Team-BHP - The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55910-english-movies-thread-no-spoilers-please-180.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzsys (Post 2056639)
Shoot them up:Hilarious, ROFLing Movie based on action and gimmicks.

Found this to be silly, stupid & ridiculous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2057186)

Watched for Bellucci and Giamatti. Otherwise, the theme is nonsense.

Last Sunday, watched The book of Eli, a nicely taken movie. I was able to identify only one post-apocalyptic car in that moview, a GMC SUV. :-)

Watched 'Robin Hood' last night.
I though the movie could have been a little shorter - I lost some interest in the middle.
3/5 from my end.

Quote:

Even worst of Rajni's films are not this dumb. :uncontrol

After i read in the TOI that they've made a Hindi version of Step Mom with Kajol and others, I watched the Hollywood version with my family at home yesterday.

Great action by Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandron, and also by the small kid named 'Ben' in the movie.

On a different note, I am happy that my daughter is tilting towards Hollywood movies in place of the blatant copies from Bollywood---looks like the genes of her dad and grandpa are now showing up :)

I also pitched in and explained how natural the histrionics were in the movie when they come to know the mom was going to die of cancer---there were no loud proclamations like 'nahin---tu mujhko chodke nahi jaa sakte ho', accompanied by sickening background music to alert rickshaw-puller crowds that a tragedy is in the offing (no offence to Bollywood lovers).

I'd rate it as 4 out of 5.

Any world war movie buffs in here? Catch the Letters from Iwo Jima on DVD. The film is entirely in the Japanese language by an all Japanese star cast, still my Dad & I loved it. It's incredibly intense and will play with your emotions. The film portrays what soldiers go through at the ground level.

Rating : 4.5 / 5

Recently I've been watching quite a few Korean movies, I recommend to all:

1. Memories of Murder(Salinui chueok).
2. The Brotherhood of War(Tae Guk Gi).

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2059182)
Any world war movie buffs in here? Catch the Letters from Iwo Jima on DVD. The film is entirely in the Japanese language by an all Japanese star cast, still my Dad & I loved it. It's incredibly intense and will play with your emotions. The film portrays what soldiers go through at the ground level.

Rating : 4.5 / 5

If you have seen Letters from Iwo Jima, you must see Flags of our fathers. Its the same war from Allied POV. Both are awesome!

Watched "Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind" last night and boy what a movie. Just love Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey's acting. Fantastic movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2059182)
Any world war movie buffs in here?

You have company here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 2059215)
If you have seen Letters from Iwo Jima, you must see Flags of our fathers. Its the same war from Allied POV. Both are awesome!

+1 on that.

Both were directed by Clint Eastwood. Letters from Iwo Jima (Dec 2006) is the movie of ww2 from the Japanese point of view, where are Flags of our fathers(oct 2006) is from the American point of view.

Robin Hood

Had so much expectation from the movie. Somehow i was left leaving wanted for more.

No doubt the direction, cinematography, details, cast performance is very good and so is script but somehow it didn't move my emotions. While the action is good it felt like been-there-done-that. And I can't imagine having boats like WW2. While action grips, the action director must have ran out of ideas.

I am excited about the sequel if and when it comes. This one was a solid foundation and i hope Ridley Scott comes out with a worthy sequel

3/5

Watched Antichrist (Dir: Lars Von Grier) last night after many recommendations. Though it's a good movie I didn't find it worth the hype. I feel that the climax is inspired by Audition (Dir: Takashi Miike). Though both are very different movies I must admit that I watched Antichrist only for the shock factor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 2053356)
I've seen this on the telly long back and its an awesome movie.

Must watch.

Misery (1990)

Watched this movie and as you mentioned, it was fantastic. Violence in the most subtle way.

Kathy Bates seemed like a very recognizable face. Anyone knows which other movies she starred apart from this one?

Worth a watch for sure and i loved the snow capped surroundings

3.5/5

P.S: Next in line is " Four Weddings and a Funeral" starring Hugh Grant and Andie McDowell. Reviews please?

Twelve (2010)

Its a movie on drugs and teens. The story is quite common but is still worth a watch which shows how the drugs can destroy human life.

BTW, Twelve is the name of the drug.

Watch if you have anything else to do

2.5/5

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vamsi.kona (Post 2057532)
Even worst of Rajni's films are not this dumb. :uncontrol

I think you guys are missing the point of the movie. This is supposed to be a spoof of all the cliches used in shoot em up movies, hence the name. The movie isn't supposed to be taken seriously at all. I thought that was obvious from the movie itself, that is why everything is over the top. Just stop taking it seriously and you will enjoy it a lot. It's a very funny movie and the one liners are awesome.

Example : Clive Owen : " Do you know the difference between a luxury car and a porcupine?"
Monica : "Beats me "
Clive Owen: "With the car, the pricks are on the inside" lol: .

Another one: "Do you know why a gun is better than a wife?"
Answer : "You can put a silencer on a gun" :D.

I think you guys should watch the movie again with a fresh perspective and believe me, you will enjoy it a lot.