies I saw recently :

Heat :

Al Pacino+Robert de Niro = Some nice entertainment!
Some great action, which is not overdone and keeps you hooked till the end!

My rating : 4.5/5.

Killers :

Supposed to be a comedy, but isnt very. Is lighthearted though. Would rate it as timepass entertainment. Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl are both okay.

Rating : 2/5.

Life as we Know it :

Again stars Katherine Heigl. Its about a guy and a girl who dont get along very well after attempting to date, who are forced to take care of their mutual friends' baby girl. Again, nothing very outstanding.

Rating : 2.5/5

Napoleon Dynamite :

Napoleon Dynamite is a teenager from a small town in Idaho, who is quite a loner and spends most of his school life being bullied around. His life changes once he gets a couple of friends, a nerdy girl and a Mexican immigrant.
I loved it!!
Rating : 4/5.

Last edited by sajo : 10th April 2011 at 13:00. Reason: Formatting
Old 11th April 2011, 00:05   #3558
Senior - BHPian

Turner and Hooch

Another very simple movie for dog lovers and crime story lovers. About a very ferocious bulldog whose owner is murdered and he is the only witness to this. Funny in many places. Would rank it 7/10.

Sophie Scholl; The final days

About a brother and sister and their group who fight against the NAZI idealism and finally give their lives for that cause, makes for a very compelling view.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 11th April 2011 at 00:08.
Old 11th April 2011, 02:06   #3559
Senior - BHPian

Source code: Nice movie and is a one time watch as the second time you know whats happening.

Rate: 3.5/5

Can someone please explain the ending.
Old 12th April 2011, 15:36   #3560
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched a few movies last week :-

"Expendables" starring Sly Stallone and Jason Statham

Sly and his team are a bunch of ex-mercenaries who charge a bomb for military type of missions. This mission as usual is a ploy from the US government to address their own hidden agenda.

Great acting by Sly and first time saw him with some witty lines and a human touch. JS was equally good along with rest of the team make up this a good action movie.

Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts were very good. And, the brazilian actress was sizzling

3.5/5

"The Yard" starring Mark Wahlberg and Jaoquin Phoenix

Story of shady dealings and contracts of NY subway engineering contracts. Its quite educating in a way how such companies function and story is full of twists and turns and bit suspense filled with little or no violence.

Great acting by MW and JP and not to mention the alluring beauty of Charlize Theron. Her eyes were smoking throughout the movie and does most of her speaking through it. A real beauty.

4/5

"The Great Raid" starring Benjamin Bratt, James Franco

True story of an american battalion rescuing 500 american POW's in japan occupied Phillipines during WWII. A little slow at times but, an engrossing movie for sure.

Rescue mission didnt seem too exciting neither the picturization made it look tough and dangerous and was not so well executed compared to other war related movies.

But, the fact remains this is the only and possibly the largest rescue mission that was successfully executed in American history.

3.5/5

P.S: Next in line is "The Tourist" starring Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie
Old 12th April 2011, 15:49   #3561
Senior - BHPian

Friends dragged me to watch "JUST GO WITH IT" by Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anisten. Nothing much to write about it, decent one time watch. Rating 2/5.
Old 12th April 2011, 23:06   #3562
BHPian

Just by chance happened to see "Two Brothers" on HBO.

Its a movie about two Tiger cubs which grow up apart to be finally pitched in front of eachother to fight till death.
A very good movie not only for children but even for elders. Must watch for wildlife enthusiast.

Worth Watching!!!
Old 12th April 2011, 23:43   #3563
Senior - BHPian

Here are some of the latest stuff I've watched.

Band of Brothers in Blu-ray. Simply amazing. I have it on DVD and the blu-ray just blew me. I loved watching it on my 32" LCD itself with the lights off and an awesome set of headphones - Sennheiser. Simply amazing.

Thin Red Line in Blu-ray. One of the best colour reproductions I have EVER seen. The scenes where their batallion sees some of their dead comrades in the sugar-cane farm is one of the best. Also, a lovely movie. Though it is a war movie, it is actually anti-war. Action lovers will not like it much though. A little slow but beautiful picturisation and that inspires me to watch it again - tonight!

Unstoppable in Blu-ray. I was very surprised - loved the movie. Though I like Denzel Washington's acting, I started off watching it without any expectations at all. Pleasantly surprised though and the movie was taught with tension.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:45   #3564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched a few movies last week :-

"Expendables" starring Sly Stallone and Jason Statham

Sly and his team are a bunch of ex-mercenaries who charge a bomb for military type of missions. This mission as usual is a ploy from the US government to address their own hidden agenda.

Great acting by Sly and first time saw him with some witty lines and a human touch. JS was equally good along with rest of the team make up this a good action movie.

Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts were very good. And, the brazilian actress was sizzling

3.5/5

P.S: Next in line is "The Tourist" starring Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie
Agree on Expendables. Sly seems to be smitten with blood and gore. The action sequences are laced with good amount of bodies being broken and limbs severed. Remember Rambo (last one)! Jet Li seemed to be wasted in his part.

I started watching 'The Tourist' last week, but (spoiler alert) painfully slow, left it halfway for a later time.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:59   #3565
BHPian

Hi
Watched SUCKER PUNCH over the weekend. Its directed by the same director as 300. Guys i was glued to the screen from the first scene. Give it a shot. My rating would be 4/5. Cheers
Old 13th April 2011, 12:37   #3566
BHPian

Green Hornet
2.5/5

Seth Rogen as a superhero?!! But reading the closing credits - that was expected. Movie is with a twist, his sidekick, Kato, is the brains behind their endeavor to fight crime. Movie has it's moments in terms of their ride modelled on the BatMobile and some good action sequences. Cameron Diaz has a cameo role.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:56   #3567
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Green Hornet
2.5/5

Seth Rogen as a superhero?!! But reading the closing credits - that was expected. Movie is with a twist, his sidekick, Kato, is the brains behind their endeavor to fight crime. Movie has it's moments in terms of their ride modelled on the BatMobile and some good action sequences. Cameron Diaz has a cameo role.
Even in the eariler Green Hornet, which was a TV serial in the 60s, the sidekick Kato outshined the hero totally. Nobody even remembers who played the hero, but everybody knows who played Kato. Kato was of course, Bruce Lee. It was the first time American public saw Kung Fu.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:23   #3568
Senior - BHPian

Last night I saw this movie Flash of Genius. Good movie on how Ford Infringed on intermittent windshield wiper patent held by a small inventor and how the inventor fought a legal battle against ford for 12 years and succeded in defeating the auto gaint.

4/5
Old 15th April 2011, 13:27   #3569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Last night I saw this movie Flash of Genius. Good movie on how Ford Infringed on intermittent windshield wiper patent held by a small inventor and how the inventor fought a legal battle against ford for 12 years and succeded in defeating the auto gaint.

4/5
oh yeah,this was a gooood watch!
specially when they go for the first demonstration!
Old 16th April 2011, 05:29   #3570
Senior - BHPian

Watched a couple of movies in Last month

Law Abiding Citizen

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-law_abiding_citizen_4.jpg

The Story is about Clyde Sheton (Gerard Butler) who's wife & kid are brutally murdered during a home invasion. His Lawyer (Jamie Foxx), who wants to keep his record of winning all of his cases, offers one of the suspects a light sentence in exchange for testifying against his accomplice.

After 10 years Clyde returns to lawyers life when he starts killing all the people involved in the case. He gets arrested yet the killings continue. What happens next is a serious of twists & turns which keep you at the edge of your seat.

The movie can have people reacting negatively to the methods adopted by the protagonist to show his anger over the system. The movie overall has been shot very well & keeps you hooked.

Rating: 4/5
Murder By Numbers

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-murderbynumbers.jpg

The movie is about two young men who plan a murder in an extremely planned way. They plan the details which will misguide the police & not get caught. All this because they feel they have the intelligence to do so.

The Murder case is handled by Cassie Mayweather (Sandra Bullock). She is an expert on such homicides & has strong belief that the evidences that they are founding are misleading in nature. Unfortunately her colleagues feel that she is getting involved at a personal level in this case which is a simple case for them.

The movie starts slowly & is somewhat confusing at the beginning but then becomes very interesting as the story unfolds. Great performance by all the cast

Rating: 3.5/5
Eye for an Eye

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-eye-eye.jpg

Karen McCann's (Sally Field) daughter gets raped & murdered in their home by a stranger. The court fails to provide justice due to insufficient evidence. Karen initially goes into depression & joins a therapy group but later on decides to take matters in her hand.
She follows the murderer & informs police that he is going to repeat what he had done with his daughter. The police ignores her. The Murderer strikes again & yet again is let off in absence of evidence.

The remaining story is about how she decides to take her revenge by staying within the law.

This is a typical revenge movie & Some of the scenes in the movie are shot loosely as in it makes you wonder what time does she goes to office, therapy class & her other trainings. Ed Harris is completely wasted in this movie.

Rating 2.5/5
Legendary

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-legendary2010.jpg

The movie is about a teen boy Cal Chetley (Devon Graye) who wants to join the wrestling team. His mother is not much in favor as she had lost her Husband to Wrestling & also her elder Son Mike (WWE star John Cena) who also was a wrestling champion left the house because of his father's death.

The movie is about a younger brother reaching out to his elder brother so that he can train him to be a good wrestler like his brother & his father.

The movie has its moments as the son-mother relationship has been portrayed very nicely. Also the characters of his father's coach & his girlfriend has been nicely woven in the story.

Overall a nice movie to watch but don't expect anything great.

Rating 3/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks