Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2023, 22:11   #2461
BHPian

Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
..IT dept filling and submitting these details for you and me means they can’t hold us accountable in case of incorrect filings/tax discrepancies. No IT department in any country would take that risk. The onus for tax compliance would always be on the common citizen.
As you state, the responsibility lies with the individual and the IT dept would not take over that responsibility - I get that.

Even today, several heads in the ITR were prefilled (SB interest, dividend income, salary, tax deposited). Why not extend the same to the STT based capital gains? All it needs is an API linkage to the broker/NSDL.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 23:32   #2462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
As you state, the responsibility lies with the individual and the IT dept would not take over that responsibility - I get that.

Even today, several heads in the ITR were prefilled (SB interest, dividend income, salary, tax deposited). Why not extend the same to the STT based capital gains? All it needs is an API linkage to the broker/NSDL.
Aah ok. I get the point now. Would assume they will start doing this soon enough. Every year there are incremental integrations. It’s just a matter of time.

In addition to what you said, what I really hated about this capital gains declaration is providing a schedule/split-up across 5 periods (date-ranges) in the ITR form. It was a royal-pain, especially because the brokers just provide an annual gain/loss statement.

Last edited by warrioraks : 30th July 2023 at 23:40.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 01:08   #2463
BHPian

Quote:

I noticed that there is an option to enter demat details under income tax site. I am not sure providing details will fetch the transaction details. I haven’t entered my details yet.

But there is definitely API available as my employer pulls current holdings details as part of our mandatory compliance declarations.
rx100 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 08:02   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
Even today, several heads in the ITR were prefilled (SB interest, dividend income, salary, tax deposited).
This year I've found to my surprise that none of the details about my house properties provided in previous years were prefilled! I had to fill up everything all over again from scratch. Not happy. It's not something that keeps changing every year, -- or even every decade! So why not prefill those? It's not like they have deleted everything from their records!
meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 12:23   #2465
BHPian

I had purchased some bonds from secondary market in early March, and the accrued interest was paid to the owner of the bonds on that date. Under what section can I claim a deduction for this amount?

TIA,
Ajay
Old 31st July 2023, 12:34   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
This year I've found to my surprise that none of the details about my house properties provided in previous years were prefilled! I had to fill up everything all over again from scratch. Not happy. It's not something that keeps changing every year, -- or even every decade! So why not prefill those? It's not like they have deleted everything from their records!
True, this year I find the prefill details are not carried over from the previous returns for the house property sections. And even worse, the prefilled details are not matching with AIS data for salary, income from other sources etc. I had to edit and modify them. Hopefully this does not end as query on the return. Luckily the TDS details were properly captured. This is surprising since everything was smooth in the last year prefill!
Old 31st July 2023, 17:32   #2467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I had purchased some bonds from secondary market in early March, and the accrued interest was paid to the owner of the bonds on that date. Under what section can I claim a deduction for this amount?

TIA,
Ajay
My understanding is that you can book the loss on maturity/sale.
Assuming you purchased it for an amount of FV+Int this becomes your purchase price. So, on maturity/further sale, you can offset this as a loss.
i.e if held to maturity you would get an amount of FV, then you can book a loss of Int
Old 31st July 2023, 20:15   #2468
BHPian

I filed my returns yesterday and in that I claimed 1 Lakh deduction under Section 80DDB - treatment of specified diseases. But I couldn't find a place to upload prescription from a doctor as proof of the specified disease. Also, no bills were uploaded. Do they ask for proofs later?

Anybody here has claimed 80DDB before? How have you submitted prescription and other proofs?
Old 31st July 2023, 20:24   #2469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I filed my returns yesterday and in that I claimed 1 Lakh deduction under Section 80DDB - treatment of specified diseases. But I couldn't find a place to upload prescription from a doctor as proof of the specified disease. Also, no bills were uploaded. Do they ask for proofs later?

Anybody here has claimed 80DDB before? How have you submitted prescription and other proofs?
In ITR Filing no proofs are added for any deductions or exemptions AFAIK. Its completely based on what one declares and with ones undertaking that he /she understands what they are stating and consequence of false information.

Proofs can be asked for if a query is raised. Same goes for 80 C, 80 D, Loss of income from house property, STCG and LTCG etc.
Rodie09 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 20:45   #2470
BHPian

Quote:

While I do it as part of my year end proof submission with my employer, from what I know they don't ask for it if you file yourself and claim the deduction later. They will ask for it only if they suspect something and your file comes under scrutiny. Otherwise it works without issues.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 14:16   #2471
BHPian

Quote:

As a person who filed this up until few years ago, I always collect the proof for the specific FY from a doctor and keep it with me. Since I file IT myself, I never got any query to provide the same. But I still keep it with me anyways.

Only when there are any red flags with your filing, will they ask for proof but 99% of the time, they don't require it.
xcentrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 14:48   #2472
Senior - BHPian

I am posting on behalf of my wife, She has a SBI account linked to the income tax portal for refunds and refunds have come in the past without any issue.

This year it failed due to a validation issue with the bank account, we have removed all the account and added the account again and the first time validation failed again, we spoke to the bank and they obviously don't have a clue. I suspect that the communication address might be different in the bank account and have asked my wife to get that hypothesis validated.

In the mean time we have also added the account again for validation as there was absolutely no activity on the previous validation request, requested last Friday.

The said account is her salary account and she is a central govt employee, she has been receiving her salary in this account regularly.

Kindly help

Pramod
Old 1st August 2023, 15:16   #2473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
This year it failed due to a validation issue with the bank account, we have removed all the account and added the account again and the first time validation failed again, we spoke to the bank and they obviously don't have a clue. I suspect that the communication address might be different in the bank account and have asked my wife to get that hypothesis validated.
More than the address in a similar issue I have seen with a friend, the issue tends to be either:
1. Pan not updated
2. Kyc expired
3. Account number/ifsc differences in case of bank mergers etc.

Unfortunately the error does not tell why the failure occurred.
Old 1st August 2023, 16:19   #2474

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

In the mean time we have also added the account again for validation as there was absolutely no activity on the previous validation request, requested last Friday.

Kindly help

Pramod
Dear Pramod,

For pre-validation, it is imperative that the PAN is linked with the bank account. Further the telephone number and email address should also same in IT as well as bank.
mtripathi13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 19:28   #2475
BHPian

I filed my revised return on 28th of June and verified the same day. It's status changed to under processing on 25th of July and has been the same since then. I am expecting a refund. Is anyone else facing similar delays?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks