51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 205 16.43%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 83 6.65%
Voters: 1248. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 20:27   #4651
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Do anyone track Shakti pumps?

Stock price moved up from 300 to 700 during the current year.

They are one of the bidders for Govt KUSUM scheme for solar pumps.

Court order cleared the KUSUM scheme to move ahead last week.

They seem to have a fairly long runway ahead especially with the solar pumps going to be the norm now.

PE ratio of 16.4

Their earnings were down in Q1 which is understandable due to lockdowns.

Please share any learnings or analysis. And what would be a good entry point?
fordday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 22:15   #4652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Do anyone track Shakti pumps?

Stock price moved up from 300 to 700 during the current year.
t?
Turnover nearly tripled

Momentum of the stock is slowing. PE is now on the high side. Financially very stable. What concerns me is the price is 22% below 52W high. With a supposedly full order book, points to external stuff like competition, illiquid government !
Old 19th August 2021, 22:26   #4653
Team-BHP Support

Rocket ships like Shakti Pumps can go up 4x but then come crashing down to the ground. It's best to go for smallcaps like this when PE ratio is less than 10 and is offering minimum 2% to 3% dividend yield.

Do you play the stock market-screenshot_2.jpg

Financials are currently OK, but its history is a bit patchy. Invest in Shakti Pumps only if you are a short term "momentum" investor. Longer term investors should wait for better prices/valuation

Last edited by SmartCat : 19th August 2021 at 22:29.
SmartCat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 23:32   #4654
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know what's the real deal with all the YouTube channels by such successful traders?

Many of them post live videos of their trades and also share their analysis, which are sometimes not so off too.

But almost all of them run coaching courses, which aren't cheap by online standards, so I wonder what's the real deal, traders or tutors?

I feel, if I ever become a successful trader, I will be selfish or rather busy earning money and researching on earning more, than to tutor people.

I wonder what kind of cars they own though!
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 00:13   #4655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Does anyone know what's the real deal with all the YouTube channels by such successful traders?
Some are for real, while others are fake.

Quote:
I feel, if I ever become a successful trader, I will be selfish or rather busy earning money and researching on earning more, than to tutor people.
Training/coaching/Youtubing is risk-free income. But with investing or trading, you have to deploy your own capital (which constantly faces risk) to earn returns.

Quote:
I wonder what kind of cars they own though!
Many such trainers show-off their house and cars, to attract starry eyed newbie traders. So all you have to do is check their twitter handle or Youtube channel

What's not clear is how their acquired these assets - via trading income or via training/coaching. Some of them charge Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 8,000 per month. All they need is 100+ subscribers to generate some serious income. Some have 1000+ paid subscribers. Eg:

Do you play the stock market-screenshot_1.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th August 2021 at 00:22.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 00:24   #4656
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Yes, I've seen this guy, he says he makes upwards of 1cr per month.

Ok, another question. In context of smaller investment amounts i.e. less than 1cr, what kind of sustainable return is possible, if you are a good trader?

I understand if you are talking about fund level investment amounts, anything between 10% and 25% is acceptable, but for smaller traders, the return has to be triple digits to get sustainable income/ grow big.

And another question (my curious day!), I understand automated trading isn't completely a clean area for retailers, but I see many selling automated trading software which use broker's APIs thereby eliminating the restriction put by Sebi on pushing automated trades in exchange's systems. Is there any legal clarity on this?
Old 20th August 2021, 00:34   #4657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok, another question. In context of smaller investment amounts i.e. less than 1cr, what kind of sustainable return is possible, if you are a good trader?
There is no proper answer to this question. Higher the risk, higher the returns. Higher the risk, the probability of a trader going bust because of a Black Swan event goes up.

Quote:
And another question (my curious day!), I understand automated trading isn't completely a clean area for retailers, but I see many selling automated trading software which use broker's APIs thereby eliminating the restriction put by Sebi on pushing automated trades in exchange's systems. Is there any legal clarity on this?
For individuals, it is OK to deploy an algo for trading. However, its a grey area for companies to provide automated trading to retailers. There is no clarity from SEBI on this. But there are alteast 20 algo trading companies in India that offer their services to retail investors.

1) Websites like https://tradetron.tech/ skirt around the issue by claiming to just offer a platform/marketplace for algo trades.

2) Then there are websites like https://squareoff.in/ that skirt around legal issues by charging customers for "access to trading bots". That is, for purely legal purposes, they do not claim to be "money managers" - instead, they call themselves providers of automated trading infrastructure/software.
SmartCat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 15:23   #4658
BHPian

I want to invest some money in the US indices. What is better between Motilal Oswal NASDAQ 100 ETF and Motilal Oswal Nasdaq 100 Fund? Basically ETF vs index fund. Which is better?

Want to hold it for long term.
Old 27th August 2021, 17:54   #4659
BHPian

Hi All,

Is there an Android Application or free open source or video tutorials on Stock Market? I have basic knowledge of Stock Market and have traded (burnt) as part of my experience. Since my career and job profile has nothing to do with Stock Market, I like to keep going back to such informations/videos and understand it before I re-enter into investing my hard earned money.

TIA
Old 27th August 2021, 18:27   #4660
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I want to invest some money in the US indices. What is better between Motilal Oswal NASDAQ 100 ETF and Motilal Oswal Nasdaq 100 Fund? Basically ETF vs index fund. Which is better?
It's like asking which is better - Maruti car or Suzuki car? Both the Nasdaq ETF and the Nasdaq fund are exactly the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Is there an Android Application or free open source or video tutorials on Stock Market? I have basic knowledge of Stock Market and have traded (burnt) as part of my experience.
I have heard good things about Rachana Ranade's Youtube channel. She has 2.8 million channel subscribers:
https://www.youtube.com/c/rachanaphadke/featured

Also do check this thread - I have explained how one can pick stocks:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ve-sector.html (Guide: Investing in shares of the automotive sector)

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th August 2021 at 19:13.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 18:34   #4661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Hi All,
Is there an Android Application or free open source or video tutorials on Stock Market?
TIA
You may go through Zerodha Varsity. They have covered almost all. Definitely a good place to start with:

https://zerodha.com/varsity/
K_Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 18:52   #4662
BHPian

Quote:
I might receive a lot of flak for my post.
But in current times, you don't have to be even a half-decent trader to get good returns. See screenshots below. These are the last year returns through instruments which are usually considered highly passive modes of investing.

In essence, these traders are no different from the brand of Youtube auto journalists we see every day. Only 10-20% have quality content. The rest are in a race of self-aggrandizement and sensationalism in order to increase their subscriber base.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you play the stock market-2.png  

Do you play the stock market-1.png  

Last edited by warrioraks : 27th August 2021 at 18:54.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 19:16   #4663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

Want to hold it for long term.
Generally ETF's have a much lower expense ratio than mutual fund, if want to hold on for long term then you can save a good amount on expense ratio. Also the performance will be similar in the long term.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 19:59   #4664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Generally ETF's have a much lower expense ratio than mutual fund, if want to hold on for long term then you can save a good amount on expense ratio. Also the performance will be similar in the long term.
The fund invests in the ETF. There is no separate fund manager. You pay slightly more (expense ratio) in a fund because there are exchange charges, STT charges, SEBI charges etc. But then, when you buy ETF yourself, you have to pay these charges too.

Also, there can also be a difference between published ETF returns and what ETF returns you actually get. That's because of bid/ask spread - the difference between 'bid price' and 'ask price'. If you are investing small amounts, its fine. But if you are investing Rs. 1L plus, you have to use limit orders and hope that the order is filled at that price.

Note that you will face this issue both while buying and selling an ETF. And the spread gets wider when NASDAQ futures is moving about a lot. No such issues with a mutual fund.

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th August 2021 at 20:09.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:26   #4665
BHPian

Is it time to exit the market and harvest the 50% return? I believe even with 10% LTCGT it is still a good deal than go bust when the market pops.
And then start another SIP or equity investment.

Any suggestions experts?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks