Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2018, 20:57   #571
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Which bank to open an account in?

Facing peculiar problems with Corporation Bank and SBI.

Corporation Bank : Opened an account there 3 years back.Forgot both the last used transaction password and well as the security hint to reset it. The branch says they can't do anything and there is no way to reset it using debit card details and pin which I have.

SBI : Opened this account 6 months back. The Internet banking user id got locked the first time I logged in and have not been able to reset it even after visiting the branch multiple times. The lady at the helpdesk was honest enough to admit she didn't know why the system was not allowing her to reset the password.

Can't close the SBI account as it has an FD with a lien on it for the credit card. Also, when I travelled in the Himalayas, outside cities, the only banks I saw were J&K Bank and SBI.

Considering closing the Corporation Bank account and opening one in KVB. The main attraction is the evening working hours. They are open till 630 PM which is very convenient.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 10th August 2018 at 21:03.
Old 25th December 2018, 09:34   #572
BHPian

Got a mail and call from HDFC Bank informing the balance I am keeping is insufficient (They asked for 2L in savings account and 15L FD) to maintain my preferred banking status. Can other members check and confirm if they received similar mailers/calls and are maintaining these balances or using other methods to keep their preferred status with HDFC?

Is it really worth it?

Thanks in advance for your time and inputs
Old 25th December 2018, 10:46   #573
Senior - BHPian

Which bank to open an account in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Got a mail and call from HDFC Bank informing the balance I am keeping is insufficient (They asked for 2L in savings account and 15L FD) to maintain my preferred banking status. Can other members check and confirm if they received similar mailers/calls and are maintaining these balances or using other methods to keep their preferred status with HDFC?

Is it really worth it?

Thanks in advance for your time and inputs

It's either 2L in savings OR 15L combined (FD/savings). Not both.

If you have other family members (e.g: spouse), you can include them in the group and then the balance can be across all grouped accounts.

Is it worth? You should check the benefits and see if they are of any value to you. Some common benefits are free NEFT transactions/cash withdrawal in other bank ATMs. Even Classic banking has similar benefits.
Old 26th December 2018, 23:24   #574
Team-BHP Support

Guys, we need a bank locker for storing jewelry.

Which bank has the least hassles for getting one ?
Which bank is the cheapest ?

I stay in Delhi so I want a locker here and bank with ICICI (Kolkata Branch) & HDFC (Gurgaon Branch).
Old 27th December 2018, 00:37   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can other members check and confirm if they received similar mailers/calls and are maintaining these balances or using other methods to keep their preferred status with HDFC?
Not from HDFC but got a similar mail from Standard Chartered stating that ot maintain Priority Banking status, I need to either have 30L Asset Under Management or 2Cr Mortgage. Currently, I have my salary account with them and also a home loan of <50L and was given Priority banking status.

I don't think I have utilized any priority banking benefits apart from airport lounge access using their visa debit card. However, even that is of no use now since both the lounges in Bangalore domestic terminal no longer cater to visa. So I am not going to bother holding on to the priority status.

Could this be a DeMo effect that more money has come into the banking system, which in-turn resulted in more people falling under the eligibility criteria for premium services and hence this increase of the min threshold?
Old 27th December 2018, 08:04   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, we need a bank locker for storing jewelry.

I stay in Delhi so I want a locker here and bank with ICICI (Kolkata Branch) & HDFC (Gurgaon Branch).
We used to have one in ICICI in Chandigarh. It was a very old locker, taken in Rajasthan Bank, which was then taken over by ICICI. Never had any issues. Just remember to have enough balance in the account so they can deduct locker charges.
Now, we have one in SBI. Again, no complications in opening the locker account. They did take a 10k FD to open the locker but that seems to be a local demand than a rule.
Old 27th December 2018, 09:25   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Not from HDFC but got a similar mail from Standard Chartered stating that ot maintain Priority Banking status, I need to either have 30L Asset Under Management or 2Cr Mortgage. Currently, I have my salary account with them and also a home loan of <50L and was given Priority banking status.

I don't think I have utilized any priority banking benefits apart from airport lounge access using their visa debit card. However, even that is of no use now since both the lounges in Bangalore domestic terminal no longer cater to visa. So I am not going to bother holding on to the priority status.

Could this be a DeMo effect that more money has come into the banking system, which in-turn resulted in more people falling under the eligibility criteria for premium services and hence this increase of the min threshold?
**An observation here. I did use the Visa lounge in Bangalore domestic terminal, it is the one on the right after security check with my IDFC bank visa debit card. Very good experience was able to take my whole family in thanks to minor accts. I have a good experience with IDFC Bank for last 2 years now **
Old 27th December 2018, 10:36   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

I stay in Delhi...
You may know this already, but the key () factor while hiring a locker should be proximity + convenience.

Hiring a locker isn't much of a hassle - the availability in a bank convenient to you is. The annual rent for the locker varies according to its size and it could range from Rs. 1,000/- to Rs. 15,000/- per annum (excluding GST). More on this below.

If you can share your location in Delhi, probably it would be easier to narrow down your choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Just remember to have enough balance in the account so they can deduct locker charges.

They did take a 10k FD to open the locker but that seems to be a local demand than a rule.
Yes - you have to give a standing instruction to debit your savings account towards the yearly locker rent.

Actually, there are a couple of ways adopted for this 'security deposit' - (a) the amount of deposit is arrived based on the annual interest on the deposit equivalent to your locker rent; or, (b) three times the annual rent is taken as the deposit, with annual rent being debited to your savings account.

Of course, in localities where there is high demand, locker is one of the carrots dangled to garner business....
Old 27th December 2018, 15:40   #579
BHPian

Here is my list of experiences.
I had a bit of banking drama over last year with HDFC.
I was with HDFC for long (about 10 years) where I started with my salary account and later added NRE account as well after moving abroad. I had a very good relationship with the branch manager however at some point HDFC life came into picture and I was more than happy to have a policy. It has been the worst move both for me and the bank as the HDFC life side of things were a joke. Nonexistence of customer care made me close all relations with HDFC bank and HDFC life.

I moved on to Axis and have been enjoying their priority service for last few months. I believe NRI + min 2L makes it a priority account to begin with.
One big advantage is that Axis has a very good presence in the digital/app space. Their app works really well in particular which is not something I have seen a lot with other banks. Net banking portal is also very good.

It’s too early to make educated conclusions on overall service, but the first feel is definitely on positive side. I was already able to make use of their free cab pick up service etc. Now planning on having my wife's account added.

I also operate an account at Corporation bank. Not the best, not the worst. Things move faster when I visit the branch. Digital space including net banking / email-based customer care etc. needs a complete revamp in my view.

Federal bank is also something I work with but not a lot in recent days. Similar feedback as that of Corporation bank.

I had done business earlier with SBI, but I kicked them out from my list due to all common reasons. No customer service, almost impossible to get into a branch and do business unless you are ready to wait hours or make multiple visits and so on.
Old 28th December 2018, 20:28   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
However, even that is of no use now since both the lounges in Bangalore domestic terminal no longer cater to visa. So I am not going to bother holding on to the priority status.
I made use of Bangalore lounge using VISA about 2 weeks back.
Old 29th December 2018, 12:32   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I made use of Bangalore lounge using VISA about 2 weeks back.
That is good to know. Maybe there was some issue when I went couple of months back. They were only accepting Amex, MasterCard and Prioroty Pass.
Old 17th January 2019, 13:45   #582
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Been having a SBI account for the past few years and was using the magnetic strip type debit card that came with the account opening pack (name on card says "State Bank Customer").

Cut to this month and I suddenly receive a message that my "card" has been dispatched and when I get the package, it says this a new replacement card (chip type) branded "SBI In Touch". It also mentions that once I generate an ATM PIN for the new card, old card will be deactivated. All good so far, but reality was a lot different.

Tried the options to generate the ATM PIN - i.e via Phone/IVRS, SMS to 567676, online and directly at the ATM. In all these channels, the first step will be to receive an OTP (one time PIN in this case) on the registered mobile and then select a new PIN within 24 hours by visiting an SBI ATM. In all these modes, I did not receive the OTP via SMS.

When I visited the branch, they gave lame reasons like Inbox may be full on the phone, Service may be having issues so try after some time, one of the officers even said call Customer care and block the card! The manager was surprised that I received the card and said it wasn't initiated by the branch. After this, I headed to another branch in the vicinity and found there were few other customers of that branch with a similar problem.

Got busy with work and forgot about the card for about 10 days.

Then I thought I'll give the SMS to 567676 option a try and voila it worked! Got the OTP, visited an ATM and changed the PIN.

Next, I found that the old card was still active even after couple of days so called customer care and had it blocked/closed, received a confirmation SMS also.

Thought I'd share this for the benefit of others, since the officers at my branch were also surprised when I said I was able to generate a PIN for the new card, apparently many other customers have complained recently about this issue.

*Some people have even flagged 567676 as a "fraud" number, probably frustrated that it didn't work!

Last edited by NPV : 17th January 2019 at 13:50.
Old 17th January 2019, 14:31   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I suddenly receive a message that my "card" has been dispatched
You are not alone here. I have a colleague who had the privilege of having three different SBI debit cards at the same time; all of them were working!

SBI has always had this issue with not being prompt with SMS', specially OTPs. Combined with a BSNL number, the non receipt of timely messages can be a real headache.

The one you have got could be a contact less card. If yes, do use it with due care.
Old 17th January 2019, 14:45   #584
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I have a colleague who had the privilege of having three different SBI debit cards at the same time; all of them were working!
When I found the old card working even couple of days after the new one was activated, visited the branch and the officer said I can use both if I wanted! That would simply mean more risk and I was really questioning why it hadn't been blocked automatically as claimed in the mailer they sent ? Obviously, at SBI such questions don't get any answers.

Quote:
The one you have got could be a contact less card. If yes, do use it with due care.
Yes, sir, it is, needs lot of caution.
Old 17th January 2019, 15:08   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes, sir, it is, needs lot of caution.
Not sure whether they really do what they claim to be capable of. But RFID sleeves are apparently capable of preventing unintended detection of and accidental transactions through contact less cards.

Two links here:
1. amazon
2. AliExpress

Disclaimer: No commercial interests involved. Posting in the larger interests of the community .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks