Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2005, 21:46   #1
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore to Delhi

I was wondering about doing a road trip from bangalore to delhi spread over a period of 4-5 days. My first option was Bangalore-hyd-nagpur-bhopal which is the same as the train route. But my recent Bangalore Nagpur trip left me cold about roads in Mahrashtra in that region and i am expecting MP to be worst. Moreover i dont think that to be safe too!. So my other option. I have two itenaries in mind.
1. Bangalore-goa, overnight stay there
2. Goa-Ahemdabad(I think its 800Kms so doable in 14 hours.)
Third leg to delhi which i have to work out. I will be travelling with my wife, and plan to have a leasurly trip stopping overnight in big cities.
Has anybody here done such a trip. How are the Bangalore-Goa-Ahemdabad-Kota-Delhi roads. I am taking a round trip coz i dont trust MP and UP as far as safety and roads are concerned. I am hoping Goa-Bombay-Baroda/Ahemdabad are okay .
Any suggestions welcome, even the ones which discourage me from doing so
Old 9th February 2005, 22:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

the highways in gujarat are pretty decent and are mostly dual-carriage due to the golden quadrilateral project.

The roads in MP are non existent, and its not safe to drive at nites in some places. I've been there, i know. So its best to drive through MP during the daytime with minimum stops.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 9th February 2005 at 22:03.
Old 9th February 2005, 22:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

dont do the goa route.
take the NH4 to mumbai.u can do mumbai in 17-18hrs.or else start from bangalore and halt at pune.
then u can do pune-ahmedabad but that will be really hectic as its 3hrs to mumbai to reach the western express highway through ghodbunder road .then it will be abt 10-12 hrs for ahmedabad.so tahts abt 16 hours from pune to ahmedabad.
then u from ahmedabad its about 8 hrs to udaipur.maybe u can do till delhi on the 4th day as u have to go through jaipur.
the delhi -jaipur expressway is a blast.i have done the 220kms in less than 3 hours in an indica.

so take 5 days at the most.
and dont go through MP,UP.in UP many of the roads just do not exist.
Old 10th February 2005, 11:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
dont do the goa route.
take the NH4 to mumbai.u can do mumbai in 17-18hrs.or else start from bangalore and halt at pune.
Hey, since it's a leisure trip, Goa will be far better than Pune. Even Goa-Mumbai will be a fantastic drive. (He will miss on Express highway though). Don't know about MP, never travelled in car there.
Old 10th February 2005, 13:50   #5
BHPian

tsk1979, for the Bangalore Goa route, dont go via Hubli. Hubli Goa is good. Bangalore Hubli, less said the better due to our ex prime ministers 4 lane dream turning into a nightmare for the highway going public.

ALternate routes to goa are via Shimoga (dont know the condition) or via mangalore

via Mangalore is really GOOD.
You do Bangalore - Nelamangala - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Mangalore (total about 300+km)
Mangalore - Udupi - Kunthapur - Bhatkal - Karwar - Margaon - Panjim (about 500- km)

Roads are good prety much throughout. several sections on the Mangalore Bhatkal bit, you drive along the sea.

There is a place called Muruddweshwar about 150km from Mangalore where you could even consider camping for the night. Good sea facing hotels and very reasonable rates.
Old 10th February 2005, 14:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

the bangalore -mumbai via mangalore n goa means u cannot reach mumbai in a single day.
then you will have to bangalore-mangalore -murudeshwar (about 600kms) on the first day.
then u have the option of taking either the NH17 goa road to mumbai or the NH63 via yellapur..

instead of a delhi drive ,u can do the bangalore mumbai bangalore drive..
u can do the bangalore mumbai via mangalore as the NH4 is boring.from mangalore u can do the mumbai drive via goa .and u will definitely enjoy with about 12-13 ghats starting from karwar to mumbai.most of the ghats are downhill.
dont do the NH63(ankola rd) while going as its uphill,so u cannot really fly.

on the return leg u can do via pune ,belgaum and ankola to mangalore.this way ,u can get the expressway,the golden quadrilateral till dharwad and after that everyones favourite NH63 till ankola.

,but i would rather prefer this to a delhi drive as its an absolute bore.
Old 10th February 2005, 15:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey, I stumbled across your website and noticed that you are getting married on 20th Feb Is this trip in connection to that ;-) Enjoy man!
Old 10th February 2005, 15:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Hey, I stumbled across your website and noticed that you are getting married on 20th Feb Is this trip in connection to that ;-) Enjoy man!
thanx dude
this trip will be after that. Actually this trip is there incase we want to go to hometown(Ludhiana) by road
Old 10th February 2005, 15:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
the bangalore -mumbai via mangalore n goa means u cannot reach mumbai in a single day.
then you will have to bangalore-mangalore -murudeshwar (about 600kms) on the first day.
then u have the option of taking either the NH17 goa road to mumbai or the NH63 via yellapur..

instead of a delhi drive ,u can do the bangalore mumbai bangalore drive..
u can do the bangalore mumbai via mangalore as the NH4 is boring.from mangalore u can do the mumbai drive via goa .and u will definitely enjoy with about 12-13 ghats starting from karwar to mumbai.most of the ghats are downhill.
dont do the NH63(ankola rd) while going as its uphill,so u cannot really fly.

on the return leg u can do via pune ,belgaum and ankola to mangalore.this way ,u can get the expressway,the golden quadrilateral till dharwad and after that everyones favourite NH63 till ankola.

,but i would rather prefer this to a delhi drive as its an absolute bore.
Actually we would want to drive to hometown(ludhiana). So thats why the trip. I think Bangalore-Pune-Bombay-Baroda-Shortest/best route-Delhi-Ludhiana looks best!
Old 10th February 2005, 15:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

i have done delhi ludhiana.and am always travelling along that road.the GT road or the NH1 is OK.its a straight road.not much fun.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks