Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 20:11   #16
BHPian

Its going to be really mad traffic without the improvement in infrastructure
Old 14th January 2009, 01:37   #17
BHPian

And these autoswallahs go breaking rules just because they have this huge union. rarely i've seen autowallahs getting screwed by cops for polluting.

as a biker when i come to bangalore I get a headache thanks to the pollution created especially by these autos.

now whenever I have some work in bangalore I come by KSRTC from tumkur and then use the Volvo city buses to my delight. and its cheaper on the pocket too !.

p.s CNG coversion sounds a good idea (as done in ahmedabad) but these autowallahs also use sasta 2 stroke oil (btw most of the autos are 2 strokers) which burn off and create excess smoke. so there goes the plan of having a cleaner option.

my 2 cents on an auto in a light manner from my blog an extract from it

Quote:
Auto -> Autorickshaw,

Defn- an infernal contraption consisting of 3 wheels with a polluting 2 stroke engine with a paper like bodywork.

General Characteristics of an Auto- Zig zag driving, cutting through the traffic, sudden change of direction which may violate newton's laws of motion.

-Polluting the air is a definitive must.

-The throttle alwayspinned down to the max and the silencer making an awful racket.

-Dhabchik Dhabchik like audio at full blast whether the passenger wants to listen to it or not.

-The rear tailights most probably not working or been converted to a glittery "laser" light show. Add to that some flashy LED lights in some of the "better" autos.

-The RVM's (rear view mirrrors) not pointed at the the traffic behind, but at the passenger section where they observe their pretty memsahiba(s) passengers.

-All sorts of Bollywood heroes/heroines portraits spalashed in the interior body panels or also can be seen as the rear wheel mudflaps.

-Bizzaire nonsensical stickering such as "Ferrari", "2000cc", "Honda", or some not-that-bad-ones like "Raja Rani","Phir Milenge"

Resuming,

Bangalore , as i have to bear this, doesnt have any norm against autos. Not even a cent. Mostly you'll find happily burning and polluting (both AIR and PEACE) , you may not make out the noise of the Yamaha's superbike R1 but you WILL certainly hear an auto.

They maintain their vehicle pathetically, have no social sense.They change lanes like they are alone on the road. One should see them in action, they take 180 deg turns on the spot just like that and when they commence to take the turn and then their stupid head pops out, to see whether they didnt bang into anyone or if they have some passenger to prey upon. Also have large egos and hold up traffic most of the times. The numbers keep increasing by the day. Urban riding will be a punishment in the coming years.

When I was in Ahmedabad, autowallahs striked for 3 days over increased CNG prices. whenever there's an auto strike, the city has no traffic jams,everything is smooth as silk. Even the so called crowded Old City of ahmedabad is easy to travel through at such times.
Old 14th January 2009, 07:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
but these autowallahs also use sasta 2 stroke oil (btw most of the autos are 2 strokers) which burn off and create excess smoke. so there goes the plan of having a cleaner option.
Autos in bangalore anyway use LPG which is supposed to be cleaner(and i guess dosent use 2T oil).
but yeah no respite from that horrible noice they make, their crappy driving style and their sick attitude(applies to most of them)

Regards,
Old 14th January 2009, 08:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think its gear down for high traffic congestion. This is a big number and I am sure they are not getting similar number of passengers. These autowallahs are more dangerous sitting idle than driving, due to lack of social logic and sense.
Old 14th January 2009, 09:10   #20
BHPian

Oh my god... Adding 7000 more autos to already congested bangalore roads, one can imagine whats going to happen. .
Auto guys have the least traffic and environmental sense.
Old 14th January 2009, 11:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _abhishek View Post
Oh my god... Adding 7000 more autos to already congested bangalore roads, ...
Seems like you frustration made you forget the rule! Only 3 smilies, buddy.
Old 14th January 2009, 11:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Seems like you frustration made you forget the rule! Only 3 smilies, buddy.
Am sure the transport minister must have got a kickback. Sadly even the auto guys do not want any more autos as their income will go down. God help us.

Mera Bharath Mahan
Old 14th January 2009, 13:20   #23
BANNED

I say let there be more. Let them fight and kill, burn and maim each other. Let their income go down. Hope they have to beg for a living.

Just yesterday saw a whole line of Auto guys turning down a handicapped employee outside Diamond District because he wanted to go only 2 kms down the road. Eventually i dropped him. He told me he mostly walks home and leaves office before 5 PM. Yesterday he had to stay back and because of the horrible traffic did not have the courage to walk to his home. He has to pass below the Domlur flyover and i understood why he needed an Auto.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I say let there be more. Let them fight and kill, burn and maim each other. Let their income go down. Hope they have to beg for a living.

Just yesterday saw a whole line of Auto guys turning down a handicapped employee outside Diamond District because he wanted to go only 2 kms down the road...
First - that was a kind gesture, SpitFire!

Now, about the auto's. I agree with you. Let there be more of these and let them fight it out for a trip. These guys are so demanding on where they will go and which trip they will take! It is more like they are doing us a favor by driving these auto's!

Let see how things turn out!
Old 14th January 2009, 14:01   #25
BHPian

Also TO add .

these autos in tumkur robbed students when the recent fuel crisis emerged. Buses to my college are very very rare (5 times a day) and these autos demanded 3-4x of the normally overpriced fare ! (that is 150-200bucks for 10 kms) !

as many had their exams they had to take this option !, alli could do is to do a triple loading to drop my batchmates off (even though its like... breaking a rule).

btw doesn't Bangalore already have shortage of LPG ? then how come these autowallahs operate their autos on LPG ?
Old 14th January 2009, 14:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
A back of the envelope calculation gives as an auto for every 80 person (6500000/80000) living in Bangalore. I'm sure this number will be one of the highest in the country.
That would then be 1 auto wallah to tell every 80 people that they won't go to wherever the passenger wants to go to.... or 1.5 times more.

Adding more auto wallahs only means more autos to refuse to go on hire.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:11   #27
BHPian

We may all blame the Auto wallahs for pollution and congestion of Bangalore roads, we may all call them rowdies but how many of you car pool? or have patience to wait for a BMTC bus? With more than 3000 people coming in to Bangalore every day (floating population) included, Autos still remain the best option for travelers, short hops or for some women folk.
Bangalore did experiment back in those days with something called "citi taxies" (don't know if they exist now) but it was a miserable failure!!
Traffic congestion is everybody's problem and solution not just autos and Call center cabs. Next time you are frustrated by an auto wallah make sure you are not pressing the horn button unnecessarily.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
btw doesn't Bangalore already have shortage of LPG ? then how come these autowallahs operate their autos on LPG ?
The autos run on Auto-LPG ?
I think it must be CNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
We may all blame the Auto wallahs for pollution and congestion of Bangalore roads, we may all call them rowdies but how many of you car pool? .

Agreed, most of the people dont car pool and each and every city has increasing number of single occupant cars, but atleast they know something about discipline and they dont have a union for a small and petty matter. Their behavior is not biased just on the basis of language.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:18   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
We may all blame the Auto wallahs for pollution and congestion of Bangalore roads, we may all call them rowdies but how many of you car pool? or have patience to wait for a BMTC bus?
How many people you know dont car pool? How many times have you travelled by local bus from Old Airport Road to MG Road in peak hours? Do you know of any women folk who utilize the public bus service in Bangalore? What are their views?

What is the bus route from your house in Bangalore to Majestic Busstand? Without using google do you know?

I walk to office 4 days out of 5. Only on Friday i take the car because i have a late meeting.

My wife travels 3 hours everyday by company bus even though she gets an allowance for driver and fuel.

Quote:
With more than 3000 people coming in to Bangalore every day (floating population) included, Autos still remain the best option for travelers, short hops or for some women folk.
LOL. BEST OPTION, you must be kidding me right? Do they come where you want to go or where they would like you to go? Women folk are asked to get down much before they reach their actual destination any time of the day.

Because of the pathetic bus service(getting better with the VOLVO's) they are the only option nothing else. Give an alternative and no one will take one.

I recently hired a Innova for some company guest, they gave me a rate of 9 kms per Kilometer with AC. An Auto charges me 7 per km.

They go on strike for increase in petrol prices when 90% of them run on LPG. Now when prices have been reduced no reduction in fare.

Quote:
Traffic congestion is everybody's problem and solution not just autos and Call center cabs. Next time you are frustrated by an auto wallah make sure you are not pressing the horn button unnecessarily.
Agreed. Traffic Congestion is everybody's problem. Also the infrastructure is as good as the people who can use it. Any amount of wide roads or flyovers will not help matters.

Example: Windtunnel Road. Narrow road. Once signal goes red the Auto and Cab drivers are first to get on the other lane block it totally and if required get in fights with anyone who comes down the right lane. Duh? Traffic Congestion is everybody's problem huh?I think it is caused by the people whom you htink arent the sole reason. Agreed lot of private cars do it too but its only because of the herd mentality. The Auto and cab guy goes i will go too logic.

The road was then widened no use still the same.

Auto's parked on arterial roads outside offices.

Example Diamond District and Intel Office and Manipal Hospital on Old Airport Road. 100% of the time the slow moving traffic is because of this. HONEST. I walk down this road everyday and i witnesss it everytime.

The auto guys are a scum who are festering and breeding on the cheapest work ethics. Making use of a person's desperation is one of the most sickest thing to do.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Was thinking of the same, i think in few years we will be forced to use public transport...

their wont be any room for vehicles on the road at all...forget parking hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
7000 more autos and i still fear, what's going to happen when the Nano goes on sale.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks