76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 83 6.65%
Voters: 1248. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2023, 20:33   #5236
Team-BHP Support

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Does anyone have experience with REITs? Is it an instrument worth exploring?
Definitely worth exploring the world of in REITs & INVITs!

PROS:

- It is a different asset class altogether. It has elements of stocks/bonds/real estate rolled into one.
- Behaves like a different asset in terms of price performance. Even if NIFTY & other stocks fall in value, this one is more or less stable.
- Minimal speculator/trader interest. Most investors are mutual funds/DIIs/FIIs. All of them are long term investors, which explains why volatility is low.
- Dividend yield has been around 8% to 10% pa historically
- Like a stock, REIT/INVIT's revenues and profits can grow over the years.
- With respect to REITs, land appreciates in value over time, and a REIT can decide to develop more offices on the land and sell of the land parcels for a gain.
- Stable revenues & profits. Even during COVID, IT companies continued to hold on to the office space, despite all employees working from home.

CONS:

- Since inception, appreciation has been zero so far.
- They were appreciating before, but some new rule regarding taxation of gains/divdends put cold water over investor interest. And all of them crashed.
- All REITs listed in India generate rental income from office spaces. And 60% of that is from IT companies. So any slowdown in this space can affect revenues/profits.
- Both REITs & INVITs own depeciating assets (buildings/roads/power transmision infra)

Last edited by SmartCat : 18th August 2023 at 20:35.
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 20:45   #5237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Dividend yield has been around 8% to 10% pa historically
Thank you SmartCat, the entire post is very helpful.

One doubt - I checked for Embassy, Mindspace and Brookfield. The dividend yields are ranging between 6-7%. Am I missing something here?
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 13:44   #5238
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone,

Looking for suggestions for shares to invest in. I generally invest long term but open to short term ideas as well. Recently heard about this company- Shivalik Bimetal. Will this be a good investment? How about IDFC First bank and Ujjivan Small Finance?

Thanks.

Last edited by AYP : 1st September 2023 at 13:58.
Old 2nd September 2023, 10:22   #5239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Hello everyone,

Looking for suggestions for shares to invest in. I generally invest long term but open to short term ideas as well. Recently heard about this company- Shivalik Bimetal. Will this be a good investment? How about IDFC First bank and Ujjivan Small Finance?

Thanks.
Top level

Ujjivan has not the great quality of returned ROC 4.9%. Pricing is ok. If they are doing something to raise their game, worth a punt
IDFC - bit lack lustre - not a growth stock
Shivalik - a little expensive but good financial performance
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:47   #5240
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone sold unlisted shares ? If yes, which site and what was your experience ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 12:07   #5241
Senior - BHPian

What does "stock name here" is under surveillance measure (Encumbrance of promoters or promoter group shareholding more than 50 percentage) message mean? I have seen this once or twice on the Zerodha app.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 25th September 2023 at 12:31.
Old 25th September 2023, 13:22   #5242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
What does "stock name here" is under surveillance measure (Encumbrance of promoters or promoter group shareholding more than 50 percentage) message mean? I have seen this once or twice on the Zerodha app.
Quote:
A stock may be under surveillance for high promoter encumbrance when the promoters have pledged a significant portion of their shares as collateral for loans or debts, which can create a potential risk for the company and its shareholders.
https://faq-neo.kotaksecurities.com/...er-encumbrance
Old 27th September 2023, 11:58   #5243
BHPian

Came across this thread while I was contemplating a career change to trading in a few years. Want to ask the experienced members how viable it is to live off the earnings from trading? (Spouse has a permanent job)
I don't intend to invest my capital straight away in trading and understand there is a lot to learn and have been reading a few books by Peter Lynch and John J. Murphy in addition to materials from SEBI (NISM) on stock markets
Now my question to the experienced members are
How can I structure my learning process?
How is the video series by Anton Kreil? (https://itpm.com/education/). His team appears to know what they are doing but their courses cost a bomb.
Are there any alternative courses that I can take up?
Raul258 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 12:19   #5244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
Came across this thread while I was contemplating a career change to trading in a few years.
Sounds like a bad idea!

Quote:
Want to ask the experienced members how viable it is to live off the earnings from trading?
No clear answer. Depends on how well capitalized you are, knowledge levels and knack of investing/trading. It is equivalent to asking "How viable is it to setup and live off a Bhel Puri/Bakery/Restuarant/Ice cream business".

Quote:
(Spouse has a permanent job)
Spouse having a job is a good thing. Additional must haves:

- No loans (home/car etc)
- Your own House/Apartment
- Large savings/networth (in financial assets, excluding real estate)

Remember that investing increases your networth and trading gives you cash flows. And the returns will probably be in 20% pa over the long term. There are traders/investors who might have generated larger returns but they are outliers. Do keep this in mind when dabbling with investing/trading.

Quote:
I don't intend to invest my capital straight away in trading and understand there is a lot to learn and have been reading a few books by Peter Lynch and John J. Murphy in addition to materials from SEBI (NISM) on stock markets
Recommended reading list for investments:

One Up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch
The Thoughtful Investor by Basant Maheshwari
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham

Quote:
For Investing:

- Read above books
- Ask questions here

For Trading:

- Check Youtube videos
- Ask questions on this thread (The Technical Analysis, Futures & Options Thread)

Quote:
How is the video series by Anton Kreil? (https://itpm.com/education/). His team appears to know what they are doing but their courses cost a bomb. Are there any alternative courses that I can take up?
It is useless. Avoid paying money for trading courses.

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th September 2023 at 13:49.
SmartCat is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 12:23   #5245
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any alternative courses that I can take up?
Trading is an art, and each artist will paint a different style of artwork.
You need to find what trading style suits you, whether intra day, positional, STBT/BTST, IPO's.
Also what segment you are comfortable with Futures/Options/Equity/Commodity/Forex or a mix.
Until you find answers to these questions, no point in going after any course/training, don't try to fit in someone else's shoes, find your style & segment and dive deep into it. Do note that use the courses as an addon to your findings, people take courses assuming its a holy grail (which does not exist), if it were, nobody would share it. One has to burn the midnight oil to find their own holy grail. I've done countless courses, most of them had what comes out from a bull's back side.

I had a friend who is extremely aggressive in trading, he only does intra day aggressively as he says "I do not want to carry any overnight position, want to sleep peacefully", once I asked him to do an Iron Fly (Monthly expiry, had to hold it for about 22-25 days), he got extremely restless on the second day & exit the position on the 4th day, reason, it was not his trading style & he wanted quick money. He quit his job & decided to give trading 6 months before going back to corporate world, his trading gave him 50k on 1 day & took 70k from his account on the next day, on the third day it would be negative 21 & on the fourth it would be positive 10. 2 months later he tells me he has found a better paying job. I'm not in touch with him anymore, but I could understand that aggressiveness doesn't work, in the stock market you are trying to fight a war with people who have sharp brains and have loads of heavy resources (in the form of money), aggressiveness does not work, one has to play smart.

I hope these pointers help you out.

Last edited by montsa007 : 27th September 2023 at 12:25.
montsa007 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 13:05   #5246
BHPian

Quote:
Adding my 2 bits, this is with respect to trading:

To live off trading the most important thing one needs is a trade plan.
A trade plan broadly has 2 parts to it: A setup which helps to take entry and 2nd is the risk management which helps you to exit the trade.

Risk management will help you to understand what the maximum loss is and what is the maximum profit you need.

Now you need to work on a trade setup that makes you profitable.
It is a simple mathematical formula involving 2 factors, your success rate (% trades that gives you profit) and risk:reward ratio.
If your success rate is 50%, you need a trade setup that has risk:reward ratio of 1:2 to be break even (no loss) trader. Once you reach no loss point, next step is to become profitable either by improving your success rate or by holding to your wins to achieve 1:2.5 or 1:3 kind of risk to reward.

If you can work this out while being employed, your transition will be easy. Else make sure having no income till you get your trade plan in place is fine with you.

Another trick you can use is going for intraday trades with very little risk per trade. Intraday trades help you to get more trades in short time helping you to learn trading quickly. But make sure your risk management is well thought out so that learning does not become expensive.
I am suggesting intraday stock trade because it is the cheapest way to learn, you can buy 1 stock or say take as low as 100 Rs risk per trade and learn.

I am not saying this is the only way, because in stock market any method will work. Eventually you will figure out the best way that suits your mindset. Till then have a very strong risk management in place so that when you have everything in place you have enough capital to take advantage of it.

Another important thing for a trader is having understanding of oneself. So also try to read about human psychology. Here you will be your own boss and hence you will tempted at every step to break your own rules as there is no to question. Learning human behavior will help you in this journey.

Biggest factor in your transition from being employed to being a full time trader would be how you adjust from having a steady income to irregular income. And how comfortable are you to go through the learning process with no income.
thirugata is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 15:13   #5247
BHPian

Quote:
Came across this thread while I was contemplating a career change to trading in a few years.
Remember the following quotes (naturally, none of them mine)

The markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

The secret to be a successful trader is to have a system and the discipline to adhere to it.

Remember two rules:
Rule 1 - Don't lose the Capital
Rule 2 - Don't forget rule no.1

The only people who make money for sure in trading are the brokers

Good luck & Best wishes
Capri89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 15:57   #5248
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wanted to check if anyone has suggestions for youtube gurus/stock advisors? I know its not advisable but its for my Dad. He prefers listening to these guys in his free time. He is leading a retired life and stock market is only way he keeps himself busy. He listens to Dr Rakesh Bansal, Stock 247 and Share Academy. Let me know if anyone has a recommendation. He prefers this over watching OTT! what to do!! Its his money and his time!!
Old 27th September 2023, 16:37   #5249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Wanted to check if anyone has suggestions for Youtube gurus/stock advisors? I know its not advisable but its for my Dad. He prefers listening to these guys in his free time...
I follow the below 2 (they run their own investment firms, not exactly youtube gurus), they don't actively push stocks but discuss motivations and reasoning (still they do give a nudge to some of their favorites)

- Capital Mind Podcast
- Marcellus Investments
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 17:42   #5250
Senior - BHPian

My recipe for anyone who wants to start their trading journey. Please note that like any other skill, it takes time passion determination to succeed, there is no shortcut to success.

Start with list of trading books to start in the recommended order -
  1. How I made 2,000,000$ in the Stock Market by Sir Nicolas Darvas (the first book you must read)
  2. New trader Rich trader by Steve Burns
  3. Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets by Sir Stan Weinstein
  4. How to make money in Stocks by Sir William O' Neil
  5. Trade Like a Stock Market Wizard by Mark Minervini
  6. Think and Trade Like a Champion by Mark Minervini
  7. Trading in the zone by Mark Douglas
  8. Trade Like an O'Neil Disciple and In the trading cockpit with the O'Neil disciples by Gil Morales
  9. Market Wizard Series by Sir Jack D. Schwager
  10. Momentum Masters : A Roundtable Interview With Super Traders

Apart from that, follow the following Youtube channels -
https://www.youtube.com/@TraderLion
https://www.youtube.com/@richardmoglen

Obviously, nothing beats practical experience.
I would say once you have finished the first 5 books in the above list and gone through a few videos, get started with a small capital.
Always maintain a trade journal where you track and record all your trades and most importantly, the lessons learnt - this will help you the most in your journey.

Good luck!!
adimicra is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks