Team-BHP - The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55910-english-movies-thread-no-spoilers-please-193.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2105630)
The next character i would love to see ONSCREEN :

There's this guy similar to JR series of Tom Clancy from another famous novelist. He is 6ft.4 inch muscular and is an amazing fighter at close range combat and is freshly off the army or is part of Army Police or something like that. He loves to handle a case all alone and is typical lone ranger.

I am unable to recall the name of this character nor the author. Can somone help?

This might help you out
Category:Fictional police detectives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2105630)
Out of the lot, i think HF came close to what the author described about him.

While lot of people agree with you, Tom Clancy doesn't. He hated the idea of Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan, he felt Baldwin should have continued as Jack Ryan. He wanted a younger person to play Jack Ryan, instead of aging Harrison Ford.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVH (Post 2105636)
The only one I can think of right now is Absolute Power starring Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman. Like you, I found the novel better than the movie inspite of the starcast.

I heard of the movie but, havent seen it yet. Will check it out soon.

Its sad to note such a fine author with powerful thrillers and not converted to movies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2105643)

Thanks. Long list, will check it out. At first glance they look like police detectives list. I think this guy was part of Army.

Let me figure out this fella. Will report back when the tubelight comes on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2105658)
While lot of people agree with you, Tom Clancy doesn't. He hated the idea of Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan, he felt Baldwin should have continued as Jack Ryan. He wanted a younger person to play Jack Ryan, instead of aging Harrison Ford.

Surprising to know that trivia. Perhaps thats the reason they casted Ben Affleck in this role. If you have seen this movie, he looked totally out of place and not the learned Phd with authority that JR is potrayed in books.

The best movie i have seen in the recent past (mind you i almost watch one movie a day) goes to HANGOVER.
The most crazy, funny, entertaining, stress relieving... movie of the present time.
Sure catch it, will be truly enjoyed.

I loved The Hangover too. It's a great comedy.
But my favourite comedy movie in recent years is "SuperBad". This is the movie that launched the careers of Michael Cera, Jonah Hill and Christopher Minz Plasse. It's a laugh riot from the beginning to the end and it's not just a dumb teen comedy ( although it looks like that in the beginning ). Ofcourse, everyone might not like it due to the excessive swearing in almost every sentence Jonah Hill speaks. Mclovin is one of the funniest characters in recent times.

get him to the greek - funny in parts, but somehow things do not end smoothly (atleast for me).
2.5/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 2106056)
get him to the greek - funny in parts, but somehow things do not end smoothly (atleast for me).
2.5/5

i did not even watch it till the end..bloody waste of time...

Watched Hunt to Kill
Pretty old story, below average cast and expected scenes -- watch only if you want to kill time.
2/5
Guys Watch IP Man (part 1 and 2) - Its a Chinese martial arts guru movie. Extraordinary stunt (not running over roof tops OK...). Hero is awesome in martial arts..
4/5
Exit Speed -
A bus bound to El Paso got attacked by nomads simply and one of them get killed accidentally as the bus over runs him. Fellow nomads take revenge and push to bus to off-course to dumped store site killing one by one.
Bus passengers gather themselves with available tools to fight out.
One timer...
2.5/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newpunter (Post 2105879)
But my favourite comedy movie in recent years is "SuperBad". This is the movie that launched the careers of Michael Cera, Jonah Hill and Christopher Minz Plasse. It's a laugh riot from the beginning to the end and it's not just a dumb teen comedy ( although it looks like that in the beginning ).

I agree with you a 110%. Superbad is a really funny film. There's nothing wrong with swearing in a movie if a situation demands it. What's humour without irreverence! This movie gets a perfect 5/5 from me. I've already watched it a dozen times.

Just finished watching 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas'.

I must say, this is one of those movies that will haunt you like forever :|. I really loved the performance of the kids in this film. They're really awesome :)

A must watch movie.

My Rating : 4.5/5

I'll be watching 'The Pianist' this evening.

Amith

Quote:

Originally Posted by saildrive (Post 2104515)
UNTHINKABLE.....Thriller (4/5) edge of seat (Samuel Jackson, Carrie Anne Moss)

This one is Love Me or Hate Me types of movie; some may like it, some may not. Its a different character played by Samuel Jackson (He is one of my fav actor )
The absolute best part is the climax when the things get really HOT, and the last shot which is left unanswered. Watch it to feel it.!!

Today we watched "The American".

we are still wondering why the movie was made in the first place? Setting is beautiful.

Just watched Taken

It's about a former US Spy who uses his old skills to tackle some goons who have kidnapped his daughter for flesh trade. The script and the dialogues were really good. It is a very quick paced movie, highly recommended :)

Rating : 3.5/5

RED (2010)

Its an action-comedy, loved it a lot. Great star cast, Good action sometimes funny, punchy dialogs keep us entertained throughout the movie. Its kinda funny to see a 60+ year old lady handle guns. :)

To be honest, the first 8-9 mins were slow, boring. But then it picks up the pace and its winner all the way. Obviously it won't make history or gather awards, but its still good in its own way.

Must watch

4.5/5

Watched " Dressed to Kill" starring Michael Caine.

Its a 1980 movie about a phychotherapist (MC) who's lady patients get killed by a razor stolen from his office.

Starts off on a slow note and slowly picks up the momento. The aura and feel of the movie is 80's and has a slight B-grade feel to it. I wonder what was MC doing in a movie like this one.

Decent timepass flick and if you miss it, it wont hurt the skin of your nose.

3/5

P.S: Next in line is " Unforgiven". Any reviews?