Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:41   #76
Team-BHP Support

I'm a long-term ICICI customer, and have been a fraud victim myself (credit card in my case, and relatively smaller amounts), so I do have some first-hand insight on how it works with them.

First and foremost, if you're blaming yourself, STOP. This happens to the most careful and paranoid of us. It doesn't matter how carefully we safeguard our info, there are plenty of places where an info leak can happen, including at the bank itself.

As to their redressal mechanism:

1. You will be asked to submit a CDF (Customer Dispute Form) specifying exact transactions that you want to dispute. In my case, they refunded the disputed amounts upfront, with the rider that they'll take that money back if their investigation doesn't prove fraud. Refunds may also happen post-investigation. Whatever they're doing in your case, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING, COUNTERSIGNED BY AN AUTHORISED SIGNATORY.

2. Cancel and destroy your cards, in that order. Get fresh ones issued. Insist on chip & PIN based cards.

3. Most banks now provide fraud protection and liability waivers on all cards. It's basically insurance against such occurrences, and you won't be hassled going around proving your case. Explore this option.

4. As long as the bank is satisfied you didn't make these transactions, you will get your money back. If you don't, take it to the next level (banking ombudsman) . You are NOT at the bank's mercy.

In the future, try to keep your funds distributed across multiple accounts. Frauds can happen despite the best precautions, and keeping your money distributed ensures you aren't penniless while it's being sorted out.

Good Luck, update this thread on how this progresses.
Old 4th February 2016, 03:31   #77
BHPian

Re: ATM Fraud: advice to safe guard my money and ensure refund

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
I am assured by my bank, ICICI not to worry, they have promised that I will be credited full refund after their internal investigation. Supposedly their insurance will pay them after investigation. Since my fiance is in the gulf, it may take a bit longer for her to get this credited back. I am secretly being optimistic, though I am worried at how my new year is shaping, in fact I have been asking around on how to change and improve my time. I am sure there must be better things to come once I get all this behind me.
s_pphilip, Please don't bother yourself much about whether you will get it back or not. You DEFINITELY will get your money back.

How do i know this for sure? Because i was a victim of debit card fraud 6 months back. My ICICI debit card details along with my PIN were skimmed by somebody in Mumbai and a sum of close to 48000 Rs was stolen from my account through cash withdrawals from an ATM in Thane.

Raised a case with ICICI and submitted proof of stay that i was in fact in Bangalore at the time of the fraudulent withdrawals. I took a screenshot of my company's swipe in/swipe out details for the said day and mailed it to them. And within 1-2 months i got my entire money back.

So, please don't lose sleep over this, you will get your money back.
Old 4th February 2016, 06:32   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
I had enough of this roller coaster, Friends wish me lots of luck and good fortune for this new year!
I wish you the best - think things will get resolved soon. No worries with ICICI!

Here's what I suggest - keep a separate account for cash withdrawals. I have a gold zero balance account from ICICI on the basis of my residential complex. That account never has more than 50k in it ever - it is filled up only with monthly transfers for cash expenses. I NEVER use my salary account debit card for any physical transactions ever! I'm Paranoid but I simply don't trust technology anymore in these matters.
Old 5th February 2016, 10:46   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I wish you the best - think things will get resolved soon. No worries with ICICI!

Here's what I suggest - keep a separate account for cash withdrawals. I have a gold zero balance account from ICICI on the basis of my residential complex. That account never has more than 50k in it ever - it is filled up only with monthly transfers for cash expenses. I NEVER use my salary account debit card for any physical transactions ever! I'm Paranoid but I simply don't trust technology anymore in these matters.
+1, I am kinda equally paranoid about my cards.

I don't use my main account's card anywhere, at merchants or online. Only 1 beneficiary is added to it, that's my other account. I usually transfer a certain amount to my other account, whose card I use only at ATMs. For NEFT transfers etc also I use this account.

For online transactions I use a credit card, on which I have blocked international transactions.

These days, we get the option of creating prepaid virtual card as well for the online transactions.
Old 9th February 2016, 14:44   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
+1, I am kinda equally paranoid about my cards.

I don't use my main account's card anywhere, at merchants or online. Only 1 beneficiary is added to it, that's my other account.
While I use my salary account Debit card for most of the ATM transactions and NEFT, I limit ATM withdrawals mostly to ATMs in my office campus or ATMs attached with a branch. Immediately after salary credit I normally keep just enough money required in the immediate future in the salary account, rest transferred to another account. I have multiple savings accounts, so if fraud happens with one account my exposure will not be more than 20%.
Old 24th June 2018, 12:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

Re: The ATM problems thread

Wow, never thought this would be the case !
Quote:
Bengaluru-based woman who, while she was pregnant and was on maternity leave a few years ago, had given her debit card to her husband to withdraw Rs 25,000 from her SBI account. However, when her husband tried to withdraw the amount, the cash was not disbursed, but the slip got printed duly debiting the said amount from her SBI account.
The couple filed a complaint, which got rejected by the bank, saying that sharing her ATM password with her husband was against the rules. Then they moved court.
The Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, Bengaluru, however, also held that since the Complainant (holder) of ATM/ Debit Card had shared the PIN with her husband, “it tantamounts to breach of condition under which the ATM/Debit cards are issued by SBI, and hence SBI is not liable to compensate holder of the card towards any loss incurred by the holder.”
The Forum then dismissed the complaint filed by the couple.
Legally,
Quote:
If the woman was unable to go anywhere, she should have given a cheque to her husband to withdraw the money from her account.
Link: https://www.financialexpress.com/mon...ution/1217120/
Old 1st October 2018, 14:05   #82
Team-BHP Support

I had the strangest experience with HDFC ATM on 20-09-2018 at Kalyan Nagar branch, Bangalore. It was around 9:09am and I was withdrawing 15000 cash. Everything went fine and then the money came out in Rajnikanth style, in a roundhouse action from right to left. I was caught by surprise, to see this new way of dispensing cash. But the moment I caught the cash, the machine pulled it back into its belly.

As I stood there confused, it made some more sounds and offered it back again after 5 seconds. However, now the cash was folded and it was being offered by the spine of the fold. As I tried get a hold of it, it pulled it back again, and closed the cash window. The display said thanks, and my account balance showed 15K less. ATM had decided that my money has been dispensed. After standing there for another minute, I was furious at this machine robbery. I called the security guard who was standing outside and told him about what happened.

Guard: Sir, it happens sometimes because of network problems.
Me: Network problem? Dude, network problem can't make the machine to take back the money.
Guard: No sir, that is what network problems do.
Me: Oh god.... has any bank officers arrived yet? I don't want to lose my 15K to a faulty ATM.
Guard: No, not yet.

While I was standing there and arguing with the guard, suddenly the ATM makes more noises. The cash door opens and the money comes out again in folded fashion. This time I was super quick. I held the cash by the spine, and pulled it out. I finally had got my 15k, I even counted it to be sure.

The security guard was stunned, and said "I have never seen the cash come out in folded fashion!".

The money finally came out 3-4 minutes after the transaction was over. It was almost like the ATM felt cornered and paid up. It behaved like a cornered pick pocket. I later called my relationship manager and told her what happened.

It was like judgment day, the ATMs have become self-aware.
Old 1st October 2018, 15:15   #83
BHPian

Laughed hard at this . Should've posted this in the jokes thread :P
Old 1st October 2018, 16:26   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I had the strangest experience with HDFC ATM on 20-09-2018 at Kalyan Nagar branch, Bangalore.
I had a similar experience in Delhi, the cash came out and went back. Only, did not come back out again. However, nothing was deducted from my account, although I had informed HDFC just in case.
Old 1st October 2018, 20:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

A week back, a senior colleague requested me to help him generate a new password for his freshly issued SBI debit card. When I looked at the card, I was stupefied to find that it was an NFC enabled Gold card. Given his non-techie nature, I advised him to surrender it and opt for a normal card. His request was not heeded to by the bank.

Today, I came across this:

Quote:
...it has been decided to decrease the cash withdrawal limits of debit cards issued or being issued on 'Classic' and 'Maestro' platforms,"
Quote:
Our internal analysis shows most actual withdrawals are of smaller amounts. So, Rs 20,000 should be adequate for most customers. We are trying to see whether smaller withdrawals could minimise frauds
Quote:
...customers with a requirement for higher ATM withdrawals can switch to card variants offering the same. For instance, the SBI Platinum International Debit Card allows ATM withdrawals of up to Rs 1 lakh daily while the Gold debit card allows Rs 50,000 per day. Such cards are issued to those maintaining a higher minimum balance in their bank accounts
Not only are we forced by the Government to keep our hard earned money in the bank, we are also prevented from withdrawing it as and when we want. Whatever happened to the promise of minimum Government and maximum governance?

Are we turning the banking clock back by a few years? Are ATMs on the way out?

Well, before I explore the questions further, I need to visit one and in the rare event of the machine not being empty, withdraw some cash - and keep withdrawing it till 31st October - the day the new rule will come into force.

Oh wait! I can't keep cash at home. Who knows when I might need to surrender it back - to the bank .
Old 6th October 2018, 12:09   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Not only are we forced by the Government to keep our hard earned money in the bank, we are also prevented from withdrawing it as and when we want.
No offense meant to anyone but SBI has put restrictions only on Cash Withdrawal from ATMs. You can swipe the debit card on POS machines at merchant locations instead of paying cash.
Old 6th October 2018, 13:21   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Not only are we forced by the Government to keep our hard earned money in the bank, we are also prevented from withdrawing it as and when we want. Whatever happened to the promise of minimum Government and maximum governance?
Despite all these "ideas" by the government, black money is circulating in full swing. It is just a tiny tip of the iceberg that only these were "raided".

Gold and cash seized

Raids continue

Last edited by AltoLXI : 6th October 2018 at 13:22.
Old 6th October 2018, 20:27   #88
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
A week back, a senior colleague requested me to help him generate a new password for his freshly issued SBI debit card. When I looked at the card, I was stupefied to find that it was an NFC enabled Gold card. Given his non-techie nature, I advised him to surrender it and opt for a normal card. His request was not heeded to by the bank.

Are we turning the banking clock back by a few years? Are ATMs on the way out?

Oh wait! I can't keep cash at home. Who knows when I might need to surrender it back - to the bank .
1.The bank staff barring a few good souls I have across are mostly useless. Please ask him to block the card and then order a new card through net banking where he can choose any variant he is eligible for. My account for example shows I am eligible for Classic Visa /MC/ Rupay or Visa / MC International or Visa /MC NFC card.

2. ATMs are on the way out ever since demonetization. POS machines have mushroomed like anything.

3. The withdrawal limit applies only on the Classic variants. The higher variants don't have these restrictions. Again, SBI is the only bank anyways.

4. Ever since demonetization, I carry huge amounts of cash when I am on a vacation usually to remote parts of Himalayas. Before demonetization, I remember at any point of my 20 day Ladakh trip, I never carried more than 4K with me. This, despite the nearest ATMs sometimes being 250 Km away from the places I visited.Atms being shut after the demonetization inducing fear in me. Having demonetized cash is better than having no cash as most people were accepting demonetized cash.

Let's hope demonetizagion remains once a century thing and not when the government is bored.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 6th October 2018 at 20:30.
Old 17th September 2019, 18:18   #89
BHPian

ATM fraud

Till today i just used to think that ATM frauds which i read about in newspapers is an improbability which can never happen to me. Turns out i am a fool.

Though it still didn't happened to me. But still...

Today exactly at noon i got a call on my mobile from an unknown number (don't know if i can post the number here or not). I pick up the call and the guy on the other side goes like -

Fraudster: Sir, i am calling from the ATM card service center. Today your ATM card got blocked. Do you want to restore it?
Me: From which bank are you calling? ( i have two ATM cards from separate banks)
Fraudster: What do you mean which bank? (at this point my brain raised the alarm)
Me: Bhaiya, you must be calling from some bank na? There is no such thing as ATM card service center.
Fraudster: Nahi sir. Hota hai. Aapko nahi pata. Give me your details. I will activate it.
Me: Why did it got blocked? i haven't used it in 5 years. (Phone disconnects)

Now i was sure that this was a fraud call. After allowing his audacity and sophistication to waft over me for 2 minutes. I again called at the number just to check how big his balls were if i show him i am aware that he is a fraudster. The second call made by me -

Me: Bhaiya, why did you hang up?
Fraudster: Why shouldn't i hang up? when you don't want to give me details
Me: I will give you all the details. But first you provide me with yours.
Fraudster: Why?
Me: So that i can report you to the police as i know you are a fraudster. (Then he begins with the choicest of abuses and ultimately hangs up after i threaten him that i have got his number and can still report it to the police)

This post is primarily a caution to all the BHPians. Though i am aware all of you are much more alert than me but still i little reminder doesn't harm.

I still don't know whether i should report this to police or not as on the face of it it's a trivial matter. And as per experience police isn't going to do much about it. Still asking for advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks