76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 83 6.65%
Voters: 1248. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2016, 11:55   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Moneylife also sells stock letters consisting their stock recommendations. Any idea about how good are these recommendations ?
Nothing generally wrong with those recommendations but such stock tip letters are not ram baan of sorts.

Buy a well chosen portfolio, regularly invest and hold would be a good advice - if you have the bandwidth to track not just the markets but also the fundamentals of the companies you invest in so you can occasionally rebalance your portfolio.

So except for one company - a small cap from the tvs group calls Sundaram brake linings / sundrmbrak that I have a decent awareness of, and shares of my employer who is a big MNC, I don't invest personally in any other direct equities, just chosen mutual funds.
Old 10th September 2016, 15:35   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejavuTrip View Post
Please read this document
Thanks, they had squared off the trades per the end of day prices
Old 11th September 2016, 00:08   #3348
Distinguished - BHPian

BSE files papers with SEBI for their IPO. More details in the below link. So, the price of the shares are going to fluctuate with the index movement?

What's everyone's take on buying this share?

https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/bs...135541454.html
Old 11th September 2016, 13:47   #3349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
BSE files papers with SEBI for their IPO. More details in the below link. So, the price of the shares are going to fluctuate with the index movement?

What's everyone's take on buying this share?

https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/bs...135541454.html
I'll answer the first bit. Sensex is an index that represents the market capitalization of the Top 30 companies in the country based on their weightage in the index. You have other indices Sensex Top 100,Mid-Cap etc.The stock exchange's value does not change based on the value of these indices. The source of revenue and profits for the exchange is not the change in the value of the indices. The exchange makes money from the registered brokers,listed companies (listing fee) etc. That is going to determine the outlook for the stock price and not the change in the index value.

Coming to the question of buying this share, more analysis will be needed. My sincere suggestion would be to stick to mutual funds if one does not have any idea about shares.
Old 11th September 2016, 19:35   #3350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
BSE files papers with SEBI for their IPO. More details in the below link. So, the price of the shares are going to fluctuate with the index movement? What's everyone's take on buying this share?
Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) is a company too - Like Reliance, TCS, L&T etc. When you buy stocks that are listed on BSE via your broker, BSE makes money. Like any other company - BSE too has revenues, expenses and profits.

Now, this BSE (company) is being listed on BSE and NSE - as a stock. So whether BSE stock goes or down depends on bullishness and bearishness of investors on the prospects of Bombay Stock Exchange as a company.

Whether to buy into this IPO or not - you need to look into financials of BSE as a company. And the valuations (PE ratio for example) of the the company. However, do note that BSE is constantly losing marketshare to NSE. Most of the trades in cash segment and F&O segment are done via NSE.

Last edited by bblost : 12th September 2016 at 00:03. Reason: as requested
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 12:16   #3351
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
After all these years, I still can't picture her (Ms. Dalal) out of my mind. Here was the person who had exposed the biggest scam in the oldest stock market in Asia, there she was frustrated because she was jobless, dependent and useless, all at the same time. Does anyone from the current generation even know her?
Have read about her, but it surprises me that she was jobless after exposing the Harshad Mehta scam. I assume nothing bigger has ever hit the Indian stock market, right?
Old 14th September 2016, 12:43   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
Have read about her, but it surprises me that she was jobless after exposing the Harshad Mehta scam. I assume nothing bigger has ever hit the Indian stock market, right?
Harshad Mehta was 4000 crore. Jignesh Shah more recently was 5600 crore.

And then those are a drop in the bucket compared to Ramalinga Raju, Sahara, Saradha etc scams but those aren't directly stock market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Losses to PSU Banks balance sheet is a Rs. 400,000 Crore scam (Non-performing assets). Market cap of PSU banks have fallen by Rs. 140,000 Crores.
That is what the Govt keeps using LIC for - to pick up stakes in misfiring PSUs And they want to use the RBI surplus for the same thing (which Rajan opposed), plus also from EPFO.

Gresham's Law is something they never heard of.

http://indianexpress.com/article/bus...nment-2969358/
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53366787.cms

It just says "equities" but as you can see from the example of LIC, State Bank etc - it is going to be a kamadhenu to bail out sinking PSUs.

Last edited by hserus : 14th September 2016 at 12:53.
Old 14th September 2016, 12:48   #3353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
And then those are a drop in the bucket compared to Ramalinga Raju, Sahara, Saradha etc scams but those aren't directly stock market.
Losses to PSU Banks balance sheet is a Rs. 400,000 Crore scam (Non-performing assets). Market cap of PSU banks have fallen by Rs. 140,000 Crores.
Old 16th September 2016, 03:04   #3354
BHPian

Quote:

That is what the Govt keeps using LIC for - to pick up stakes in misfiring PSUs And they want to use the RBI surplus for the same thing (which Rajan opposed), plus also from EPFO.

Gresham's Law is something they never heard of.

http://indianexpress.com/article/bus...nment-2969358/
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53366787.cms

It just says "equities" but as you can see from the example of LIC, State Bank etc - it is going to be a kamadhenu to bail out sinking PSUs.
Satyam scam was 7800 crores, close to the 5600 crores of Jignesh Shah
Old 16th September 2016, 06:50   #3355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Satyam scam was 7800 crores, close to the 5600 crores of Jignesh Shah
Nearly 40% (well, 39.28%) more. And in crores.

Sort of close yes. But with an astronomical amount of difference. Especially as many other newsmaking stock scams between Mehta and Shah have generally been say 400 crores. Essentially alto territory where we're looking at whether a Lamborghini is cheaper than a Ferrari.
Old 16th September 2016, 07:38   #3356
BHPian

Guys Has anyone got MBL infrastructures shares. I feel it is a very undervalued stock right now. PE <5 and P/B<1 . The management has said that they will revoke all the pledged shares by this year end.
Disclaimer- I am invested.
Old 16th September 2016, 14:17   #3357
Team-BHP Support

Strange analogy between automatic/manual transmission and investing in stocks -

Do you play the stock market-20160916.png
Old 16th September 2016, 22:50   #3358
BHPian

Quote:

Not sure if any of you are getting the correct perspective.

Harshad Mehta's scam was H-U-U-U-G-E even for those times, do remember I was making only ₹1,200 a month at the time. A vada-pav from my favorite vendor at Flora Fountain where you had to literally fight others to get one in your hands (You fought others because people came from far and wide for the taste) costed only 75 paise. Don't remember the exact figures, but ₹4,000 crore during whatever was the market cap then could really move the market whichever way you wanted in a way that I doubt can be done any time since then.

I mean in all these times, I am still surprised by the ingenuity and bravado of those like Harshad Mehta and Abdul Telgi. Ramalainga Raju was more like the blind king trying to make his son succeed.

After experiencing the 1992 scam first hand, I actually made a killing by investing in Satyam which I considered as no-big-deal and too-big-to-fail all the way down to ₹15. Be aware that the Satyam scam was revealed by none other than Ramalinga Raju himself, of course only when pushed to a corner.

I have been to Sahara in the early 90's to their office on Barakhamba Road in Delhi. All the guys I spoke to all around back then knew it was a scam and protected by political interests, but I didn't really care because I was trying to sell them my software at the same time as Punjab National Bank next door. I could only sell to PNB, because I never managed to meet the Sahara-shri who would drop in unannounced via helicopter from UP (Lucknow I think).

Since 1992, the only scam that has fazed me honestly is the Coal scam, I mean I never knew one could scam ₹200,000 crores from piss-poor states in India. Seriously makes me wonder, what is a crore these days? Is it the old lakh? (Remember the old movies where they refer a rich guy as a lakhpati?)
Old 16th September 2016, 22:55   #3359
Senior - BHPian

You are right. I remember those days and those salaries quite well.

Adjusting for inflation - yes, Mehta was the granddaddy of most normal corrupt businessman scams, rather than political driven ones.
Old 17th September 2016, 03:29   #3360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Not sure if any of you are getting the correct perspective.

Harshad Mehta's scam was H-U-U-U-G-E even for those times, do remember I was making only ₹1,200 a month at the time. A vada-pav from my favorite vendor at Flora Fountain where you had to literally fight others to get one in your hands (You fought others because people came from far and wide for the taste) costed only 75 paise. Don't remember the exact figures, but ₹4,000 crore during whatever was the market cap then could really move the market whichever way you wanted in a way that I doubt can be done any time since then.

I mean in all these times, I am still surprised by the ingenuity and bravado of those like Harshad Mehta and Abdul Telgi. Ramalainga Raju was more like the blind king trying to make his son succeed.

After experiencing the 1992 scam first hand, I actually made a killing by investing in Satyam which I considered as no-big-deal and too-big-to-fail all the way down to ₹15. Be aware that the Satyam scam was revealed by none other than Ramalinga Raju himself, of course only when pushed to a corner.

I have been to Sahara in the early 90's to their office on Barakhamba Road in Delhi. All the guys I spoke to all around back then knew it was a scam and protected by political interests, but I didn't really care because I was trying to sell them my software at the same time as Punjab National Bank next door. I could only sell to PNB, because I never managed to meet the Sahara-shri who would drop in unannounced via helicopter from UP (Lucknow I think).

Since 1992, the only scam that has fazed me honestly is the Coal scam, I mean I never knew one could scam ₹200,000 crores from piss-poor states in India. Seriously makes me wonder, what is a crore these days? Is it the old lakh? (Remember the old movies where they refer a rich guy as a lakhpati?)
Thanks for the context, nowwhat!
I am looking for midcap stocks which have the potential to breakout to the next league. Any suggestions? I am a believer in fundamental analysis.
I am a voracious reader. So, please suggest what all I should know to get an handle on the market?
I missed Page Industries, TTK Prestige, Jubilant, MRF etc despite tracking them closely. They were all based on the Indian domestic consumption story.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks