Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:00   #3511
Team-BHP Support

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Akira Kurasawa inspired lots of Hollywood movies.

Some Star Wars characters were inspired from Hidden Fortress, specifically R2D2 and C3PO.

The Last Man Standing and A Fistful of Dollars were based on Yojimbo.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:14   #3512
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I think "The King's Speech" deserves mention. Superb film. Very sensitive protrayal. Both Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were first class.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:18   #3513
BANNED

Talking of Starwars, I saw it first in Eros Cinema (Churchgate) when I was a kid, back when it was first released in India. I don't remember much at all - I think I got scared of a few funny looking characters & kept my eyes shut half the time. Never saw any of the Star Wars movies after that till recently. Recently saw Star Wars 4 (New Hope) & then Star Wars 5 (Empire strikes back). Was very disappointed with both of them. Yeah, may be the special effects were really good for that time, but there was nothing else to the movies other than the Sfx.

I could barely finish watching New Hope. Empire Strikes back was a little better, but not much. Didn't help that I don't like Harrison Ford much.

Another Harrison Ford movie which was very disappointing for me was "Indiana Jones and Raiders of Lost Ark" - yeah, I understand Speilberg set out to make a B-Grade Masala movie, but even then it was far too long. If they had ended the movie at the time of the truck chase, it may have been a decent Masala movie, but movie never seemed to end.

Last edited by carboy : 22nd March 2011 at 13:20.
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:14   #3514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Another Harrison Ford movie which was very disappointing for me was "Indiana Jones and Raiders of Lost Ark" - yeah, I understand Speilberg set out to make a B-Grade Masala movie, but even then it was far too long. If they had ended the movie at the time of the truck chase, it may have been a decent Masala movie, but movie never seemed to end.
I liked Harrison Ford in that movie and I remember watching it as a kid in a theatre with 10-15 cousins free of cost thanks to mom who was sales tax officer managing all theatres in hyderabad at that time. We used to get royal treatment with snacks and soft drinks served during the intermission. I liked this movie for its overall experience but the Indiana Jones series indeed were long reeled movies.

I like Harrison Ford and admire him for his good looks and probably because that I feel he has the best voice in entire Hollywood closely followed by Michael Douglas. Dont know why but, i am a sucker for baritone voices.

Some of HF work that I liked were the Jack Ryan series ( Clear and Present Danger and Patriot Games. Also, he was good in What Lies Beneath, Fugitive and 6 Days and Seven nights.

In his career he acted in some memorable movies for sure !!!
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:08   #3515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I could barely finish watching New Hope. Empire Strikes back was a little better, but not much. Didn't help that I don't like Harrison Ford much.
New Hope was the highest grossing movie in the world ever at that time. Empire Strikes Back is one of the highest grossing movie of all time. I like all the earlier Star wars movie, the new series didn't have as much soul as the old ones.

Quote:
Another Harrison Ford movie which was very disappointing for me was "Indiana Jones and Raiders of Lost Ark" - yeah, I understand Speilberg set out to make a B-Grade Masala movie, but even then it was far too long.
Gulp! This is one of my most favourite movie. It is also one of the highest grossing movie of all time. Me and dozen other classmates watched this in 1984 after the completing last of the 10th standard final exams. Wow, what a way to relax after the board exams.

Obviously, you have a very different taste in movies than most of us. I think we had discussed that a while ago in the same thread.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:05   #3516
BHPian

Watched 2 Hollywood flicks last weekend -

How Do You Know
- A Romcom atsrring Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson and Jack Nicholson. Verdict - One time watch only!Rating - 2/5

Morning Glory
- Romantic comedy-drama set in the hilarious and dysfunctional world of morning television. The film which stars Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford & Diane Keaton.

Found the film funny and entertaining. Both HF and DK are seasoned actors, and deliver good performances. Rachel McAdams is very good as the protagonist; bears resemblance to Hillary Swank.

Rating - 3.5/5
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:00   #3517
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
In his career he acted in some memorable movies for sure !!!
I have watched only 5 of his movies.
Working Girl - 3.5/5
Star Wars 4 & 5 - 2.5/5
Clear and Present Danger 2/5
Raiders of the Lost Ark 1.5/5

May be I should see some more of his movies.

About Indian Jones, Spielberg himself says he set out to make a B-Grade 'pulp' movie. I disliked the girlfriend's character even more than Indiana's character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
New Hope was the highest grossing movie in the world ever at that time. Empire Strikes Back is one of the highest grossing movie of all time.

Yeah, I know. The SFX was probably spectacular for that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Obviously, you have a very different taste in movies than most of us. I think we had discussed that a while ago in the same thread.
Hey, not true - me and the mobikeguy have a lot of favourite movies in common. Quite obviously, not 100%, but I find his taste very like mine in some genres. I always try to watch any movie he has recommended.

Another possible reason for me not liking these iconic movies (Indiana, Star Wars) may be because you guys saw when it was released - I saw it in the last couple of years.
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:27   #3518
BHPian

Harrison Ford is one of my favourite actors too, alongwith Clint Eastwood. Ofcourse, he doesn't have a lot of range in his acting but he did some memorable roles. Han Solo, Jack Ryan, Indiana Jones, Dr. Richard Kimble, Rick Deckard etc.
My favourite movies of his :
1. Blade runner ( although the movie was great regardless of his presence )
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. The Fugitive
5. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
6. Star Wars: A New Hope
7. What Lies Beneath
8. Air Force One

I'm a fan of both the original star wars trilogy and the Indiana Jones Trilogy, with "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" being my favourites. Star Wars was not famous just for the SFX. It created an entire new mythology with many sub stories and histories. The ending of "Empire Strikes Back" is considered one of the best cliffhangers in the history of movies( ofcourse it was the only movie not directed by George Lucas and is considered the best movie of the whole series ).
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:54   #3519
Distinguished - BHPian

consider "devil's own", and "the hunt for red october".
He made a much much better Ryan than new stock(affleck, was it?).
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:27   #3520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
consider "devil's own", and "the hunt for red october".
The Hunt for Red October did not have Harrison Ford. It was Sean Connery. Harrison Ford starred in K-19 The Widowmaker.

Btw, I liked both the movies

EDIT: Now I get it, you were referring to the Jack Ryan series. IMO, Alec Baldwin did a good job too

Last edited by addyhemmige : 23rd March 2011 at 12:38.
Old 23rd March 2011, 13:06   #3521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The Hunt for Red October did not have Harrison Ford. It was Sean Connery. Harrison Ford starred in K-19 The Widowmaker.

Btw, I liked both the movies

EDIT: Now I get it, you were referring to the Jack Ryan series. IMO, Alec Baldwin did a good job too

Yeah, but with sean connery in the movie, Ryan gets overshadowed, no matter who plays him.
which is quite a departure for someone who watches the movie post reading the book.

CPD had harrison ford, no?
much much better.
Old 23rd March 2011, 13:50   #3522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have watched only 5 of his movies.
Working Girl - 3.5/5
Star Wars 4 & 5 - 2.5/5
Clear and Present Danger 2/5
Raiders of the Lost Ark 1.5/5
Fugitive
6 days and Seven Nights
Air Force One
Patriot Games
What Lies Beneath
Devil's Own (Though its more of Brad Pitt movie)
Then you havent watched much of HF. I added some movies to above list. Check them out. He did a good job in them.

Quote:
Hey, not true - me and the mobikeguy have a lot of favourite movies in common
Who is this mobikeguy..eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
+1. He made a really good Jack Ryan. I found him close to Tom Clancy's character.
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:37   #3523
Team-BHP Support

We are going back to same old discussions: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1741127
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:45   #3524
Distinguished - BHPian

Hows the movie " Faster" starring Rock? Its lined up next. Hope its a worthwhile action movie to check out?
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:16   #3525

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hows the movie " Faster" starring Rock? Its lined up next. Hope its a worthwhile action movie to check out?
I watched the movie, it is a fast paced movie but not much story in it. Watch it if you are sucker for action movies and if you are going to watch, watch without much expectations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks