76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 83 6.65%
Voters: 1248. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 16:46   #2746
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Not sure home much impact it will have on ITC.
[/url]
ITC dropped some 6% the day the government said it would ban the sale of loose cigarettes and raise the age limit to 25, hence my post.
Old 12th January 2015, 16:56   #2747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Okay after a bit of research I have shortlisted ITC and HDFC bank to split my investment. Is it the right choice? and should I wait for a correction or buy right away.Experts plz advice
You may check HUL as well
Old 12th January 2015, 21:07   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Where can I find a list of stocks in descending order of returns for the last 15 years?
Motilal Oswal has published a report on stocks that have given 100x return in last 20 years. Check their website for the PDF.

Also Moneylife magazine has given returns of top 500 stocks over last 10 years. I subscribe to their paper magazine and read it in that.

Let us know if these can help figure out the stocks that will give good returns for next 10 years
Old 13th January 2015, 23:07   #2749
BHPian

ITC and HDFC Bank are high quality stocks. If you are looking for investing for 10-15 years, I wouldn't bother about trying to wait for a 3-5% lower price, (if and when it comes) and would go ahead and invest at current levels.

A suggestion made earlier about investing a good equity fund is a very sensible one. Will give you peace of mind around having professionals manage your money. I would pick a HDFC Top 200 fund or a Franklin Prima Fund.

Happy investing !
Old 14th January 2015, 00:22   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
ITC and HDFC Bank are high quality stocks. If you are looking for investing for 10-15 years, I wouldn't bother about trying to wait for a 3-5% lower price, (if and when it comes) and would go ahead and invest at current levels.

A suggestion made earlier about investing a good equity fund is a very sensible one. Will give you peace of mind around having professionals manage your money. I would pick a HDFC Top 200 fund or a Franklin Prima Fund.

Happy investing !
Hey government is thinking of banning lose cigarettes all together. Due to market sentiments, ITC will fall by quite a bit when this is announced, buy it that time IMO. Just a suggestion.
Old 14th January 2015, 13:07   #2751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post

Happy investing !
HDFC Bank is good, no doubt. But ITC cannot be termed as a safe stock any day. You never know what will happen to tobacco industries and the Govt move on it. Sometimes ITC performs and most of the time it falls and climbs. So it is better to avoid it.

If long term investment is considered then, SBI, Bank of Baroda, Infosys, HCL Tech, Tech Mahindra, TCS, Hero Moto Corp and some pharma stocks like Auro Pharma, Dr Reddy can be considered.

These are safe bets any day.

Last edited by rki2007 : 14th January 2015 at 13:09.
Old 14th January 2015, 13:24   #2752
Senior - BHPian

A conservative Indian. Voted for FDs as of now.

I would like to learn more about stock markets. I am a total newbie in this world, so any tips, pointers for starters will be much appreciated.
Old 14th January 2015, 16:34   #2753
BHPian

Since I am considering HDFC bank,dont want any other stock from the banking space. I studied the motilal oswal report and it seems Asian Paints and Sun pharma are also amongst the most consistent long term performers. HDFC bank and ITC are also there along with, Kotak,Axis,Infy,TCS,M&M etc.

Last edited by inder : 14th January 2015 at 16:36.
Old 15th January 2015, 14:31   #2754
BHPian

RBI Guv surprises market with a rate cut before the actual policy date of Feb 3. Seems to inspire confidence that the battle against inflation may have been won - and a rate reduction cycle is around the corner, so long as crude oil prices stay moderate/ low.

This along with a widely anticipated, reform-oriented budget should bring more money into the markets. And if the global markets don't melt down further, I'd expect about a 10% upside to the markets with the Nifty touching 9000 or so in the next 2-3 months.

Good sectors to invest in are the cyclicals - banks, autos, infra & capital goods companies for the next 2-3 years.

The big risk is a global financial meltdown due to the large drop in crude prices or an event risk in India. Else, happy investing !
Old 17th January 2015, 21:28   #2755
BANNED

Quote:
Okay after a bit of research I have shortlisted ITC and HDFC bank to split my investment. Is it the right choice? and should I wait for a correction or buy right away.Experts plz advice
Have both. ITC is low to negative beta, slow to move either way and often moves against the market. Also have few peanuts in both HDFC cos.

Quote:
Since I am considering HDFC bank,dont want any other stock from the banking space. I studied the motilal oswal report and it seems Asian Paints and Sun pharma are also amongst the most consistent long term performers. HDFC bank and ITC are also there along... .
Have alll. Regret not having more of AP and the housing behemoths. If considering Sun pharma, consider Ranbaxy instead, since they are set to merge. Ratio os 10 Ranbaxy for 8 sun. Do your math. I hold both and when feeling like having a sun bath,which is rare, buy Ranbaxy.

I use research reports only for shortlist and do my own research. Have been researching for close to 30 years and investing for only 8.
Old 20th January 2015, 14:25   #2756
BHPian

Hi,

A talk by Pat Dorsey on "moats"

Quite interesting.

Cheers

Vindy
Old 20th January 2015, 17:10   #2757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi,

A talk by Pat Dorsey on "moats"
...Vindy
Nice one.

Can experts comment on or analyze Arrow Coated Products Limited?

This company stock has gone up 27 to 500+ in just one year.

What is the valuation of this stock?
Old 30th January 2015, 10:37   #2758
J.Ravi

Anybody bidding for Coal India shares in OFS? CMP is ₹ 363+. The minimum floor price is ₹ 358 less 5% discount for retail investors. I am thinking of bidding at the minimum floor price. Lemme see.

Old 30th January 2015, 10:43   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Anybody bidding for Coal India shares in OFS? CMP is ₹ 363+. The minimum floor price is ₹ 358 less 5% discount for retail investors. I am thinking of bidding at the minimum floor price. Lemme see.
Just now placed an order for 340@358. There would be a discount of 5% for retail, but am not sure would be allocated the bid quantity. I would like to hold it for long term.
Old 30th January 2015, 11:06   #2760
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Just now placed an order for 340@358.
I understand that I cannot bid below ₹ 358 [source: money control and FAQ of Kotak Securities]. Discount will be given to the retail investors at the time of allotment, if alloted, and the balance money will be refunded to the investor. Any bid less than the minimum floor price will be rejected. So, I am thinking of applying at ₹ 358.

Most Viewed