26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 570 44.50%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 209 16.32%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 92 7.18%
Voters: 1281. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2023, 14:25   #5221
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

I read ITC declared a special dividend of Rs 2.50 per share but have not received any such amount. Did anyone receive it? I received only the interim and final dividends.
Old 7th July 2023, 15:06   #5222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I read ITC declared a special dividend of Rs 2.50 per share but have not received any such amount. Did anyone receive it? I received only the interim and final dividends.
Now that you mention it, I checked my statement since March 1st - and do not see the special dividend credited.
Last received dividend was an amount of rs6 / share.
Old 7th July 2023, 15:25   #5223
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Now that you mention it, I checked my statement since March 1st - and do not see the special dividend credited.
Last received dividend was an amount of rs6 / share.
Trading View shows the payment date as 14/08/2023 for the final as well as special dividend of ITC Ltd.

Do you play the stock market-screenshot-20230707-152433.png
Sherlocked is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 15:44   #5224
BHPian

Quote:
Special and and final dividends (Total of 9.5 per share) are yet to credit. Usually it takes 30 to 45 days from ex date. Are you sure you received final dividend of 6.75 per share for last FY.

Last edited by rx100 : 7th July 2023 at 15:54.
rx100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 17:56   #5225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx100 View Post
Special and and final dividends (Total of 9.5 per share) are yet to credit.
What you say is correct, just checked my bank statement. It is yet to be credited. I have mistakenly quoted the figures from my Form 26 AS.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 21:28   #5226
Senior - BHPian

Can one pick up some Infosys shares at current prices for long term investment?
Old 13th July 2023, 12:17   #5227
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Can one pick up some Infosys shares at current prices for long term investment?
The whole Gamut of IT stocks (Read large caps) are available at mouthwatering prices at the moment. I'm buying them in small quantities (buying on dips), hoping that it’s not another IT bubble burst. Fingers crossed.
Old 14th July 2023, 09:16   #5228
BHPian

Quote:
Can one pick up some Infosys shares at current prices for long-term investment?
It seems so, I added a few at 1285 a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: Anyone has a view on what is happening with Latentview Analytics? I am holding some at 550 levels for more than a year and its hovering below 400 ever since.

Last edited by avingodb : 14th July 2023 at 09:18.
Old 14th July 2023, 12:00   #5229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
It seems so, I added a few at 1285 a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: Anyone has a view on what is happening with Latentview Analytics? I am holding some at 550 levels for more than a year and its hovering below 400 ever since.
Even I have been holding it around 450. It shows momentum till 370-390 and then flattens out. In between went as low as ~325. Its a good stock for long term.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 14th July 2023 at 12:04.
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 22:17   #5230
BHPian

Can anyone share their stock trading journey? It will be motivating as well as we can learn a thing or two. What are your biggest learnings and mistakes?
M_Poweredd_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 11:10   #5231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Poweredd_ View Post
Can anyone share their stock trading journey? It will be motivating as well as we can learn a thing or two. What are your biggest learnings and mistakes?
My learnings:

1) learning not get emotionally attached to the outcome of trades
2) learning to lose less when things don't go your way

Mistake:

Making the trade rules and not sticking to it.

Hope that helps, good luck with your trading journey.
thirugata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 11:46   #5232
BANNED

Quote:
- Invest in blue-chip companies for low downside risk (even though upside is limited most of the time)
- Think long term and have patience
- If too risk averse, alternatively you can invest in a fund which tracks the index (nifty50 etc.)
- Don't see portfolio daily

Last edited by graaja : 16th August 2023 at 12:21. Reason: Minor typo, unnecessary use of Caps
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 16:32   #5233
BHPian

Quote:
I cannot consider myself a successfull investor or trader with long term report card as I have been somewhat active in trading/investing over the last 6 years only, even if I was into research in financial markets for more than a decade. Doing analysis and implementing the analysis require quite different skill set, with the implementation part more about psychology than skill. On the whole I am profitable and here are few things that helped me after initial hiccups.

The first thing to note is there is no one correct or best way to approach market, whether it is investing/trading or if it is Technical Analysis (TA) or Fundamental analysis (FA). Also note that my approach to both trading and investing is biased towards Technical Analysis even if I have decent knowledge of FA.

One should explore their psychology before deciding what to become, i.e., whether to be an investor or trader or which side one is naturally biased based on their psychology. Because humans inherently have some traits which may be more suitable for certain activities. That doesn't mean one cannot learn or practice other things but what comes naturally is less stressfull. I found that I am more comfortable with a mix of swing trades and investing with the mix more biased towards swing trading. I am not that comfortable with regular intraday trading, at least manually. If one has penchant to read and has a larger picture approach with enough patience, they can take to investing easily. Learning skills like reading financial statements or charts etc is easy but changing natural traits is difficult.

Always look at the performance in % and not absolute numbers. Absolute numbers cannot reflect the performance in a meaningful and measurable way.

Once you identify what your major activity is - trading/investing - then look at the skill set required to succeed in that. Basic and simple systems work like charm. Advanced and complex systems add extra edge but should ideally be experimented with after consistent success in implementing the basic things.

Have clear cut rules for what you want to do along with some flexibility. Too rigid or too flexible won't work. Having clear rules for entry, exit, profit booking etc helps in smooth implementation in markets. Take time to figure out the rules, even if it takes 3 or 4 months or even more.

While the outcome of a trade/position is important, why we took that trade/position is probably even more important. As such, at least initially, noting down why we took/exited a trade is very important. Over a period of time one can find a pattern in both profit/loss making positions. The next step would be to analyse where we are succeeding and where we are failing and then looking at steps to reduce the failings. Please note that eliminating loss/risk is impossible. One can only minimise losses.

Whether investing/trading, position sizing is very important. As such whether one makes losses/profits, following proper position sizing is important. If your strategy itself allows for reducing or increasing position sizing based on performance that's fine but randomly changing position sizing isn't ideal.

As a trader it is always better to be with the larger direction even if one misses out on smaller moves that are against the larger trend. Being with the larger trend helps even if we are wrong in timing our entries. That luxury won't be there if we get caught while catching a correction, especially minor ones.

While derivatives trading looks enticing and a become rich quick avenue, the risks are too high, and the evidence out there suggests only few make the cut. So explore things in cash market first and once you achieve some amount of balance in your approach to taking positions, think about derivatives. With the kind of software's now, one can easily experiment with derivatives without actually jumping in with real money. Hone your psychology in cash market while experimenting with derivative strategies on a mock basis. Once you have a strategy and also feel comfortable with profits and losses, then probably dip your feet in derivatives.

Lastly, I personally avoid thinking or tracking markets once they are closed. Too much focus on markets can eventually become stressfull and reduce effectiveness and having a fresh and unbiased view of things. Sometimes we need to look at the markets from a bit farway to see the larger picture.

PS - At times when one feels like experimenting, it is ok to gamble with small amounts on positions just to satisy ourselves. Too much rule based can be boring. So having fun with little amounts once in a while is ok. Like I may have a hunch about something but there is no logical way I can justify it. At such times I just take small position which doesn't impact my overall account irrespective of whether I am correct or wrong.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 16th August 2023 at 16:48.
vamsi.kona is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 14:01   #5234
BHPian

Does anyone have experience with REITs? Is it an instrument worth exploring?

Last edited by warrioraks : 18th August 2023 at 14:04.
Old 18th August 2023, 14:32   #5235
BHPian

Most of my MF funds are in large caps, is it the right time to invest some portion in mid-cap and small-cap mutual funds?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks