Old 1st June 2023, 18:43   #5206
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Not bonus shares.
1:1 for jio financial services
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:07   #5207
BHPian

Coal India Offer for sale is going on for retail investors for today only at floor price of Rs 226. Todays share price is around Rs 231.

Coal india IPO price was Rs 245 in 2010. There has been no splits, bonus or rights issue. Does it make them laggards in this 12 year period ?

Is anyone applying for the OFS?

Last edited by fordday : 2nd June 2023 at 12:07. Reason: edit
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:12   #5208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Coal India Offer for sale is going on for retail investors for today only at floor price of Rs 226. Todays share price is around Rs 231.Coal india IPO price was Rs 245 in 2010. There has been no splits, bonus or rights issue. Does it make them laggards in this 12 year period ?
Most long term investors would have got only 7% to 9% pa returns on Coal India, powered purely by dividends. If investors want higher returns from commodity PSU stocks like Coal India, ONGC, NMDC etc, they should figure out a way to buy low and sell high. These are not 'buy and hold forever' stocks.

I buy low/sell high by maintaining 50/50 debt MF/equity portfolio ratio. People who are familiar with technicals can use 'momentum investing' strategies to buy low/sell high.

Last edited by SmartCat : 2nd June 2023 at 12:15.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:18   #5209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Coal India Offer for sale is going on for retail investors for today only at floor price of Rs 226. Todays share price is around Rs 231.

Coal india IPO price was Rs 245 in 2010. There has been no splits, bonus or rights issue. Does it make them laggards in this 12 year period ?

Is anyone applying for the OFS?
Just checked on bseindia, they did give decent dividends throughout their lifespan, do consider that. Most of it (66%) has been held by promoters itself, followed by DII/HNI at nearly 20% and close to 5% by retail investors.

I'd consider it more as a dividend payer company, imagine how much the promoters would have made in dividends alone vs. how much they'd have lost if the share price went up and company paid no dividends (would have to pay Short Term/Long Term tax on gains + had their holding/controlling power diluted)
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:35   #5210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Is anyone here tracking Marksans Pharma? I added it to the watchlist at about 71 and suddenly it has zoomed to 85 within a week or so. And this is above the medium-term target of about 83.50 given by a couple of research houses.

Will is go closer to or above 100 from here?
Not sure what parameters you use to select stocks.
This stock has doubled in less than a year, so if you do buy for another 15 Rs or 20% move from here, you need to figure out what is the risk you want to take to gain 20%.
Thats how I would look at a stock that has already gone up.
Old 2nd June 2023, 21:40   #5211
BHPian

Gland Pharma seems to be a value buy at the moment. Its almost at 40% discount from their IPO price.

Altough their quarter numbers were down 75%, but they managed to make a profit. The company has never seen a loss quarter and has no debt. The fundamentals seems strong.

Your views @SmartCat on this?
Old 2nd June 2023, 22:58   #5212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Altough their quarter numbers were down 75%, but they managed to make a profit. The company has never seen a loss quarter and has no debt. The fundamentals seems strong. Your views @SmartCat on this?
Agree about strong fundamentals (no debt, good RoE, good sales/profit/bookvalue growth) and valuation (avg PE).

But a stock like Gland Pharma would never show up on my screener because they have never paid dividends while I have set a minimum dividend payout ratio of 20%. For me, min 20% payout of profits as dividends is irrefutable proof that the profits declared as real and not faked. For me, that is a measure of management quality.

However, if you are sure about management quality and ethics, you can go ahead and invest. Do read some brokerage reports of companies to find out more about the last quarter results, expansion plans, future outlook etc. However, take profit estimates mentioned in the report with a dash of salt.
https://trendlyne.com/research-repor...nd-pharma-ltd/

(need to login via Google/Facebook account to access)

Last edited by SmartCat : 2nd June 2023 at 22:59.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 21:12   #5213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I buy low/sell high by maintaining 50/50 debt MF/equity portfolio ratio. People who are familiar with technicals can use 'momentum investing' strategies to buy low/sell high.
Noob question: Does it still make sense to invest in Debt MF after changes in the taxation?
Old 7th June 2023, 21:18   #5214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
Noob question: Does it still make sense to invest in Debt MF after changes in the taxation?
I don't bother much about debt MF taxation. Debt funds have the following advantages over bank or corporate fixed deposits:

- Fast liquidity (T+1 settlement)
- Ability to invest via stock broker
- Availability of different duration bonds
- Availability of higher returns/higher risk options
- Ability to pledge debt MFs to obtain margins for trading in F&O

But if you are interested in the taxation aspects, refer to last 2 or 3 pages of this thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ebt-funds.html (Investing in debt funds)

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th June 2023 at 09:09.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 08:50   #5215
BHPian

Can anybody advise on setting up Alternate Investment Fund with the approval from SEBI?
Old 9th June 2023, 09:31   #5216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun_S View Post
Can anybody advise on setting up Alternate Investment Fund with the approval from SEBI?
You mean like a portfolio management service (PMS)?
Old 9th June 2023, 09:52   #5217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsa007 View Post
As per SEBI, couple of individual users can register a Alternate Investment Fund, through which they can invest in companies like a VC.

Would like to know if anybody has done something like that, or anybody if you know can help on this regard?

Last edited by graaja : 9th June 2023 at 09:57. Reason: Fixing quoted text
Old 9th June 2023, 10:25   #5218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsa007 View Post
AIFs are Indian equivalent of "hedge funds" -> they invest in stocks/bonds/commodities/currencies etc. But unlike mutual funds or PMS, Alternative Investment Funds are allowed to take positions using futures and options.

Minimum investment is Rs. 1 cr.

You can find the list of AIFs here:
https://www.sebi.gov.in/sebiweb/othe...=yes&intmId=16

To invest, google the fund name, go to the website of the fund and contact them.

Quote:
As per SEBI, couple of individual users can register a Alternate Investment Fund, through which they can invest in companies like a VC.
It is rare to find an AIF that invests in unlisted startups, but you might find a few if you look around. If you have a smaller investment capital or want alternatives to AIFs, you could look at websites like:

www.unlistedzone.com
https://app.letsventure.com/join/investor

To find similar websites, google "invest in startups india"

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th June 2023 at 10:29.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 10:41   #5219
BHPian

Quote:

Would like to know if anybody has done something like that, or anybody if you know can help on this regard?
My understanding of PMS is different. Wherein a person collects funds from various people & invests in market on their behalf. He could promise a certain %age returns every month/year (Usually double digits) or people invest based on his skillset/past record.

Don't get me wrong, all the PMS's I've seen ended up bogus/fake where the PMS guy would use investors fund to fill up his pocket. Maybe there's a different side to it as well which I haven't seen.

A friend of mine does Wealth Management, is extremely experienced. Can hook you up with him if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
To invest, google the fund name, go to the website of the fund and contact them.
Well, thanks but I'm happy to manage my own funds , you get skilled up in the process.

Last edited by montsa007 : 9th June 2023 at 10:43.
montsa007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 07:05   #5220
BHPian

Experts - Tata motors has declared a dividend after a decade, I guess. It also has rallied nicely in the current run.

Is there any possibility of bonus/rights issue of shares or listing the EV business in near future?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks