Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 20:08   #556
BHPian

Re: Snakes!

During a recent visit to our farm house we spotted two shedded skins of the snakes. They were quite large in size. The moulting of the skin occurs regularly when old skin is outgrown and the snakes rub themselves against the rough surface to shed this skin.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took few months back.

Snakes!-photo-1.jpg

Snakes!-photo-2.jpg

Snakes!-photo-3.jpg

Snakes!-photo-4.jpg

Snakes!-photo-5.jpg
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 14:56   #557
BHPian

Me and my wife were out for a walk at night after dinner when we spotted a small snake about 14-15 inches. It was really dark and I just felt there is something moving in front of us trying to cross the small passage near the park. Usually we find big cockroaches and other insects. Finding a snake was really shocking. While my wife was really scared (not surprising, she gets scared of a cockroach or a rat too!), I realised that the little thing was probably running from us. It looked in a hurry to reach a small hole near the corner of the park and immediately disappeared. I think it must be a baby snake who would have come out to explore the world at night.
Old 18th May 2014, 10:56   #558
Team-BHP Support

Imagine walking towards your car, and a 8 foot long snake crawls from under the driver side door when you are 4 foot away. It is very rare I jump out of my skin for a snake, but this time I did. This is the spot where I park my car 3 times a day. I followed the snake just to ensure it was a harmless rat snake.

Snakes!-wp_20140518_003.jpg

Snakes!-wp_20140518_002.jpg
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 17:39   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Imagine walking towards your car, and a 8 foot long snake crawls from under the driver side door when you are 4 foot away. It is very rare I jump out of my skin for a snake, but this time I did. This is the spot where I park my car 3 times a day. I followed the snake just to ensure it was a harmless rat snake.

Attachment 1241661

Attachment 1241662
Such a big drain pipe? Hope it's meshed on the inside!
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 16:37   #560
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday it was my chance to spot an 8-footer rat-snake.

Was driving to Changanachery yesterday when I spotted this big snake crossing the road. Park the Swift and get close to take a couple snaps. Was really a big one compared to the rat-snakes we usually see.

Snakes!-20140706_130406.jpg

BTW, see the color difference between the one Samurai posted and this one. The Kerala rat snakes are yellow-black, while the ones in KA are black/white.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 15:53   #561
Team-BHP Support

Found a video that is kind of appropriate here:

What happens when venom meets blood:
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 16:07   #562
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Such a big drain pipe? Hope it's meshed on the inside!
Yes, it is a 4 inch storm drain pipe, we need it for the rains here. No, it is not meshed. The snakes can also enter via from gate if they want to, this is at my in-laws home. At my home, there is lots of wild vegetation during monsoon. I am sure there are quite a few snakes around. I just keep the area I use clean from grass and plants, that alone discourages snakes most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What happens when venom meets blood
That's what russel's viper venom can do. That is one snake I don't want to encounter, ever.
Old 25th July 2014, 16:20   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
BTW, see the color difference between the one Samurai posted and this one. The Kerala rat snakes are yellow-black, while the ones in KA are black/white.
I believe I might be wrong with that underlined statement, because I remember also seeing the black-white rat-snakes in Kerala. So there are normal chera (rat-snake) and manja (yellow) chera in Kerala. Don't know if there are any other types too - snake-experts can pitch in.
Old 25th July 2014, 16:50   #564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What happens when venom meets blood
And this venom is milked from the snake to prepare the antivenom! Oh the irony.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 00:30   #565
Senior - BHPian

Was out for a late-evening walk in the community I stay at Chennai, when I see 2 security guards hunched over a snake with a stick. They had already smashed its head, but the rest of the body was still twitching.

It was about 2 feet long and really thin and since lighting was poor (11:30PM), I wasn't sure if the snake was what I thought it was - a krait. Anyway, I take a snap with the flash on and looks like I was correct with the paired white bands all along the body.
Snakes!-20140826_232042.jpg

And to think that so many kids play in the roads, parks etc of the community.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 09:33   #566
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, a banded Krait. It looks so similar banded Kukri. Since the thin bands are white, I suppose it is a Krait. One is venomous and the other is not. Only experts can really tell.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:57   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I wasn't sure if the snake was what I thought it was - a krait. Anyway, I take a snap with the flash on and looks like I was correct with the paired white bands all along the body.
Quite correct. It's the banded Krait. Highly venomous. Bite from a Krait can kill a man within 4-8 hours if not treated.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:21   #568
BHPian

Indeed that looks like a banded krait.I remember living in an air force base in UP as a kid. quite a few years ago, which was surrounded by a forest. Snakes (cobras, kraits, pythons) did enter our lawns and habitat from time to time. You just learn to be extra careful, keep the premesis clean, gamaxine in garages and near gutters, and always walk carefully (and loudly) and always carry a torch at night! Surprisingly for all the years I lived there there were very few instances of snake bites. I guess you just learn to coexist together
Bump-Stop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 10:47   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And to think that so many kids play in the roads, parks etc of the community.
Ask your Community Head to send a mailer with the pic that you attached, to everyone in your community.

Very important to avoid any future mishaps.
Old 27th August 2014, 11:02   #570
Team-BHP Support

I sent the pic to my snake expert friend. He said it is wolf snake, the non-venomous kind. He was pretty sad it was killed.

PS: As I said, only experts can really tell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks