26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 570 44.50%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 209 16.32%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 92 7.18%
Voters: 1281. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2015, 17:49   #3076
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

I would recommend Wonder La Holidays. Their Hyderabad park will open in 2016 and they are able to grow really well. I believe they are planning a new amusement park as well. The stock has done really well the past 2 weeks. Have been an investor in it since its IPO and have been SIPing it ever since.

It might come down to 300 levels thanks to the recent surge. Use those levels to get into it.
Old 1st November 2015, 13:54   #3077
BHPian

I think I need to learn to work out with fundamental or any other methods for short term investment.

Most of the long term investment have given good returns as I am aware how to read the financials and understand the current situation of the Company and its industry. So I am reasonably comfortable with the long term investment strategy.

But the short term play is the problem. I invested in South Indian bank 2.5-3 months back at 27/- per share waiting to make a quick money at 2-3/- per share and exit at 30/- or so. But that call proved wrong and today the share is trading at around 20/-. I don't normally exit when the share has hit its stop loss. I hold on for some time to at least break even.

Recently got into future trade calls.I did not choose anything on my own but did chose Havells as suggested by my Broker.

Short the future at 241/- in the first week of Oct expecting the same to go further down so that I can buy the same at 230/- or lower. But ever since I sold the stock, it went up in the market rally upto 256/- and stood strong and stable even during the last week of market downfall. Finally I had to close the deal due to expiry and finally bought Havells at 252 and booked a loss of Rs. 11K.

So what is fundamentally going wrong. Can someone suggest me a good book or any online site which can teach me all this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st November 2015, 18:26   #3078
BHPian

For short term I would suggest you have a Look at the monthly or weekly charts of the stock and invest in the direction of the visual trend i.e. If the visual trend is down then look at shorting and when the visual trend is up look at buying. Never go against the trend . Also when buying look at price close to weekly support level😀. About futures no idea. Will leave it to experts .
Old 2nd November 2015, 14:29   #3079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
But the short term play is the problem. ......

So what is fundamentally going wrong. Can someone suggest me a good book or any online site which can teach me all this.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know if anybody can give a 100% accurate answer for this. That person would then be minting money like no other.

(Here the assumption is that you never go wrong and never suffer a loss.)

And if there is a method to the madness, why would someone disclose it off so easily?
Old 2nd November 2015, 19:36   #3080
vsh
BHPian

Hi rki2007

short term trading is indeed very tricky and demands much more. Its a professional game and you need to have systems and tools for it. You have to decide whether you trade on news or on technicals. Understand the technicals and develop your rules for the game ie how you enter and exit. Risk control is paramount. First you can start by controlling risk ie sticking to your stop losses. It hurts, but i can assure you this is a must in short term trading.

Happy trading
Old 2nd November 2015, 22:15   #3081
BHPian

I saw that the Cafe Coffee Day (CCD) stock was down 17%! Bad day for those who subscribed to the IPO. It will be interesting to see how the stock performs tomorrow!

One question - A few years back, some one told me that only companies which record profit in 3 consecutive years are allowed to do an IPO. But then CCD has been in loss for the last year - is it that the rules have changed or there never was such a rule?
Old 4th November 2015, 02:34   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I think I need to learn to work out with fundamental or any other methods for short term investment.

Most of the long term investment have given good returns as I am aware how to read the financials and understand the current situation of the Company and its industry. So I am reasonably comfortable with the long term investment strategy.

But the short term play is the problem. I invested in South Indian bank 2.5-3 months back at 27/- per share waiting to make a quick money at 2-3/- per share and exit at 30/- or so. But that call proved wrong and today the share is trading at around 20/-. I don't normally exit when the share has hit its stop loss. I hold on for some time to at least break even.

Recently got into future trade calls.I did not choose anything on my own but did chose Havells as suggested by my Broker.

Short the future at 241/- in the first week of Oct expecting the same to go further down so that I can buy the same at 230/- or lower. But ever since I sold the stock, it went up in the market rally upto 256/- and stood strong and stable even during the last week of market downfall. Finally I had to close the deal due to expiry and finally bought Havells at 252 and booked a loss of Rs. 11K.

Thanks in advance.
I am surprised to read how a long term investor with good understanding of financials and industry would even try to go for a short-term investment. in my view, short-term investment is an antithesis and a synonym of a gamble.

I must say that with your understanding of industry that a company is in, plus the financial health of the company would give you an insight to how the movements look like in the coming time. Profitability, P/E and the resultant price on increased earnings. And an understanding of the psychology of mass markets should help.

Fundamentally, you are absolutely correct in the long term approach with understanding of the company. I would highly recommend you to read Benjamin Graham's 'The Intelligent Investor', a book that Warren Buffett has praised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I saw that the Cafe Coffee Day (CCD) stock was down 17%! Bad day for those who subscribed to the IPO. It will be interesting to see how the stock performs tomorrow!

One question - A few years back, some one told me that only companies which record profit in 3 consecutive years are allowed to do an IPO. But then CCD has been in loss for the last year - is it that the rules have changed or there never was such a rule?
It is best to stay away from these loss making companies! You never know if there is another Kingfisher Air or Koutons Retail about to go into history book...

I believe there was never such a rule in the first place. Else, regular and predictably loss making companies like Tata Teleservices, Kingfisher Air, many others in retail would never made it to the bourses. However, I do not know what the exact rule book of the BSE/NSE says, I am speculating based on these past companies that were/are listed.
Old 4th November 2015, 19:51   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
I am surprised to read how a long term investor with good understanding of financials and industry would even try to go for a short-term investment. in my view, short-term investment is an antithesis and a synonym of a gamble.

I must say that with your understanding of industry that a company is in, plus the financial health of the company would give you an insight to how the movements look like in the coming time. Profitability, P/E and the resultant price on increased earnings. And an understanding of the psychology of mass markets should help.

Fundamentally, you are absolutely correct in the long term approach with understanding of the company. I would highly recommend you to read Benjamin Graham's 'The Intelligent Investor', a book that Warren Buffett has praised.
Thanks for the suggesting a good book.

In terms of long term investments vs Short term investments, I really don't see any specific reason as to why a long term investor should not trade in short term.

Sometimes a long term target can be met by a stock in short term itself, so there is really no point in holding the stock for a longer period where the cycle keeps repeating.
Old 10th November 2015, 19:56   #3084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm planning to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Same here, just worried a bit when seeing how Jet airways tumbled down just after launch. Hope it wont repeat in Indigos case.
Hope you guys and others who were interested invested in it. Do not know about the long term but as of now the stock has offered good listing gains IndiGo parent InterGlobe Aviation gains 14.7% on listing day

I share the same view which was aired by some fellow members that largely the airline sector has not been profitable (though we still have airlines operating, maybe with a view that in the longer run them being a necessity in today's age, they would indeed break even) and hence had not invested in this IPO.

for the folks who invested, do you plan to hold or have you taken partial/complete profits off the table on listing day?

Cheers,
S
Old 11th November 2015, 10:19   #3085
BANNED

Does anyone know where to buy Indian Bonds online ?
Old 11th November 2015, 18:35   #3086
J.Ravi

Bought the following scrips in today's Muhurat trading just a few minutes back:

50 Axis Bank @ 479.95 & 480.00

50 ICICI Bank @ 264.60 & 264.65

50 State Bank @ 243.50

50 Tata Motors @ 411.70

Old 11th November 2015, 19:13   #3087
Senior - BHPian

Ravi sir, Hope Tata motors become multi bagger for you in few years
Old 12th November 2015, 12:14   #3088
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Hope Tata motors become multi bagger for you in few years
Alteady, I have shares of Tata Motors; only adding up now. All my investments are meant for long-term. I am neither a day-trader, nor a short-term investor.

Old 12th November 2015, 22:38   #3089
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Does anyone know where to buy Indian Bonds online ?
Contact your stock broker, you can buy and hold it in your demat account.
Old 15th November 2015, 19:50   #3090
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Hope you guys and others who were interested invested in it. Do not know about the long term but as of now the stock has offered good listing gains
Hahaha, you bet I did! Made a tidy sum too.

In my circle, I'm the only one who bought their shares. Everyone was against it, but I just believed in the airline. Happy customers, great management, profitable - looked like a no brainer to me. India is always going to need a good airline or two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks