Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:29   #1
BHPian

Interactive Online Learning courses from Premier Institutes

Premier business schools like IIMC, IIMB, XLRI, IIFT, MDI et al. have been delivering executive programs in the past few years via the Interactive Online Learning medium. They have tied up with HughesNet Global Eduction (HughesNet Global Education - Management Programs from premier B-Schools >> Post Graduate programs >> Global Education) or NIIT Imperia (NIIT: Welcome To NIIT IMPERIA) to deliver the classroom modules. A campus component is also included for orientation of the course content in most cases. The programs cost anywhere between 50,000 to 2,00,000 INR for a duration ranging from 3 to 12 months. This, as they say, is particularly useful for individuals who cannot afford to quit their jobs and pursue full-time management education.

One such program is the EPBM (Executive Program in Business Management) offered by IIMC. The agenda of this course is to impart general management education to mid-level professionals (work-ex above 5 years). Having completed 6 years of professional work experience, I reckon this would be a good bet.

All looks good on paper. However, I am a bit skeptical about the recognition of these type of courses in the industry, in general. I understand this will not fetch me a big-ticket job with a MNC. Immediate ROI is not expected, I know! But in terms of value-addition, how much is it really worth? I will have to plonk 2 lac INR for this course (if I chose to do it) and will demand a dedication of about a year.

Has anyone in this forum done one of these courses? Or even heard about it for that matter? Look forward to your valuable suggestions.

My profile: B.E. from Mumbai University 2001 passout with 58% marks. 6 years work-ex in the IT industry. Presently serving a Technical Team Leader at the workplace. Leading a team of 4. (Just another IT guy, you see )

Last edited by wanderlustindia : 22nd April 2008 at 15:33. Reason: Edited content
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Especially on Business education, nothing beats a full-time program. The very essence of Business education is in the networking and interaction.

Think about why you are doing the program. Is it because you feel good about getting a PG? Is it because you are looking at a change of track, in terms of job profile?
Old 22nd April 2008, 16:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Agree with WK, thats what I have heard from a lot of MBA grads. Doing case studies along with your peers is an essential part of MBA program. I dont know how they will manage this in when the course is conducted online.
Old 22nd April 2008, 16:30   #4
BHPian

Even though these courses are online, they are interactive in nature. So you have a classroom at HughesNet, the faculty delivers from IIMC campus. Plus enrolling for these courses gives one access to most of the library material available with the institute.

I am going to the HughesNet center in Aundh today to talk to the officials and see what comes out of the discussion. Will keep you guys posted.

Morevoer, the very fact that these programs are continued by the institutes makes me feel they have some value addition after all. They do not induct any Tom, Dick and Harry who is ready to shell out the required bucks. Unless, you pass through their interview panel, you are not inducted into the program. Let me see.

More inputs would be valuable, especially from someone who has had an experience with such a program.

Last edited by wanderlustindia : 22nd April 2008 at 16:33.
Old 22nd April 2008, 17:55   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Especially on Business education, nothing beats a full-time program. The very essence of Business education is in the networking and interaction.
Absolutely! An MBA is not so much about what you learn from books, but how it affects your analytical skills, problem solving capability, personality, strategic mind-set...the list can just go on and on.

As someone from the education industry, I can tell you that online MBA's are not a patch on their brick & mortar classroom counterparts.
Old 22nd April 2008, 19:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As someone from the education industry, I can tell you that online MBA's are not a patch on their brick & mortar classroom counterparts.
IMHO Everyone will agree with this ^^^^ .

Question is: given online/distance education is not as valuable as full time courses, is it valuable enough to justify the cost/pains.
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
More inputs would be valuable, especially from someone who has had an experience with such a program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Question is: given online/distance education is not as valuable as full time courses, is it valuable enough to justify the cost/pains.
Well, let me try to answer both questions.

Any higher education is an indicator to your current employer, that you are now ready to move up. Also means, you are really putting effort for the next level of job.

Now, specific to wanderlustindia's job profile, a PMP might get you more mileage on your short-medium term career than an MBA.

If you spend some time on the course contents of these Indian distance learning MBAs, you would notice that they all are foundational courses. Most of them start with accounting, Marketing-I, Marketing-II etc. If you are a rookie in management, those helps. Instead, for someone with 5+ yrs of management experience, these are like going to playschool. I am yet to see a true General management part-time MBA program in India.

To conclude,
If you are looking for a horizontal shift in terms of job/industry, only a full time program (with lot of effort) would help you. For eg, you wish to move from IT to I-Banking.
If you are looking for vertical growth, specilized programs like PMP might get you more mileage.
If you are new to management education, and looking for learning, then distance learning would give you a start. It does add color to your CV-that's a bonus
Best of luck
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:28   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs so far guys. One program that caught my attention is the EMEP (Executive Management Education Program) offered by IIMK. This is running for 7 years now and the 8th batch would be underway in a few months time.

The screening is done on the basis of the SOP and then an eMAT (executive Management Aptitude Test). The test in on lines of CAT, though not as tough, as I'd assume! The program appears quite rigorous and IIMK is looking to extend the EMEP into a specialized program called e-PGP, where a candidate can chose an elective for specialization. It does look content-rich on paper.

It would be fool-hardy to compare this to a full-time PGP or a PGPX program, but past takers of this program say, it has benefitted them to some extent. It does not give you a quantum leap, but atleast the organization you work in knows that you have gained management education and are serious about your career path. It also adds a bit of glitz to the CV with the IIM tag, though IIMK is not very aggressively marketed like A,B and C.

I have two options now. Either pursue the 8th batch of EMEP and lead into a specialization later on. Or appear for the GMAT and apply for a full-time program for 2009-10. I am evaluating the pros and cons of both the options wrt my current financial and career positioning.

More suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your comments, guys. Really appreciate them.
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An MBA is not so much about what you learn from books, but how it affects your analytical skills, problem solving capability, personality, strategic mind-set...the list can just go on and on
Also, convincing others 2+2 is indeed 4

Quote:
I have two options now. Either pursue the 8th batch of EMEP and lead into a specialization later on. Or appear for the GMAT and apply for a full-time program for 2009-10. I am evaluating the pros and cons of both the options wrt my current financial and career positioning
If you are planning for Foreign MBA, please be aware of

1) Financial implications- Your dad drives S-Class to office, Lambo to club, then do not worry.
2) Getting Admissions- Unfortunately, you fall into the standard Indian student category, person with experience in IT Industry. Tough to get into top ten schools, even with exceptional GMAT score.
3) Career path. Are you are planning to shift to I-Banking or Management Consulting (2 top choices)? It is extremely difficult, especially for an Indian, even with a top-10 US B-School MBA.
4) Your place of work after Graduation- Difficult to stick on in US on I-Banking and Management Consulting. You have a better chance to get jobs in far east, say Singapore, Hong Kong, or Shanghai. Be aware that your salary would not be on par with those in US. Puts strain on your loan repayment. You could get US jobs in IT related management roles.
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Also, convincing others 2+2 is indeed 4

If you are planning for Foreign MBA, please be aware of

1) Financial implications- Your dad drives S-Class to office, Lambo to club, then do not worry.
2) Getting Admissions- Unfortunately, you fall into the standard Indian student category, person with experience in IT Industry. Tough to get into top ten schools, even with exceptional GMAT score.
3) Career path. Are you are planning to shift to I-Banking or Management Consulting (2 top choices)? It is extremely difficult, especially for an Indian, even with a top-10 US B-School MBA.
4) Your place of work after Graduation- Difficult to stick on in US on I-Banking and Management Consulting. You have a better chance to get jobs in far east, say Singapore, Hong Kong, or Shanghai. Be aware that your salary would not be on par with those in US. Puts strain on your loan repayment. You could get US jobs in IT related management roles.
For full-time, I am looking at the following programs that are tailor-made for people with past experience:

1. IIMA - PGPX (Post Graduate Program for Executives) - Rs. 15 lacs
2. IIMC - PGPEX (Post Graduate Program for Executives) - Rs. 10 lacs
3. XLRI - GMP (General Management Program) - Rs. 6 lacs
4. ISB - 1-year flagship PGP (Post Graduate Program) - Rs. 16 lacs

The cost of the program mentioned here is only the tuition fees. Stay and other expenses would come to another 2 lacs for a year. All of the above mentioned programs are 1-year duration. The qualifying exam for these programs is the GMAT.

I am not looking at a US/Foreign MBA.
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:01   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Incorrect. There's a plethora of financial aid opportunities. In fact, over 60% of my clients study in the States with some scholarship / finaid or the other. Many North-American degrees could work out cheaper than their Indian counterparts. Of course, this applies only to the good students.

Quote:
Agreed. People with an entirely technical background have their work cutout. Hardest to place.
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

What is your opinion about Executive MBA programs run by IIMs?
Old 23rd April 2008, 17:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What is your opinion about Executive MBA programs run by IIMs?
The executive MBA programs (I am talking about the full-time programs) run by IIMA and IIMC boast of a great mix of participants. People below 7-8 years of rich industry experience have a hard time getting into these programs. The qualifying exam is the GMAT and the SOP and academics play a part in the admission process as well.

Apart from IIMA and IIMC, XLRI, IIML lately have started executive full-time programs that span one year. Placement records show encouraging results as can be seen from the institute websites. A candidate from XLRI GMP last year's batch was placed as a CEO of a middle-level organization, however, it must be noted that this particular chap had industry exposure of almost 20 years

and 15 lacs for IIMA.The tuition fees range from 6 lacs (XLRI) to 10 lacs (IIMC, not sure though) Factor in the living and other expenses and you are adding an additional 2 lac rupees for the period of education.

These programs are worthwhile and have wide industry acceptance AFAIK.
Old 24th April 2008, 11:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Incorrect. There's a plethora of financial aid opportunities. In fact, over 60% of my clients study in the States with some scholarship / finaid or the other.
Thank you. I was pointing to top-10 US B-schools. I am aware of low-interest loans, but not seen too many scholarships. Wish I had met you before

Quote:
A candidate from XLRI GMP last year's batch was placed as a CEO of a middle-level organization, however, it must be noted that this particular chap had industry exposure of almost 20 years
So, that is what you have in mind. All the best!!. Hope it doesn't take you 20 Yrs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks