6. Rinku Singh
7. Hardik Pandya
8. Ravindra Jadeja
9. Axar Patel
10. Jasprit Bumrah (C)
11. Mayank Yadav

The reserve can be
Kuldeep, Yuzi, Parag, Mukesh Kumar, Ishan Kishan

This will give the captain 6 bowling options and we will bat very deep.
Mayank will not play for sure. The above bowling lineup is same as MI only dependent on Bumrah to take wickets.

I think Kuldeep is a certainty and may be sandeep sharma get a chance.
Old 23rd April 2024, 12:25   #3707
BHPian

Re: The IPL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Shivam Dubey is no bowler and three spinners might not happen in those pitches. Hardik Pandya confidence has been shattered, hopefully he comes back stronger but we definitely need him in the team and in playing 11 to bring the balance. You can not leave out SKY, he is an absolute beast in T20. I don't mind leaving out Kohli and Rohit though.

1. Yashashvi Jaiswal
2. Abhishek Sharma
3. Sanju Samson
4. SKY (VC)
5. Shivam Dubey
6. Rinku Singh
7. Hardik Pandya
8. Ravindra Jadeja
9. Axar Patel
10. Jasprit Bumrah (C)
11. Mayank Yadav

The reserve can be
Kuldeep, Yuzi, Parag, Mukesh Kumar, Ishan Kishan

This will give the captain 6 bowling options and we will bat very deep.
Would love to see Ashutosh Sharma (in playing 11) and Shashank Singh (in reserve) as well. The duo has been literally carrying the Punjab kings batting on their shoulders from past 4-5 matches and Ashutosh has been a fantastic hitter late in the game.

Yuzi would be a better pick than Axar. Shivam Dubey can be kept out, I don't recall him playing anything significant in this IPL so far IIRC.
Old 23rd April 2024, 12:34   #3708
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
How about this team for the T20 World Cup?
SKY is India's best T20 batsman since several years! He should be the first name in the T20 team, at no.3 ! Riyan Parag has been in good touch in the domestic season as well but I would never pick someone on the basis of 1/2 good season of IPL. He's worth trying against Zimbabwe in July. Same is the case with Abhishek Sharma. You cannot have Chahal coming in at no.8 no matter how good a bowler he might be. Rinku is the ideal finisher which the Indian team badly needs + Tewatia could be an interesting option provided he bowls a bit. Shivam Dube inspite of his good form, I'm not too confident about his International returns. He can be a good 7th or 8th bowling option that is provided he starts bowling in IPL. Offcourse this is all a fantasy team barring SKY & none of them are going to feature in the WT20 XI! There is no option but to fall back on Hardik (despite bad form) & 1 among Axar/Jadeja since they can be categorized as all-rounders. The team will be picked based on reputation alone & we'll once again be discussing about tempo of the format/lack of willingness to go hard from the start/outdated understanding of format!
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 14:28   #3709
BHPian

The reason why T20 WC team isn't selected ONLY on the basis of IPL performance is because not all pitches are belters. Many of our star IPL performers have been found wanting on challenging tracks, which is why you select folks who have performed consistently, over a long duration of times across pitches, situations and conditions.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 14:58   #3710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
The reason why T20 WC team isn't selected ONLY on the basis of IPL performance is because not all pitches are belters. Many of our star IPL performers have been found wanting on challenging tracks, which is why you select folks who have performed consistently, over a long duration of times across pitches, situations and conditions.
+1

The road like pitches being served for the IPL and the resulting mindless hitting may not be the ideal practice for the upcoming T20 World Cup. Pitches are expected to be slower and lower there, with a hint of turn. Kind of like the one in the 50 over World Cup final at Ahmedabad.
Old 23rd April 2024, 15:32   #3711
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
The reason why T20 WC team isn't selected ONLY on the basis of IPL performance is because not all pitches are belters.
+1

But that also doesn't mean that you have Rohit, Virat, KL play conservatively! The reason why Indian Team reached till the Semis in the last WT20 held in Australia was due to the pitches which weren't flat & the tournament starting towards the end of Winter season.
Old 23rd April 2024, 19:34   #3712
BHPian

Picking a team based on flat pitches of IPL reminds me 2019 ODI WC in England. The selectors were expecting every game to be a 350+ one and picked the hard hitting batsmen like Shankar, an inexperienced (at that tome) Pant, DK over the technically sound batsmen like Rayudu. And then a chase of 220 odd came out of the course in semis. After the top three there was not a single player who knew how to play a long innings and take game deep. Obviously Jaddu & MS fought but the game was lost on behalf of having T20 batsmen at 4,5 & 6 positions.
Old 23rd April 2024, 19:37   #3713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
How about this team for the T20 World Cup?

1. Yashashvi Jaiswal
2. Abhishek Sharma
3. Sanju Samson (c)
4. Riyan Parag
5. Shivam Dubey
6. Rinku Singh
7. Axar Patel
8. Yuzi Chahal
9. Kuldeep Yadav
10. Jasprit Bumrah
11. Mayank Yadav

IPL does help but somehow the selections are more prejudiced than accounting for form.
This has to be a Dream 11 kinda team cos no way this can be a real team playing World cup

Abhishek Sharma and Parag needs to play bilaterals first and prove they belong at international scene.

Samson can only be selected as WK. Captain as Rohit sharma was decided way back.

Dube utility can increase if he bowls couple of overs which idiot bcci has made redundant due to Impact player rule. Still as a certified hitter he can be an option.

Where is no.1 T20 international batter? How can you even leave SKY. He literally changes the whole tempo of the game in 20 balls.

Only one of Rinku or Jaiswal can play. I still believe Jaiswal will be backup opener with Rohit and Kohli opening for sure. We need a proper finisher so I will play Rinku every game.

Axar over Jaddu any day but watch brain dead management play Jaddu over Axar.

Chahal has terrible T20I stats. There is a reason he was dropped from national team. His fielding is abysmal and he can't bat to save his life. Bishnoi is any day a better option.

Kuldeep is fixed.

Bumrah is fixed.

Mayank won't be selected. When he can't sustain ipl without injury then can't be trusted with entire world cup. 3 pacers will be front runners. Arshdeep, Mukesh and Siraj. I will select Arshdeep and Mukesh cos they both can bowl with new ball and do the job of yorkers at death too. Frankly not many pace options right now to support Bumrah. We will miss Shami and his terrific form.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 23:48   #3714
BHPian

What an incredible innings by Marcus Stoinis! LSG have defeated CSK in their backyard. This will come as shocking to CSK with 210 on board, they are generally very good defending in Chepauk. But them dew also played a major role. Interesting points table now with CSK on 8 points in eight matches!
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 23:26   #3715
BHPian

What a run chase that was, the highest ever and that too in one of the biggest grounds in IPL, the Eden Gardens. Kudos to Punjab Kings, they were so near many times and finally climbed the biggest mountain.
Old 27th April 2024, 01:16   #3716
Team-BHP Support

It's the worst IPL that I can remember. Let's go back to Dubai or South Africa.

And for God's sake, abolish the Impact Sub rule!
Eddy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 06:53   #3717
BHPian

Regarding Indian team T20 WC selection, when Rohit was selected as captain I knew instead of going forward selectors have taken two step backwards.

Rohit is clearly not in shape for T20s. His reflexes and movement is slow , fielding is atrocious. Dhoni at 43 is much fitter than him.
Kohli is someone who will score runs but eat a lot of balls as well.

So instead of selecting a team of young blood, we would still have the older players as we are so fixated about stars.
Be bold for a change. After all it was a young team under Dhoni in 2007 who played fearless cricket and won the T20 World Cup, the only one by India so far
SidTheChamp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 09:08   #3718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheChamp View Post
Regarding Indian team T20 WC selection, when Rohit was selected as captain I knew instead of going forward selectors have taken two step backwards.

Rohit is clearly not in shape for T20s. His reflexes and movement is slow , fielding is atrocious. Dhoni at 43 is much fitter than him.

So instead of selecting a team of young blood, we would still have the older players as we are so fixated about stars.
Be bold for a change. After all it was a young team under Dhoni in 2007 who played fearless cricket and won the T20 World Cup, the only one by India so far
Agree completely. Samson, Parag, Abhishek are likely to be more effective than Rohit Kohli Rahul. Maybe have 1 for tricky wickets but not 3.
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 09:21   #3719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

I won’t complain as long as we get close finishes and equal chances for both sides whether it’s high scoring or low scoring. I hate those one sided affairs where pitch slows down or dew factors plays the spoilsport.
Old 27th April 2024, 11:39   #3720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Aren't you enjoying the batters hitting the bowling machines

Only the real cricket lovers who are in minority are complaining. The general census and viewership stats suggests this IPL is a big hit among masses. Ad revenue is up as well. This is all bcci and ipl franchises cares about- Money. So, the circus will continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheChamp View Post

Dhoni is no way fitter than Rohit first of all. Just because he has developed some muscles doesn't means he has become fitter. Sole reason he is batting in last 3 overs is because his knee is troubling him and that's been confirmed by Fleming himself. This is why he just comes for few balls and hit and doesn't go for hard doubles like he used to. I am sure he is only playing this year to mentor and ease Rutu in the Captaincy role.

Remind me when Rohit dropped catches or misfielded this ipl? Just because he doesn't have 6 packs like Virat people presume he isn't fit. In the initial matches Hardik placed him at long on and deep midwicket where he was fielding quite well and picked catches too. The issue with Rohit isn't his fitness or even his captaincy. Issue is his batting in T20 which isn't working in T20 world cups, ipl and T20I as well since years. Ideally he shouldn't be selected as a player based on his performances in these 3 since long. But Jay shah made him Captain even before IPL started for brownie points so that will stay.

It was a young team in 2007 world cup because t20 had just started and everyone treated it as hits and giggles cricket and nothing serious. That's why all Indian seniors opted out of it ( not removed). Australia treated t20 as third cousin for a very long time and still do. Only when Cricket Australia realized the revenue t20 brings they started taking it bit more seriously.

And we shouldn't debut youngsters like Abhishek Sharma or Riyan Parag directly in a World cup fire. God forbid if they fail there careers will be destroyed by our opportunistic media and impatient fans. Bcci did the right thing by claiming they will play bilateral first in international cricket. Atleast Dube and Rinku have some international experience so they are the ones who should be in contention. Especially Rinku who can attack from ball one and can play the long innings too when needed as shown by him in one match before IPL.

I hope Agarkar makes some wise decisions in selections. I do have hopes from him as MSK Prasad was a complete egomaniac idiot. And West Indies pitches are slower in nature and grounds aren't tea pot sized like our Delhi or bangalore ones. A score of 180-190 will be very challenging there with full international quality bowling attacks. So, don't go by these 250 trends in IPL.

Stokes won t20 world cup when he was 30. Finchy won it on cusp of his retirement. So, age isn't an issue for a World cup captain like Rohit. It's the form with bat which I hope is good enough when it's needed.
harry10 is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks