Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2023, 17:56   #2446
BHPian

Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Guys i have a strange issue.

While filing tax the standard deduction us 16(ia) shows 0 and no way edit this. (My understanding is it should show 50k)

Attachment 2480413

Anyone else facing the same? Any way to edit this?

Tried starting from scratch again and still see the same.
Did you by any chance choose new tax regime option in the beginning?
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 18:23   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Did you by any chance choose new tax regime option in the beginning?
Yes I did, doesnt new tax regime have the same?

Edit: My bad just checked. It is not applicable.

Thanks for your help!
Old 24th July 2023, 18:42   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Yes I did, doesnt new tax regime have the same?

Edit: My bad just checked. It is not applicable.

Thanks for your help!
You're welcome
Standard deduction is not available for new tax regime in FY 2022-23.
But it's available for new tax regime in FY 2023-24
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 18:46   #2449
BHPian

If I didn't report my capital losses in last year ITR, can I mention /bring it forward to this year ?
Old 27th July 2023, 12:01   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtripathi13 View Post
Sir, please hold on for some more time. The processing of returns have been properly started post 7th July. The government has been waiting for june quarter advance tax and july tds receipts to ease its liquidity. Barely few thousand return were processed at start of July. As of today the figure of processed returns is 1.33 crores out of 2.64 cr verified. See the attachment.

So please bear for a little bit more. The refunds will be credited shortly.

Regards
Manish
My return got processed and got the refund today. Thanks for your reply!
xcentrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 21:40   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
If I didn't report my capital losses in last year ITR, can I mention /bring it forward to this year ?
I don’t think that would be possible. Only reported losses can be brought forward to next FY.
Old 27th July 2023, 22:13   #2452
BHPian

Hi experts, does an NRI in a country with Double Taxation Agreement, and without any income in India, need to file an ITR? If yes, which one please? Some guidance would be really useful, thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 10:28   #2453

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi experts, does an NRI in a country with Double Taxation Agreement, and without any income in India, need to file an ITR? If yes, which one please? Some guidance would be really useful, thanks
Dear Sir
For a Non-Resident(NR), the following are taxable in India–
a. income received or deemed to be received in India;
b. Income which accrues or is deemed to accrue in India

If neither of these exceed the minimum amount chargeable to tax, then the need to file return is not there provided the exemptions of various provisos, more importantly seventh proviso and Rule 12 AB is also met.

For all practical purpose an NR will fall under one of these added conditions. For example, the seventh proviso says:
Provided also that a person referred to in clause (b), who is not required to furnish a return under this sub-section, and who during the previous year—
(i) has deposited an amount or aggregate of the amounts exceeding one crore rupees in one or more current accounts maintained with a banking company or a co-operative bank: or
(ii) has incurred expenditure of an amount or aggregate of the amounts exceeding two lakh rupees for himself or any other person for travel to a foreign country; or
(iii) has incurred expenditure of an amount or aggregate of the amounts exceeding one lakh rupees towards consumption of electricity; or
(iv) fulfils such other conditions as may be prescribed51,
shall furnish a return of his income on or before the due date in such form and verified in such manner and setting forth such other particulars, as may be prescribed.

So if not too much trouble, try and file the return for NR.
mtripathi13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 11:06   #2454
BHPian

The online filing process has improved significantly, while the excel based one continues to be sloppy (disabling cut operation, hiding the formula bar etc).
Overall the AIS + the filing portal made it quite easy to file the taxes this time around, thought the we site was a bit slow, no complaints on it as such.
Huge improvement since last year!

One gripe is, looking at the details in the AIS - the IT dept has our digital horoscope. Makes me wonder why do they make go through the annual ritual of entering all these numbers? Especially the ones related to equity, would save the nation a bunch of time, if they pulled hte info from the brokers/NSDL and pre-populated the same.
Atleast for common citizenry like me, would avoid unproductive drudgery.
whitewing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 17:49   #2455
BHPian

I received my ITR acknowledgement today. Upon checking the same I see that the amount of tax payable (including interest and penalty) is Rs.4 more than the amount of tax paid. What happens now? Will I get a notice from the IT Dept. to pay Rs.4 as outstanding tax? Will I be liable to pay any penalty? Thanks.

Last edited by kushagra452 : 30th July 2023 at 17:50.
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 18:43   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
One gripe is, looking at the details in the AIS - the IT dept has our digital horoscope. Makes me wonder why do they make go through the annual ritual of entering all these numbers? Especially the ones related to equity, would save the nation a bunch of time, if they pulled hte info from the brokers/NSDL and pre-populated the same.
Although I am with you on the sentiment, this will never happen. Two reasons primarily -

Firstly, your comment is applicable only to people who are salaried and everything is usually in white. This is a small fraction of overall population.

Secondly and more importantly, it’s about risk management. IT dept filling and submitting these details for you and me means they can’t hold us accountable in case of incorrect filings/tax discrepancies. No IT department in any country would take that risk. The onus for tax compliance would always be on the common citizen.

Last edited by warrioraks : 30th July 2023 at 18:49.
warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 18:52   #2457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I received my ITR acknowledgement today. Upon checking the same I see that the amount of tax payable (including interest and penalty) is Rs.4 more than the amount of tax paid. What happens now? Will I get a notice from the IT Dept. to pay Rs.4 as outstanding tax? Will I be liable to pay any penalty? Thanks.
Not a tax professional, but I'd say wait for it to be processed and see if a demand is actually raised (the final intimation would indicate that). Should be pretty straightforward to clear up if they do ask.

When the difference is within a few rupees (usually calculation differences and unintentional), it's usually rounded off and marked no due. I've had it a couple times over the years and was never asked to pay up single-digit sums.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 19:28   #2458
BHPian

Quote:
I had read somewhere in the past that if the difference is less than Rs.100, you don't need to do anything. Not sure if it's still the same.
Everlearner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 20:44   #2459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did the system not show this excess demand while filing the return, before submitting it? If not, it is highly unlikely that you will be asked to clear the dues now.

But one can't really be sure how the IT department thinks. For, about a decade back, a colleague was served a physical notice for an exactly same amount - ₹4/-; when he had already paid about two odd lakhs!
On second thoughts, what do you mean by receiving the acknowledgement? That normally happens immediately after the e-verification, doesn't it?

Are you talking about 143(1) that is sent after the returns are processed?
Old 30th July 2023, 21:57   #2460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
I had read somewhere in the past that if the difference is less than Rs.100, you don't need to do anything. Not sure if it's still the same.
It is still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

But one can't really be sure how the IT department thinks. For, about a decade back, a colleague was served a physical notice for an exactly same amount - ₹4/-;
[
That's really surprising! The ITR form shows zero demand for amounts less than 5 rupees. This has been true for at least a decade, in my experience. Moreover, they don't ask for payment anyway if the demand is less than 100 rupees.
meerkat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks