Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Who will win the EURO 2008 ?
Germany 26 63.41%
Russia 4 9.76%
Spain 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 10:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

After Slaying Italy and that too 3-0 the Dutch seem to be a clear favorites and France looked damn less than ordinary.
Old 10th June 2008, 11:24   #47
BHPian

Best game so far!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
And as I expected a draw in the other game. Romania actually looked a bit more slower than the French - and that surprised me !
Yeah, seemed like Les Bleus started in first gear, and could not find another gear at all. They looked jaded, slow and painfully reluctant to attack. While Romania can be forgiven for looking for a draw, this is a big blow to France's chances in the tournament. They would need to lift their game tremendously if they have to progress.

The Dutch looked superb, though, in probably the best game of the tourney so far, didn't they? First goal was a tad fortuitous, but they looked fast and threatening, and the intent was there. Didn't miss Seedorf, or Robben at all. More power to them. Italy looked a tad bereft of ideas, and the defence, while solid, looked to lack a bit of coordination in front of Buffon. My prediction is that Italy goes out, along with either Romania or France. The fate will be decided in the next round of matches, specially France Vs Romania. Look forward to seeing Spain today, hope they play positive football.
Old 10th June 2008, 11:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday's match (Italy v Holland) showed that apart from skills, you need a bit of luck too!

Firstly, the 1st goal by Nistelrooy was a clear off-side goal, but the side-referree was dreaming I guess!

Then in the 2nd half, a barrage of shots by Del Peirro, Pirlo etc missed the post by a whisker, also the gaint Luca Toni missed a sitter!

Hope Italy regroups and comes back stronger in the next games with some lady luck, they have a good chance to qualify since France & Romania looked ordinary yesterday.
Old 10th June 2008, 11:35   #49
Team-BHP Support

I am shocked at Italy's defeat by the Dutch. The Dutch played a superb attacking game, and were quick on the counter attacks.

Italy started slow, and by the time they got into the groove, it was little too late.
Old 10th June 2008, 12:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

Seemed like italian defence was really bad after cannovaro left it. They didnt have luck on their side but i really wsh they do come back as france never usually performs well in the euro
Old 10th June 2008, 12:15   #51
BHPian

Oops!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
specially France Vs Romania.

Oops!!! France V Netherlands of course!!!
Old 10th June 2008, 14:28   #52
BHPian

The Group of Death seems to be getting its victims. Italy are a very strong side and to lose 0-3 is a shocker! The Dutch would be delighted. Is this their Euro, remains to be seen! But the intent is there for sure.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Yesterday's match (Italy v Holland) showed that apart from skills, you need a bit of luck too!

Firstly, the 1st goal by Nistelrooy was a clear off-side goal, but the side-referree was dreaming I guess!
Guess what? The first goal was legal!
For explanation, here is the news report from the Times Online, UK.

Beaten Italy forced to contemplate injustices | Euro 2008 - Times Online

Read the first three paragraphs.
The Offside rule in just utter chaos now.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j View Post
The Offside rule in just utter chaos now.
Interesting reading. Offside rule has always been the LBW of soccer!! Adds to the spice, though.

Typically in soccer, a team that starts brilliantly never wins it. Hope N'lands change it.
Old 10th June 2008, 16:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

@sidharth_j am stunned!!! Seriously never knew it
Old 10th June 2008, 16:53   #56
BHPian

The France - Romania game was a typical Italia 90 type game,what say wanderlust ?
Both teams looked sceptical, afraid of trying new things.
Makelele was simply superb, ably supported by Toulalan.
The french youngsters Benzema and Nasri have great future ahead.
Ribery, for me was a huge letdown.
At the last world cup he was being touted as the next "Zidane".
Maybe I am expecting too much, but he looked jaded throughout the game.

Italia - Nederlands. just saw the first half. had to get up for work next morning.
For Italy, losing Cannavaro just before the start of the tournament has hit them really bad. I also thought, Pirlo should have played in front of Ambrosini and Gattuso.
RVN should have scored when he was one-on-one with Buffon, If RVN had gone to ground on that tackle, the ref would have definitely pointed to the penalty spot.
Anyways, he got the first goal, offside or not. But we've seen these things happen earlier. Schneider, Van Der Vaart, Kuyt and Bronckhorst ran the Italians ragged.
The second goal was started by Bronckhorst when he cleared of the line.
A fine counter attack, finished superbly by Schneider.

Luca Toni failed to hold on to the chances he had.
The Dutch defensive midfield of De Jong and the tall lanky player whose name I can't seem to recollect were absolutely spot on.
It's going to be a uphill task for Italy from now on, with no Maldini, Nesta and now Cannavaro in defense. I am doubtful if they can win a game let alone go to the second round. I could be wrong though, these guys are the world campions.

My 2 pence, waiting for the games tonight.

Go Espana go......
Old 10th June 2008, 17:27   #57
BANNED

That offside rule is utter ********. what were they thinking?
Old 11th June 2008, 12:22   #58
BHPian

Spain 4-Russia 1. Even though Russia ended up on the losing side,
they were a revelation. Kudos to Gus Hiddink. There was definitely a purpose in their movements althought the final touch was lacking. Can't single out a player for praise all of them were equally good and obviously their names are mighty confusing.
Spain, my favourites for this Euro seemed impressive while attacking but the defence I must say is suspect. Whatever happens Spain will score goals but will also let in some. The defense was caught out of position many a times.The usual suspects like Puyol, Villa, Ramos, Silva, Iniesta, Xavi were good but Senna was a revelation for me, a really good defensive midfielder. anybody knows which club he plays for ?
Spain should progress to the next round IF they can score more goals than they let in. Russia will be a team to watch out for Sweden and Greece.

Sweden 2 - Greece 0, It seemed like Greece were weighed down with the crown that they won the last time around. They have the Temperament, but this team isn't gifted or talented like the other teams. They strive on teamwork and mostly score goals on swift counter attacks. Sweden playing with an aging team and some youngsters played a tough game. Svensson in the midfield was impressive, Ibrahamovich, Ljungberg and Larrson were good upfront.
Although I saw the first half only, in my mind this was a one goal game.
The opportunistic strike by the Inter man was the seperator and Greece were mighty unlucky to let in the second.

This group should make for interesting viewing, especially if you like flowing football.
Spain and Sweden should go through, but I think we'll see the beautiful game much more in this group than the others.

Czech take on Portugal tonight. Looking forward to it.
Should be a good game, my prediction is for 1-1 draw.
Old 11th June 2008, 14:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Oops!!! France V Netherlands of course!!!
One of the finalist of last WC will be out in the 1st stage itself.
France dint help themselves either by playing dull draw.

Infact it was so boring that their match made me sleep and i missed next match between Italy and NL.

Quote:
That offside rule is utter ********. what were they thinking?
They should now do away with offside rule (as in Hocky) as their are fewer goals being scored except few matches.this will make the game even faster and their wont be any controversy.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 11th June 2008 at 14:13.
Old 11th June 2008, 14:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Well the sweden greece match was not great but for the second goal which was absolutely brilliant.

Spain seriously has big holes in their defence and if they want to be known as title challengers. But great attack by them. After long time i am enjoying the field goals

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks