Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 18:32   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Yup, I didn't verify the specs, that was just an example. But any carrier can be dangerous if not used with common sense.
That is right. I have used the carrier in your first pic and i found that i still needed to support the baby's head. And it can not be used for long either since it severely restricts baby's movements.
Old 14th September 2011, 23:14   #437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Age for admission into 1st standard is 5 years as on 1st June (or is it July?) of the year. (different matter that most ICSE / CBSE "elite" schools insist on completion of 6 years).
Putting him in nursery now means he is not eligible for admission into 1st after UKG. He can feel bad if his classmates in UKG go on to 1st standard, and he has to repeat UKG.
This was my fear, and confirmed with concurrent advice from the two teachers.
Most schools say that its a Govt of India rule is that the child should have completed 6 to enter I Std.
I dont know if its a govt rule? Even I initially thought that one should have completed 5 to enter Std I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Nursery = LKG + UKG

But different schools have different norms.
Some have Pre Nursery, Nursery and then UKG
Some have Pre Nursery, LKG and UKG
If you look at 6+ as Std I, then 3 years of Mont system (3+, 4+ 5+)
or 2 years of KG (4+ 5+). At least this how I read the puzzle, as pet most schools.
Old 14th September 2011, 23:42   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you look at 6+ as Std I, then 3 years of Mont system (3+, 4+ 5+)
or 2 years of KG (4+ 5+). At least this how I read the puzzle, as pet most schools.
It seems that schools are taking the 3+ from Montessori system and combining it with 4+ and 5+ of Kindergarten. More money for them after all!
Old 15th September 2011, 00:18   #439
Senior - BHPian

I assume this is lower age limit. Just wondering, if somebody decides to start schooling an year or two later than this, do you foresee a problem?
Old 15th September 2011, 06:50   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
I assume this is lower age limit. Just wondering, if somebody decides to start schooling an year or two later than this, do you foresee a problem?
I think in some countries the minimum age limit is actually four. So they probably think that thats the right age to start schooling.

In India, if you start a year later, the only disadvantage i can think of is the social interaction that the child will miss out on. Also, the child will feel singled out due to age maybe.

It can work the other way around too. Being older in the group can make the child a natural leader in the class.

Its way too complicated, bringing up a kid!
Old 15th September 2011, 07:14   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It seems that schools are taking the 3+ from Montessori system and combining it with 4+ and 5+ of Kindergarten. More money for them after all!
That may be true. Because I am not aware if a school has separate Mont and KG system and classes for these kids are held separately. It ideally should be, but I am not sure.

The systems here looks like may be just the front end to an admission process.

As long as the school is "decent" (now thats a vague qualification) and the child does not have to travel one hour in the bus/car to and fro; it would be good.

Most importantly the child should look forward to going to school after he/she wakes up in the morning!
Old 15th September 2011, 07:56   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its way too complicated, bringing up a kid!
It's only as complicated as you make it. You can choose to spend thousands and 6 hrs a day on the kid trying to stuff all kinds of knowledge, arts and sports, or you can leave them alone with minimal supply of good books and good company. It's not going to make a lot of difference in the long run.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:09   #443
Senior - BHPian

^Are you hinting towards some 'alternative' education? I mean, not sending someone in a typical modern school but teaching at home or some private institute?

Here is the admission criteria for Kendriya Vidyalaya (CBSE)
http://kvsangathan.nic.in/GeneralDoc...uide-lines.doc
Extract...
A. A child must be 5 years old on 31st March in the academic year in which admission is being sought for admission to class I and for admission to class II the age must be 6 years. For class III age must be 7 years and for class IV age must be 8 years as on 31st March, 2011. For remaining classes, the eligible age will be calculated as on 30th September of the Academic year.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:13   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's only as complicated as you make it. You can choose to spend thousands and 6 hrs a day on the kid trying to stuff all kinds of knowledge, arts and sports, or you can leave them alone with minimal supply of good books and good company. It's not going to make a lot of difference in the long run.
True vivek. In fact I think what is more important is to enjoy the time at the relevant age. After all, the things that a child says at 2+ will not be repeated when he is 3+ or 4+ and so on.

Due to some circumstances, I was working away from home and I missed by son terribly. However what that did was get me to appreciate the dedicated half hour I spend with him every day doing what he wants to do. We might end up doing nothing, but at least we are doing it together. Also if it is feasible, try to have a meal together each day and try to cook a meal together once in a while (break from the usual routine and the food tastes different too)

One more thing that I find useful during tantrums is to get down to the child's height and talk to them looking in their eyes. This way, they listen to what you say. They may not obey it and do what you say, but they definitely listen 1:1

Last edited by selfdrive : 15th September 2011 at 11:14.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 18:08   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^Are you hinting towards some 'alternative' education? I mean, not sending someone in a typical modern school but teaching at home or some private institute?

Here is the admission criteria for Kendriya Vidyalaya (CBSE)
http://kvsangathan.nic.in/GeneralDoc...uide-lines.doc
Extract...
A. A child must be 5 years old on 31st March in the academic year in which admission is being sought for admission to class I and for admission to class II the age must be 6 years. For class III age must be 7 years and for class IV age must be 8 years as on 31st March, 2011. For remaining classes, the eligible age will be calculated as on 30th September of the Academic year.
No I am not hinting towards alternative education. the experience of school and school-mates is invaluable. I am questioning when does it have to start. a 3 yr old child doesn't "need" schooling in my view. Parents may "want" it, and it may also show minor improvement (and some drawbacks as well). But in long run it will not make a lot of difference.

Going back to what you posted, I am convinced it's lower age limit. However, I am also convinced there will be idiots in school administration who would interpret it in all possible ways. And even if it is not, I am happy to say it starts schooling at 5.
Old 15th September 2011, 18:27   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That may be true. Because I am not aware if a school has separate Mont and KG system and classes for these kids are held separately. It ideally should be, but I am not sure.
None of the schools that i checked out for my kid said that they follow Mont system. They said they follow a "hybrid" version, that is mix of everything.

Quote:
For pre-nursery kids (I am somewhat confused with terminology, i mean before LKG class) their school activities involve mainly singing, playing, painting etc etc. The biggest disadvantage that i can see with not sending them to school is the social interaction that they will miss out on. How big a disadvantage that is, i am not sure.
Old 15th September 2011, 18:36   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For pre-nursery kids (I am somewhat confused with terminology, i mean before LKG class) their school activities involve mainly singing, playing, painting etc etc. The biggest disadvantage that i can see with not sending them to school is the social interaction that they will miss out on. How big a disadvantage that is, i am not sure.
There is no right or wrong choice here.

Personally, I think a big factor in that is what are the alternatives. I am sending my kids to pre school at 3 because we don't have any extended family here in states (that should have been my disclaimer to start with). If we had, I wouldn't have sent them. Sending to school is probably better than him having to deal with mommy alone 24 hrs.

Keep in mind that when kids start going to school, usually they start getting sick until they develop immunity to common microbes. The later you start, the better IMHO.
Old 15th September 2011, 18:41   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Keep in mind that when kids start going to school, usually they start getting sick until they develop immunity to common microbes. The later you start, the better IMHO.
Oh my kid is already through with that phase thanks to the creche she goes to for a couple of hours every day
Old 15th September 2011, 22:26   #449
BHPian

Quote:

The systems here looks like may be just the front end to an admission process.

As long as the school is "decent" (now thats a vague qualification) and the child does not have to travel one hour in the bus/car to and fro; it would be good.

Most importantly the child should look forward to going to school after he/she wakes up in the morning!
To my knowledge, National Public School has separate Mont and KG system.
The Mont kids join at 2.5 years and the KG children at 4.

Headstart is Mont only.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:55   #450
Team-BHP Support

This is such a lovely video of a Father surprising his son.

I am sure every dad here can relate to this feeling.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed