Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 18:44   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Try the GT series from ASICS. I've used both GT and Kayano. You can also check out Saucony.

Are you sure your knee pain is because you used neutral shoes? It could be that you just pushed yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Kayano 25 is available in asics store now in multiple sizes. With additional 15% off, it seems VFM now.
Gentlemen, thank you. I found the GT 2000 8 in my size at the local asics store at a discount even. 2020 model so its not too old. I am still breaking in the shoes, but the difference from my nike frees are vast. The kayano 25's are only available in the women's range with great discounts. I will be using these shoes as an all purpose trainer, on everyday walks, and hikes. Seems like a great fit for this purpose. They also have a gt 2000 trail series but it doesn't seem to be available here.

I also heard back from the saucony guys in Pune and they are relaunching the brand in Jan
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 11:14   #287
BHPian

My Lunar Glides which powered me through my first HM and many 10km+ runs were on their last legs. Had a lot of suggestions for Brooks and to wait for Saucony. Considered a few options from Asics, Adidas but wanted to stick with Nike. Used to have a Free Run earlier. Tried the Miller React & Pegasus 37. Went with the Pegs, the cushioning was somewhere in the middle. Am quite happy with them thus far. Still breaking them in. I do want to get another running pair soon to rotate them, was eyeing the Kiprun KS Lite from Decathlon. Any feedback on these? Seem to be extra durable.
Old 25th March 2021, 17:38   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Brought these recently - using them for longer intervals and tempo runs - feels very good.

Attachment 2096173

Have used shoes from most brands, but personally I like Adidas adios , Takumi series, Nike freerun, mizuno wave, vibrant 5 fingers and this Hoka rincon.

Shoes that didn’t suit my kind of running were brooks pure cadence, saucony kinvera and Asics kayano
Wow, I wanted to get a Hoka this time, but unfortunately, they are no longer available in Bangalore. The run lab is permanently closed :-(

Which model is this?

I have sent a request to join the team-bhp strava group, waiting to get it approved.

--Anoop
Old 6th June 2021, 10:30   #289
Team-BHP Support

Guys. I resumed running after a long Covid gap and decided instead of listening to music let me try podcasts instead. So i started listening to varied topics and of course running itself was one such logical choice of topic.

I’d like to recommend one particular podcast by an accomplished Indian BQ runner that I’ve listened a fair bit to over the last one month. I only know Raj as an acquaintance through a common WhatsApp group I’m part of which he runs and my intention to share this is purely because I really found the podcast useful and interesting. Sharing with the exclusive motive if other members find it similarly helpful. I am pasting what he shared (key extracts from a message if anyone wants to check it out).

What I like is that he picks up some of the best experts in the field of running, Indian and international, amateurs and hard core pros (please browse through the names - it really is quite an illustrious list) and creates wonderful technical podcasts on various focused subjects, be it MAF; HR based running; power (Stryd); Hansons / Luke Humphrey method; Nutrition, Strength Training; Ultra running etc.

In addition to this podcast (Running and Fitness with Raj) I would also recommend TheExtraMilest Show - again an excellent podcast in its own right. Extramilest is run by Floris Gierman (MAF philosophy) and again has some excellent interviews.

Both these shows are brilliantly put together and if running to music / podcasts is your thing, then do check these out.

EXTRACT FROM A WA MESSAGE FROM RAJ:

The show is over one year old, and Raj has interviewed 55 guests, including Olympic Gold Medalist Abhinav Bindra, Olympic medalist and fastest American Women's marathoner Deena Kastor, renowned coaches like Luke Humphrey, Steve Palladino, Jason Fitzgerald, highly acclaimed Indian athletes and coaches like Anubhav Karmakar, Kaustubh 'Kau' Radkar, outstanding athletes Yash Muthiyan, Satwik Rajani, Kashyap Mody, nutritionists and health experts like Rupali Mehta, Sharda Agarwal and Mahesh Jayaraman, world renowned authors like Alex Hutchinson, Matt Fitzgerald, Patrick McKeown, globally renowned sports scientist Dr. Stephen Seiler, and other many, many other outstanding guests.
You can listen to the podcast on all platform platforms and here are the links to a few:
Apple Podcasts (http://ow.ly/TJDl50A7tpV),
Spotify (http://ow.ly/p2DK50A7tpR),
JioSaavn (http://ow.ly/3TmQ50A7tpU) and
Google Podcasts (http://ow.ly/lDLr50A7tpS).
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 07:25   #290
BHPian

Has anybody bought shoes from here? The website appears crude although shoe details are correct. Even more surprising the website claims to show availability in all sizes, in these times. Which in itself is making me paranoid!

My old Merrell Bare Access has finally given up. Unable to find something like the Merrell Vapor Glove locally.

Xero shoes have good reviews and I was surprised to find an India specific online store...

I am looking at the Xero HFS model
Old 18th June 2021, 09:35   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Has anybody bought shoes from here? The website appears crude although shoe details are correct. Even more surprising the website claims to show availability in all sizes, in these times. Which in itself is making me paranoid!

My old Merrell Bare Access has finally given up. Unable to find something like the Merrell Vapor Glove locally.

Xero shoes have good reviews and I was surprised to find an India specific online store...

If there is no physical office listed in the contact us page, you can be rest assured its a fake website which will never deliver. And if they do, you will only receive a fake product.

There's one such website for every brand in india. Insane.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 09:53   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If there is no physical office listed in the contact us page, you can be rest assured its a fake website which will never deliver. And if they do, you will only receive a fake product.

There's one such website for every brand in india. Insane.
I just noticed that as well a few mins ago! Thanks though
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:35   #293
BHPian

Glad to see this thread. I have been running since 1993 actually, and a bit more seriously since 2010 (First GPS-tracked run was on May 15, 2020 on my old Forerunner 305).

How are you guys doing? I have been running very early in the mornings (4:30 am) to avoid people, back by 6 at the latest. If I wake up later, I run indoors on my treadmill.
johy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:27   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post

Love those Vapor Glove shoes - went through 2 pairs of them some 4 - 5 years ago. Never found any viable supply options in India. Pre-covid Merrell running shoes were always exorbitantly high.

Brooks has had a discount sale going on for about ~2 weeks now. Check if the options (that are available) suit you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
How are you guys doing? I have been running very early in the mornings (4:30 am) to avoid people, back by 6 at the latest. If I wake up later, I run indoors on my treadmill.
I just run whenever I can if work permits - usually in the mornings 5 - 8 am or late in the night 8 - 10 pm. I am not that worried about avoiding people; in the mornings, I usually find a decent bunch of runners & cyclists passing by me, in the areas I run.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:52   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

I just run whenever I can if work permits - usually in the mornings 5 - 8 am or late in the night 8 - 10 pm. I am not that worried about avoiding people; in the mornings, I usually find a decent bunch of runners & cyclists passing by me, in the areas I run.
Thanks for your inputs. I was actually speaking with regards to the pandemic, it does tend to get crowded with walkers after 6 am where I live. I don't avoid people per se.
johy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:25   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Brooks has had a discount sale going on for about ~2 weeks now. Check if the options (that are available) suit you.
Thanks!

I had a Pure Flow 7. That had a 4mm heel toe drop. Looks like that series or equivalent is not available.
Old 4th May 2022, 12:08   #297
Team-BHP Support

Need suggestions .

I do brisk walk / light jog for ~5 kilometres for at least 5 days a week. I was wearing an ASICS Gel Kinsei 6, pretty happy with it. Wearing an Adidas boost now, but, want a trail kind of shoe as my place of walk / jog is cemented or very rough road with mud / dust etc.

Are Goretex shoes available online? Alternatively, need few quick dry T’s. Suggestions for that would be good too.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th May 2022 at 14:05.
Old 5th May 2022, 19:10   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Are Goretex shoes available online?
I would advise against Goretex shoes unless you go out a lot in the rain. I own a pair for use in the rain - not for run/jog, just while going out. They are very good in the rain to avoid getting the feet wet. But, at other times, even in the mild spring temps here (8-10 degrees C), I feel that my feet get too hot in them.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 20:18   #299
BHPian

I use Sauconys Kinvaras. Minimimal support, moderate cushioning and 4mm heel to toe drop. I feel it helps me keep an optimum running posture. I'm getting up there in age (close to 54). I have started mixing it up a little bit now and no longer only run. Basically, I have switched to triathlons as this way I am forced to use multiple muscle groups to help me keep fit. I also enjoy mountain biking. To me, core strengthening, foam rolling, warm ups and stretching is key to have a long injury free career. Also compared to my younger days, it takes me a longer time to recover, so I've gotten better at listening to my body. If I'm not fully recovered, my body makes it loud and clear and my heart rate goes up and I slow down rather than continuing to push it (when training). Before a race, I make sure that I have at least 4 days of rest from training. As the saying goes, the shorter the run, the longer the warm up! Currently, I can do a 10K (moderate hills) in about 43 min on a good day and 46min on a bad day.

For biking I can average around 29kmph over 25km, again, assuming moderate hills and non gusty conditions. This is considered slow as some of the guys in my club can average 35kmph over 90km. This is where I really need to improve and it has been a recent focus of mine. On the other hand, I dont have a tri bike that is optimized for aerodynamics. I have a bad back/sciatica, so an aggressive aero position can be painful after even a few minutes.

If I am a bad biker, I am an even worse swimmer! I average 2:25/100m over 1-1.5km. However the swim portion is usually the shortest part of the race, and it is biking where I lose most of my time.

The hard core athletes in my club put as much as 3-4 hours of training per DAY. This is on top of their family obligations, work etc. I just do not have that level of commitment. They are crazy and wake up at 4am to get their hours in. I average maybe 45min per day, LOL. Maybe when I retire/quit my job, I can focus on this and give it a lot more time.

BTW, I am currently based in the US (have lived here for almost 40 years).
goacom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 19:11   #300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I would advise against Goretex shoes unless you go out a lot in the rain. I own a pair for use in the rain - not for run/jog, just while going out. They are very good in the rain to avoid getting the feet wet. But, at other times, even in the mild spring temps here (8-10 degrees C), I feel that my feet get too hot in them.
Thanks.

Glad to know. I was basically looking at these kind.

https://columbiasportswear.co.in/col...m0829-010.html

https://www.skechers.in/pure-trail/220201-BKYL.html

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8600525/t...8600525&type=p

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8572263/t...8572263&type=p

https://www.nike.com/in/t/air-zoom-t...LbV/DH0649-001

https://www.nike.com/in/t/pegasus-tr...5lT/DC8794-301

Quote:
Originally Posted by goacom View Post
I use Sauconys Kinvaras. .
How are its trail shoes?

Thanks.

Most Viewed