Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2005, 08:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Here in this forum, this phrase pops up so many times. But i think its meaning is not clearly defined.

To most of us here, driving pleasure means how "fast" the car goes from 0-100kmph.
So a car doing it in 9 secs has better driving pleasure than a car doing it in 18 secs.

Now my point is, this is a very vague description of driving pleasure.

To me a pleasing driving is not necessary the one which is the fastest, but which is comfortable and safer as well.
I just love the cars with good ergonomics (like design of seats, driving position, ac ..etc.) than cars with outright performance and no ergonomics to talk of.
Thats why a tata indica journey of 100 km will be less tiring than the same journey on a Santro xing (badly designed seats and pedals) or a wagonr (narrow and unspportive seats) or an esteem (all of the above bad qualities)...

Thats why a Fiat Palio 1.2 nv with 0-100kmph of 17 secs gives me more driving pleasure than a zen doing the same in 13 odd seconds...

What are the views of fellow t-bhpians on this....
You said it, Dceite!

Driving pleasure to me is a car doing its cruising speed on the highway, with NO rattles or noises except that of the engine lounging while still doing about 120, with every little rut or pothole being dismissed contemptuously. I dont give a **** about 0-100 times, but some decent acceleration from start and excellent in-gear acceleration are what I expect. Both my Accent and my Safari have fulfilled these requirements quite well, while two other vehicles I have owned that fall into what some people call "performance machines" on the forum (Civic and Mondeo) have disappointed me on that count.
Old 3rd November 2005, 10:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't driving pleasure also depend on how other drivers around you are driving? Think about it!
Old 3rd November 2005, 14:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Doesn't driving pleasure also depend on how other drivers around you are driving? Think about it!
When I'm driving my Dicor, it doesnt matter how others drive - I dont mind driving over a pesky Zen or two...
Old 3rd November 2005, 14:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
When I'm driving my Dicor, it doesnt matter how others drive - I dont mind driving over a pesky Zen or two...

that was hilarious....
Old 3rd November 2005, 14:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Thought about it... that's why I said 'a quiet cabin'... I don't like back-seat drivers driving me nuts!

Last edited by msprabhakar : 3rd November 2005 at 14:28.
Old 3rd November 2005, 14:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
haha !!! just beware .. a H2 driven by a guy with a similar mindset might take a liking to your Smart someday !
Old 3rd November 2005, 15:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

driving pleasure = the smile i have when i get out after the drive.
the bigger the smile , the greater the pleasure . means the car , driver , conditions and what have u have worked in perfect harmony
Old 3rd November 2005, 23:19   #23
BHPian

Driving pleasure? To me it means a long drive along a twisty and smooth road with moderate traffic, listening to all the sounds the car makes, the throb of the engine, downshifing and accelerating through gears as you overtake....all this at a moderate speed (so that you dont have to red-line your brain to process what's coming at you!) ...and most importantly the smile on your face everytime you blip the throttle as you downshift to make that smooth quick overtake.

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 3rd November 2005 at 23:20.
Old 4th November 2005, 03:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Driving Pleasure for me is to cruise around at a comfortable speed(60kmph-80kmph),with some lounge or soft rock kinda music thrown in.Its the ultimate pleasure drive for me.

X
Old 4th November 2005, 05:57   #25
BHPian

driving pleasure for me is...when i drive my car at a speed of 60 to 80 kmph on a road like the mumbai-pune expressway with trance tunes playin on the player!!!
Old 4th November 2005, 11:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Driving at a average speed of 60kmph on empty road with no rattling noises in the car, listening to mild music & having one in the front seat discussing on mutually interested topics
Old 4th November 2005, 12:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

driving...

pleasure: an SUV, good music, road from bombay to kerala, and smooth driving at 80 kmph or thereabouts...(speaking from experience)...

happiness: a hatch, a li'l bit of bass music, some twists and turns, at speeds of 120 or 140 or thereabouts...

fulfillment: a sedan, no music, thumping bass from the engine notes and the flowing flutes from the turbos, with nos and long twisty roads for company...

sanity: a gypsy at raid de himalaya, or a mahindra classic at a slush fest...

insanity: lancia stratos at raid de himalaya....

some wishful thinking, eh...(the last one)...
Old 4th November 2005, 13:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
driving...

pleasure:
happiness:
fulfillment:

sanity:
insanity:
Hey veyron1, Good definitions... but you forgot to define bliss...!
Old 4th November 2005, 15:47   #29
Team-BHP Support

Bliss : Tanking up at a fuel station for less than 1000 bucks just because you have an oil burner
Old 4th November 2005, 16:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Bliss (in an oil burner):
- Keep the engine and AC running when wifey is out buying vegetables and sit back and watch people around you watching you watching them....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks