Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2024, 12:48   #736
BHPian

Re: Help with a home loan!

I have a homeloan approved by the bank and they wouldn't disburse it if I don't take their loan protection/insurance. As far as I know, home loan insurance is not mandatory in India. Who should I complain to about this? RBI ombudsman or IRDAI? Please help
Old 10th September 2024, 12:56   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I have a homeloan approved by the bank and they wouldn't disburse it if I don't take their loan protection/insurance. As far as I know, home loan insurance is not mandatory in India. Who should I complain to about this? RBI ombudsman or IRDAI? Please help
Per my knowledge loan insurance is not mandatory. Please ask them to send a mail to you on these conditions. I know someone who was told that home loan interest will be bit higher if insurance was not taken which did not materialize during disbursement.
115 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 13:13   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, home loan insurance is not mandatory in India.
Not mandatory, its the usual arm twisting tactics. Tell that its not required.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 13:32   #739
BHPian

Quote:
No need to actually complain. Simply refuse the insurance part (if you don't want it) and if they keep on insisting, tell them you will put a complaint to RBI Ombudsman. They will stop it.

For one case, a simple refusal over phone did it for me. In another case, they were very forceful and after a few calls (of refusal), I sent the RM an email stating "I don't want the loan at all. Kindly close my application." This did the trick and they completed the disbursement next day.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 13:48   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which Bank is this? When I took one from HDFC few years back, they asked me to take this insurance. When I told them I don't need it, they asked if I had a term plan or a life insurance that can cover the outstanding loan amount. I had both, so they just made a note that I have an existing term plan and that did it.
dass is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks