26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 558 44.71%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 205 16.43%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 83 6.65%
Voters: 1248. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 12:52   #2461
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

I never knew stocks would be discussed on T-BHP ;-)

I do invest in stocks but very minimal as I prefer the MF route as just can't track the stocks.

I am very bullish on Sona Koyo as they seem to be having a near monopoly on Steering systems

And with the automotive sector looking up given the Mgmt team I am planning to stay invested.

Comments and insights are welcome

Thanks

-Sateesh
Old 30th July 2014, 13:46   #2462
Senior - BHPian

Check out Petronet LNG for really short term. Its a good buy this price ( 183 arounds) for a 10 to 15 rupee gain in a few days. Results are on the 4th of August.
Old 3rd August 2014, 19:12   #2463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
I am going to Chennai for Igarashi Motors AGM on 30th, another promising story.
Hi VindyWheels, any update on the Igarashi Motors AGM on 30th June. The price of Igarashi crashed and came back to 170 ish last week. Seems like results of Igarashi were not as expected.
Old 3rd August 2014, 19:19   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Check out Petronet LNG for really short term.
Should be good for long term also, unless reliance and other players pump up the domestic gas volumes significantly.
Old 3rd August 2014, 20:06   #2465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Should be good for long term also, unless reliance and other players pump up the domestic gas volumes significantly.
Yes, could be good for long term too, but in holding for long term, one should always capitalize the fluctuations in the market. For example. NALCO, It went down to 49, buy it, it went to 63, sell it, again wait for it to go down to lower levels to buy it, then again sell it when it touches a high. That way, you have made double the money than what you would have if you would have just kept holding it for that stipulated time.

Reliance sounds like a very good long term stock though.

Watch out for Petronet Tomorrow, result time !
Old 4th August 2014, 10:06   #2466
Senior - BHPian

A gradual 5% or so correction may be on the cards.
Old 4th August 2014, 12:20   #2467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Yes, could be good for long term too, but in holding for long term, one should always capitalize the fluctuations in the market. For example. NALCO, It went down to 49, buy it, it went to 63, sell it, again wait for it to go down to lower levels to buy it, then again sell it when it touches a high. !
That sounds good, but how do you manage the complications with respect to the capital gains and including them in the IT returns?
Do you rely on the statement by your demat account provider?
Old 4th August 2014, 12:55   #2468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
That sounds good, but how do you manage the complications with respect to the capital gains and including them in the IT returns?
Do you rely on the statement by your demat account provider?
I haven't got to that stage yet as I have recently started investing. Will cross the bridge when it come
Old 4th August 2014, 18:56   #2469
Senior - BHPian

@humyum; The broker provides a statement. In any case if it is over a year, and subject to STT then Capital Gains in nil!
Old 5th August 2014, 12:02   #2470
Senior - BHPian

@VindyWheels - Could you please share your views on Bannari Amman Spinning Mills? It is coimbatore based textile company. We are using some of their products like QuickDry sheets and pretty impressed with the quality, so thought of checking about the manufacturer.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:10   #2471

Here's a quick question to all the stock pickers out here:

What is your own expectation of returns from the market over the long term (say 7 years plus) and how much return more the market would you like to have our portfolio achieve?

With the above question as a backdrop, how many stocks do you have in your portfolio, and what is the overall portfolio style (focused--10 percent or more to top holdings--or well-diversified--30-50 stocks with not too much weightage to top holdings?)
Old 5th August 2014, 18:31   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazimk24 View Post

What is your own expectation of returns from the market over the long term (say 7 years plus) and how much return more the market would you like to have our portfolio achieve?

With the above question as a backdrop, how many stocks do you have in your portfolio, and what is the overall portfolio style (focused--10 percent or more to top holdings--or well-diversified--30-50 stocks with not too much weightage to top holdings?)
For me, if money is doubled every three years, then that is excellent return on investment. At the moment, mutual funds are showing around 25-30% returns annual but that is due to the bull run.

So, expecting 25% annual growth per year is excellent performance.

My portfolio is very small and percentage wise, it is less than 5% of my investment. However, I intend to put in more money every year in the stock market.
Old 5th August 2014, 20:22   #2473
BHPian

Quote:

Good question! Over a 7 year period, assuming it would cover a bull and bear market cycle, I would expect an average return of 15-20 %.

I really don't trust myself with stock picking, so would prefer a diversified portfolio to cover my risk.
Old 5th August 2014, 22:58   #2474
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My portfolio is very small and percentage wise, it is less than 5% of my investment. However, I intend to put in more money every year in the stock market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post

I really don't trust myself with stock picking, so would prefer a diversified portfolio to cover my risk.
Don't you think setting expectations for 7 years is a bit too long. In my opinion, it is possible to have an idea about a business for maximum of 1-2 years in the future - that too I think is difficult. I prefer to have investment horizons of about 1 year. I know it is not a rule as such but this is how I try to think about my investments.
Old 5th August 2014, 23:32   #2475
BHPian

Quote:
I would be happy with 25%+ CAGR for a 5+ year term.

I have around 15 stocks, out of which 5 of them are core holdings and the rest, I would be getting in and out based on the valuation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks