Old 29th August 2012, 23:32   #721
Team-BHP Support

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Congrats Arnab

Some pics would be great !
Old 30th August 2012, 03:08   #722
BHPian

There is a Quantum difference between boy and girl infants- I never thought it possible, till I had one each of my own. My first is the daughter, who was quite a calm baby, inquisitive and non-fussy and sound sleeper. Now I have a mini tornado in the form of my 9 month old son, and they're leagues apart. This Guy's a go-getter, fuss pot, Faster-than-the-eye can see kinds and the lightest sleeper in the universe.

Everyday some new revelations and situations present which flummox me to no end- and instead of pulling my hairs out- I now have taken up the task of writing down thoughts (which I am sure other parents would have thought too)

Here goes:

1)Q: What is always bad news?
A: A crying kid with a brown diaper.

2) Q:What goes up and never comes down?
A: An eight month old kid on your hip

3) Q: In the 'Parents book of physics' what is E= MC^2?
A: Energy of your baby = Messing up ability x Crapping ability x Cuteness Factor

4) Q:What is the fastest thing in the universe?
A: An eight month old baby during his diaper change.

I have tons more- and mostly will be publishing my own book soon.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:01   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
There is a Quantum difference between boy and girl infants ...
I dont think generalizations are true. A friend's son likes to play with the dolls & stuff, while his daughter is far more out-going.

btw, nice quotes there. Loved the E=MC^2
Old 30th August 2012, 10:02   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak

5) A chef par excellence. At making instant Lactogen(Formula Feed) when ever needed.
Congrats mate. You must be on cloud 9!

However, Why formula feed for a 20 day old? Any particular indication, or just as a pacifier?

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 30th August 2012 at 10:03.
Old 6th September 2012, 19:08   #725
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
congratulations Arnab!
Thanks Vivek..

Its been a long cherished dream come true

@ Geo Ipe.

The Formula is needed to act as a pacifier.

The feeling of cloud 9 actually cant be explained though!!

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2012 at 18:50. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 6th September 2012, 20:01   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
We are blessed with a baby boy on the 3rd of August.
Congrats to all 3 of you Arnab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I dont think generalizations are true. A friend's son likes to play with the dolls & stuff, while his daughter is far more out-going
I dont know about toys yet. But my son is not boisterous, time will tell how our daughter would behave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
However, Why formula feed for a 20 day old? Any particular indication, or just as a pacifier?
sometimes, doctors prescribe or recommend formula for week/ month old infants to supplement breastmilk with essential minerals etc. this is usually subjective and depends on the mothers health after the delivery too.

by the way, if you didnt know already it is recommended not to give water to infants before 6 months at least and also no cow milk before 1 year of age at least (too much protein, if I remember correctly). no gold dust, honey etc at birth.

For anyone who is expecting or has children, I recommend creating a schedule on www.babycenter.com
based on the expected delivery date (or birthdate as may be the case), regular updates can be configured to reach your email account.
there are also numerous articles and posts from parents across the globe.
Old 6th September 2012, 20:12   #727
Senior - BHPian

@ Selfdrive

Invaluable words!!

The point mentioned is exactly the case where in feeding at all times is not possible/inadequate.

However, water(after consulting with the Doc) can rarely be given in cases of prolonged hiccups.

As for honey, it is a home remedy to ensure clear passing of motions in case of constipation.

Though the administration of honey should be miniscule.

Other certain home remedies learned in the hot pressing of cloth with ajwain(heated on a tawa) near the naval area to relieve gas pain.

And yes, the babycentre web site is outstanding.

Additionally a must read book during and post pregnancy is " The What to Expect Series" by Heidi Murkoff.

It is very informative and detailed.
Old 6th September 2012, 22:04   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
sometimes, doctors prescribe or recommend formula for week/ month old infants to supplement breastmilk with essential minerals etc. this is usually subjective and depends on the mothers health after the delivery too.
Actually, a baby that is exclusively breast-fed for the first six months will have a very good immune system & will be healthy too.
(Selfdrive, this is only supplementing what you said )
Old 6th September 2012, 22:12   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Actually, a baby that is exclusively breast-fed for the first six months will have a very good immune system & will be healthy too.
(Selfdrive, this is only supplementing what you said )
Agreed! let me clarify formula is usually prescribed when the breast milk is not regularly available in the quantity or quality as required for the baby.

of course in this age some moms also need to work, so it may not be possible for such a long duration. Not judging anyone, just stating that their circumstances dont permit it.
so its formula to the rescue!
Old 7th September 2012, 13:05   #730
BHPian

My son, Nimai, turned 4 on sept 4th. I just cant believe time flies so fast. It was as yesterday when he was born and i took him in my hands.

Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-100_2621.jpg

Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-100_2639.jpg

This was a blog entry I made on his birth. It was termed " Salute to Motherhood" . Would value your comments ! ( Sorry , if its too long , and mods, pls feel free to remove/delete if not found suitable/long)

This is for all the fathers and mothers to be, for you to appreciate the true beauty and warmth of a new baby coming into this world, and a true appreciation of the motherhood.

It was a culmination of 37 weeks of excitement, pain and restlessness. Kavitha got admitted on 4th Sept, at 0630 am in Apollo hospital, Bangalore..During her last delivery, we had a traumatic experience of a normal delivery getting converted in to a C section after Ammu’s head came out. So we were prepared for a C section from day one. The delivery was postponed to 1030 am as some emergency cases had come up. The wait outside the labor room is painful. I managed to go in and check on Kavitha few times, as Ammu got close to the nurses (the Mallu factor helps always !!!). The doctor came and said, that she is being shifted to the Operation Theatre at 1st floor, and we accompanied her. I went in to meet the doctor, and asked her, if I can join Kavi in the Labor room. She wanted me to be very sure, and checked if I’m comfortable with seeing blood and the procedure as such. Seeing my confidence, she agreed and sent me to the change room. My Mom wasn’t aware that I’m going in. She was kind of shocked, that I took a last minute call. I went in then change room, and a technician explained me what I’m supposed to do. I then realized, why the doctor was reassuring. In the previous surgery, the husband ran out of the Operation theatre and fainted outside. So the doctor was not ready for a second chance. I was asked to wait in the room, as they prepared her for the surgery . The technician told me that the monitors are being installed and then she would be given a local anesthesia.

I was called into the labor room after few minutes, and the doctors had started the procedure. I was made to sit beside Kavitha, and a screen was put to conceal the surgery. I held on to her hand and sat there. I could see through the screen as the lights on the other side were bright. I could see doctor cutting open the wound and I knew it’s anytime now. Kavi was calm and I think my presence was a surprising reassurance for her too.The doctor told us that when the baby is to be taken out, they would be pushing her stomach hard, to push the baby out. After a minute they asked me to stand up, and I saw the amazing site of my baby’s head coming out of Kavi. They pushed and in a flash the baby was out. The doctor said, “ It’s a Boy “ … Kavi squeezed my hand in rejoice. I almost had a tear down my eye. The doctor cut the placenta and showed me the baby.A nurse took the baby and asked me to follow him. We went into another room, and he started cleaning the baby up. The pediatrician joined him. He put a tube in the baby’s nostrils and squeezed out some fluid with a syringe. Once they cleaned him they wrapped him in a towel, and we took him back to the labor room. He showed the baby to Kavi and she gave him the first kiss.I went back, changed and ran to give the news to my Mom, her mom and Ammu who were waiting outside. My respect and love for my mother has grown many folds, seeing my baby come out of my wife. My respect for mother hood had grown many folds.I urge all would be fathers to join your spouse and see this amazing heart touching sight. I urge all would be mothers to ensure your spouse joins you.This is one day of your life, you will remember for ever.
Old 7th September 2012, 13:50   #731
Senior - BHPian

Great account there Manoj! A good one for me especially as I was refused entry in the delivery room area by the doctor both times.

I find the best part about motherhood is the undivided attention she can provide to both kids. For me, it impossible to multitask with two kids, especially while one of them is still an infant. maybe thats why mothers are special
Old 7th September 2012, 13:56   #732
BHPian

Great one Manoj. It reminded me of my daughter's birth 2 years back. I was allowed into the OT along with my wife and was also allowed to carry a camera with me. I have captured all the wonderful moments in pictures. ( I wish I had spend some money and bought a cam-corder).
Old 7th September 2012, 14:05   #733
BHPian

My Son just turned 1 yr today, i am not sure how the time is passing and wish him a Happy birthday.
Attached Thumbnails
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-img_5822.jpg  

Old 7th September 2012, 15:55   #734
Senior - BHPian

^^ Cute pic! He certainly seems to be outgrowing the carrier!
Old 7th September 2012, 23:13   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

@ Geo Ipe.

The Formula is needed to act as a pacifier.

The feeling of cloud 9 actually cant be explained though!!
The point I was trying to make has been made by selfdrive.
Please do not make it a habit to feed the baby via a bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

by the way, if you didnt know already it is recommended not to give water to infants before 6 months at least and also no cow milk before 1 year of age at least (too much protein, if I remember correctly). no gold dust, honey etc at birth.
You're right about the protein content. There are quite a lot of other differeneces too.
The bottomline being - Use supplement feeds with caution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks