Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2024, 11:09   #391
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru International Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Saw this early today and makes KIAL management look even more silly now.

Albeit, I do feel some steps should be taken to ease the pressure at the pick-up points during peak times. It is a fact that many drivers including white-board vehicles and cabbies (private ones) misuse the system by parking for unreasonable periods, double/triple parking their vehicles with zero courtesy to others, behaving very aggressively with KIAL staff and generally creating a nuisance by honking etc.

Creates a terrible image for incoming passengers especially foreign tourists .

A timed pickup is fair I feel although the 'penalty' needs to be more reasonable. Nearly all the major airports have it, I don't see why KIAL cannot institute the same.
I am fine with having a charge but that should be for overstaying and not just regular dropping/picking up passengers. If a cab/private vehicle enters and exits within 15-20 min, there should be no charge.

I am not sure where they will put the entry and exit gates. But from the Kempegowda statue round about to the pickup point and back, it will easily take 10 min. There is no way anyone will complete that circuit in 7 min even in off peak hours.

The other aspect is safe driving. With the rush to avoid ( or save ) the charges, drivers would drive rashly to get to the exit causing more problems.
Old 21st May 2024, 11:30   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
If a cab/private vehicle enters and exits within 15-20 min, there should be no charge.

I am not sure where they will put the entry and exit gates.
Not personally seen but I am guessing gates must be located at the current pick-up lane entry and exit only, just as they are at other major domestic airports.

15-20 minutes will cause mayhem! 7-10 minutes is more than enough in my humble opinion.
Old 21st May 2024, 11:52   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Not personally seen but I am guessing gates must be located at the current pick-up lane entry and exit only, just as they are at other major domestic airports.

15-20 minutes will cause mayhem! 7-10 minutes is more than enough in my humble opinion.
Is this charge for drop off also or only arrival pick up? Most airports have free 5 mins for drop to both private and commercial vehicles.

Easiest way to implement is Fastag before arrival pick up. Time is captured correctly. If the car exits before the 7 mins, take 0 charge. If not, calculate and charge in the parking charge slab.
Old 21st May 2024, 12:04   #394
BHPian

Every airport charges for pickup, only drop is free. Have always been surprised BLR airport doesn't.

Anyway there is a lot of parking area in the service road between the Airport toll to the Flyover and the road barely has any traffic. The passenger can just call once he/she has picked up the baggage and they can meet just in time at the pickup spot.
Old 21st May 2024, 12:51   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Amid protests, BIAL revokes vehicle entry fee at Bengaluru airport a day after implementation.

Link:
Old 21st May 2024, 13:03   #396
Team-BHP Support

Heathrow charge 5.50 pounds as an airport drop charge.

I do get where BIAL are coming from through. T1 is a mess when people arrive. Parking and walking over is a long trek especially with old people. The problem is that
  1. Everyone congregates at meeting point 5 and 6 (even my wife) since they will not walk further
  2. Cabs brazenly remain unattended
  3. Double parking

Heathrow - most arrivals - people park and walk over to pick people up
Cabs and other pick ups - enter the car park to level 3 whether there is a designated pick-up area and out within minutes.

Most other airports - people park at arrival and meet the person.

Last edited by ajmat : 21st May 2024 at 14:18.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 13:13   #397
BHPian

Will KIAL reduce UDF appropriately if they get this additional revenue as they copy the model from other airports across the world?

or is it just one more source of additional revenue to increase their profit margins, while projecting this as the only way to solve the problems of people squatting in lanes/creating congestion?

Not sure if true today as well, but I recollect that Chandigarh airport gives you a slip at entry, and if you exit within X mins, you don't pay a dime.
Why that scheme won't work here? Rs 150 is pretty steep - even a moderate Rs 50 on exceeding time would have done the job.

Last edited by rjainv : 21st May 2024 at 13:15.
Old 22nd May 2024, 10:12   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
Will KIAL reduce UDF appropriately if they get this additional revenue as they copy the model from other airports across the world?

Not sure if true today as well, but I recollect that Chandigarh airport gives you a slip at entry, and if you exit within X mins, you don't pay a dime.
Why that scheme won't work here? Rs 150 is pretty steep - even a moderate Rs 50 on exceeding time would have done the job.
You have very high hopes expecting a reduction in fees

The slip method is there in many smaller airports and works well. Here the intention is to make money and not reduce congestion. So there is no incentive to make people move quickly.

What is truly needed is different pickup areas for cabs and private vehicles.
Old 24th May 2024, 20:30   #399
BHPian

T2 doesn't have even a single South Indian restaurant in the departure area. All fancy outlets are there with pizza and pasta options! It is not right on the part of AAI to deny us the option of having our local food.
HIGHWAY_PATROL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 20:40   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY_PATROL View Post
T2 doesn't have even a single South Indian restaurant in the departure area. All fancy outlets are there with pizza and pasta options! It is not right on the part of AAI to deny us the option of having our local food.
There is an Adigas inside T2 domestic post security and one in T2 arrivals courtyard

Last edited by ajmat : 24th May 2024 at 21:42.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 21:39   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
There is an Adigas inside T2 domestic post security and one in T2 arrivals courtyard
A dear friend, who is in his 70s, is travelling back to Singapore and is in the international departure area.
He just wanted a dosa or idly to eat before flying out of this sacred land but couldn't.

Wish our administrators and authorities were people centric while making decisions. It is a shame there is no local South Indian food available in T2 international departure.

Last edited by ajmat : 24th May 2024 at 21:43.
HIGHWAY_PATROL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 21:44   #402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Wish our administrators and authorities were people centric while making decisions. It is a shame there is no local South Indian food available in T2 international departure.
It's probably a business decision. The rents over there would result in a Rs 500 idly. Your friend will get his idly in Singapore for sure
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 22:53   #403
BHPian

Quote:
It's probably a business decision. The rents over there would result in a Rs 500 idly. Your friend will get his idly in Singapore for sure
You are right, but everything is expensive there.
My thought was about the availability of simple local food. When passengers are expected to be there for checking in three hours before a flight, and it could easily take another hour before the not-so-fresh food is served inflight, the availability of simple local food should have been thought of.

I don't think it will be a bad business for whoever runs the outlet there for simple local food. Good that atleast T2 domestic departure area has one. I sincerely hope international departure area also gets one soon.
Old 26th May 2024, 15:36   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I sincerely hope international departure area also gets one soon.
Best bet as of now is to drop into T2 Arrivals (kerbside in the pedestrian forecourt) for10 minutes, and pick up some dryish packed food. I believe there are multiple options there.

Will be fresh and can be easily consumed while awaiting takeoff. Not an ideal thing but worse than nothing.

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th May 2024 at 15:38.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 19:19   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stay on extreme right once you pass the CISF checkpoint. Pass the T1 Departure exit, then T1 arrival exit. next will be the exit ramp from the arrival aide.

The road will curve to the left. Stay right and then curves to the right. Soon after that is the T2 Parking
I have to pick up passengers arriving from an international flight at T2, early tomorrow morning. First time for them as well as me. I may need five minutes to arrange the luggage and settle the passengers in the car.

What would be the ideal place for them to wait for me so that I can drive by and pick them up? Or do I need to park my car and get them to come there?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks