51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 209 16.28%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 92 7.17%
Voters: 1284. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2020, 13:47   #4351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkikewl View Post
Have been following the news & stock prices of NTPC from close to a week & based on what I read, it looks to be a good option for long term. Would like to hear from experts before making an investment. If not NTPC any other sector which is reliable for a long term investment is fine for me.
NTPC and other power (most of them) function in a regulated pricing environment. Do I need to say more? If dividend yield at current prices look good to you, go ahead. Capital growth will come only with rise in the market. It will give your portfolio a kind of stability too, in the long term. It wont fall too much. If it does, buy. It wont rise too much, if it does, sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Newbie here never invested in stocks before.
If you want to invest, that is, buy what the money in your hands allows you to, and sell only what you have, please learn about fundamental analysis and also about balance sheet analysis. If needed, do shadow investing. Write down the scrip and transaction price in a price of paper and look at performance after 6 or 9 months.

If you want to live the knife edge world of trading, learn technical analysis. (Not recommended for anybody).

Either way, dont decide on basis of tips.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 15:41   #4352
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
NTPC and other power (most of them) function in a regulated pricing environment. Do I need to say more? If dividend yield at current prices look good to you, go ahead. Capital growth will come only with rise in the market. It will give your portfolio a kind of stability too, in the long term. It wont fall too much. If it does, buy. It wont rise too much, if it does, sell.
Agree to your point. Atleast we can maintain a stable portfolio in 1 particular sector while take risks in other sectors like pharma, automotive, FMCG.

Last edited by venkikewl : 11th July 2020 at 15:42. Reason: recheck
Old 11th July 2020, 15:51   #4353
Senior - BHPian

1. With its monopoly being whisked away due to opening up of the sector for private players, does Coal India still remain a good long term investment choice? What would the effect of Government's intention to raise funds by selling its stake in CIL be on its share price?

2. Any thoughts on the effect of the proposed FPO by YES Bank on its share price? The offer price of ₹12/share is less than 50% of the CMP.

Last edited by dailydriver : 11th July 2020 at 16:09.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 20:00   #4354
Senior - BHPian

I am a total noobie to the Stock market and investing. I have entered the market just recently for the first time - during the last week of March when BSE Sensex was at 25900 or so

I have a question for the experts here - please guide me to the right tool which can match my requirement below:

I'm looking for a portal or a tool that I can use to track my investments (I'm sure there are several), but is there one which can give me the below visualization?

Do you play the stock market-untitled.png

I hope the wireframe is self-explanatory. Otherwise here's a small explanation:

This timeline view shows me the share price variation of all the companies that I have invested in. There is a master time-window selector with which I am able to select time windows ranging several years, 1 year, 6 months, 1 month, 5 days, and 1 day. When this selection is made, all the graphs should load according to this time-window selection.

In each graph, I wish to see when all I have invested and sold shares, indicating how many shares and their total value for each transaction as indicated by the red and green lines. (By red line I meant a 'buy', and with a green line, I meant a 'sell'). It would be also worthwhile to show my current holding details with each company, as the current total value and number of shares, along with the individual graphs.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th July 2020 at 20:08.
Old 11th July 2020, 21:14   #4355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I .
Bloomberg has the best tools/apps/free/paid portfolio.
Not in touch lately, also not completely sure of BSE/NSE status on Bloomberg. Create a free login & play around with their free services.
Old 17th July 2020, 13:45   #4356
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, what's your opinion on Yes Bank FPO? Is it worth applying? 1 lot or 15 lots?
Old 17th July 2020, 14:37   #4357
Senior - BHPian

In case of Yes Bank, you can sell only 25% of your total investment in the first 3 years. Before applying please check this. This is applicable if you buy the shares in the secondary market so not sure about FPO.

Last edited by Pancham : 17th July 2020 at 14:38.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 20:43   #4358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
In case of Yes Bank, you can sell only 25% of your total investment in the first 3 years. Before applying please check this. This is applicable if you buy the shares in the secondary market so not sure about FPO.
There is no lock-in clause for FPO investors. Also, there is no lock-in for anybody who bought shares after March 13.
greenoval is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 22:25   #4359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Hi guys, what's your opinion on Yes Bank FPO? Is it worth applying? 1 lot or 15 lots?
If you know a thing or two about fundamentals of Yes Bank and want to hold the stock for many years, then you should consider applying for the FPO.

But if you are thinking about making a quick buck by buying at FPO price of Rs. 13 and selling at current market price is Rs. 19, then you are in for a surprise. It is very likely that by the time Yes Bank shares are allotted to you, it would be trading at much lower price.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 15:49   #4360
BHPian

Do you play the stock market-img_20200726_154312.jpg
https://twitter.com/Nithin0dha/statu...459780609?s=09

Although I am in favour of reducing excessive leverage, but this news that we'll have to wait for T+2 days to buy another stock(s) is not encouraging.

The new margin rules will also affect BTST trades from August 1st 2020.
https://tradingqna.com/t/you-cant-no...r-2-days/85380

Last edited by Sherlocked : 26th July 2020 at 15:59.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 09:48   #4361
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I am on the lookout for the portals / platforms which provide me quick overview of the company scripts. Have tried following options so far (the free account to get the gist of it):

1. Screener
2. Trendlyne
3. TickerTape
4. Simply Wall St

So far I like the 4th option. The others do not provide me the overview of stock price valuation, board members experience etc. Has anyone used any other platform apart from these and has found it to be immensely helpful in viewing the fundamental aspects of company in 1 go ?
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 09:37   #4362
Distinguished - BHPian

Attaching screenshots as you need to be an ET prime member to read the full story.

With the shares hitting an all time high in the past few days despite the core refining business struggling. Will be an interesting watch tomorrow when they release the Q1 numbers

Do you play the stock market-a2ffb502e9c84c41b686f1e014f88e88.png

Do you play the stock market-21fd3cbc0aac41109c302b1a9debf061.png
SnS_12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 10:54   #4363
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Where do you see Voda Idea heading from here? What can the outcomes be from next hearing on August 10th? Any logical pointers would be so much welcome! Can Idea really shutdown, rather would govt allow Idea to shut shop?

Instead of losing all the money, don't you think govt. will accept their demand of 15 years to payback the dues (as a last resort maybe)? I don't understand business/economics deeply but my limited knowledge tells me Idea is here to stay. Especially when they have already paid some amounts of dues.

Would love to have others' views on this.
Mynameis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 16:56   #4364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
Hi everyone,

Where do you see Voda Idea heading from here? What can the outcomes be from next hearing on August 10th? Any logical pointers would be so much welcome! Can Idea really shutdown, rather would govt allow Idea to shut shop?

Instead of losing all the money, don't you think govt. will accept their demand of 15 years to payback the dues (as a last resort maybe)? I don't understand business/economics deeply but my limited knowledge tells me Idea is here to stay. Especially when they have already paid some amounts of dues.

Would love to have others' views on this.
Well, firstly, its not the Government but the Supreme court, who will decide on the next hearing on August 10th (hopefully they will give their final verdict on that day) on the duration to be granted to pay back the AGR dues.

The government has already agreed for a 20 year timeline, but SC thought its too long a duration.

On this, both Vodafone and Airtel have requested for a minimum 15 years, whereas the Government still maintain their 20 year stand.

Coming to the question, whether Vodafone will stick around or shut shop then you have to see their approach towards the AGR issue. Unlike Airtel they are no longer contesting the amount of AGR been calculated and are asking for 15 year period to pay it and have already paid around 8k crore of the total dues pending till date. As per my thinking, a company which had plans to shut shop would have never made such a payment in the first place.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the business is been run by Vodafone and the Birla group. These are not shady companies, which will just shut shop and disappear without a fight (hopefully )

Vodafone, need capital infusion asap and there is a lot of potential in this business, which is the reason why you are seeing heavy investments in JIO.

The market is also big enough for all three JIO, Airtel and Vodafone to coexist.

If the court gives a 10 year period instead of 15, then it would be a problem. But considering the government itself is maintaining their stand for a 20 year period, I doubt the court would decide otherwise.

Post that you may hear some news on fresh investments in Airtel and Vodafone by the American Tech giants who missed the bus (or avoided) in JIO.

Finally, the key for the industries survival is to improve earnings and a tariff increase is definitely on the cards. JIO can no longer offer dirt cheap pricing as it did to capture the market share and more than Vodafone and Airtel it needs a tariff increase to improve its earning since the refinery business is not doing so well, which was the cash cow all this while.
SnS_12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 22:30   #4365
BHPian

EV beneficiaries

Which companies in India may benefit mostly out of the switch to EVs? I am not really looking for vehicle manufacturers in India, but more of the following:
a) Charging station accessories manufacturer
b) Charging station operators
c) Batteries or other part OEMs for EVs
etc.?
skumare is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks