Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2023, 19:35   #4246
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Today, we went to Rogue Elephant cafe at Basavanagudi (opposite to Krishna Rao park). This was our second visit albeit after 3-4 years. It's an outdoor cafe serving mostly Continental/Meditterenean-style veg/non-veg food in a 100+ year-old property.

Ambiance: 4/5. I am big on outdoor-style cafes and this is a good one. I would have loved to have it a bit more rustic that's all.
Food: 4/5. We ordered fries, garlic bread, Pumpkin/squash soup (soup of the day), and Falafel with Tabbouleh & hummus for starters. The fries were freshly made and were good. Kids loved both fries and garlic bread. The soup was good but could have been a little more thick. Falafel was nice.

For the main course, as we were not hungry we ordered palak panner with chapati. Palak Panner was good and creamy. Kids enjoy eating it but adults may find it a bit bland. Chapatis were soft and freshly made.

Had planned to order the strawberry pannacotta but we were full and left it for another day. Service is quick and the owner does walk around ensuring that all tables are serviced correctly (along with taking feedback and exchanging pleasantries).

Overall a pleasant experience. Would recommend it for a weekend brunch especially when the weather is pleasant.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 12:49   #4247
BHPian

Brik Oven
Dinner
At Forum Falcon City mall, Kanakapura road

We (2 of us) went to Brik oven after a long time, We have memories of tasty sour dough pizza crust and cheese and tomato sauce with real flavour when are at their first outlet in Bangalore.Hence We quickly decided on eating at Brik Oven.

Food: 3/5
The pizzas are no longer as good as we remembered them to be. The crust has a decent texture but no real flavour of sour dough. The toppings were decent but nothing remarkable. What struck me was that though the pizzas are baked in a wood-fired oven, there was no aroma of wood smoke. On the whole, there's nothing special about Brik oven anymore. It's better than Domino's or Pizza Hut but I expected better. The hot chocolate we ordered tasted ok and we noticed that the chocolate had split and left a grainy texture.

Ambience: 2/5
Modern casual but no real ambience to speak of. Seating was cramped and tables are small so plates are on the edge.

Service: 3/5
Service was unremarkable as well.

Price: 2/5
The bill came up to about Rs. 1200. For the overall experience, the price was on the higher side.

Recommendation:
I wouldn't go again. I would prefer Pizza Bakery as their menu has better options for salads and sides and their pizzas are equally good (though not great).
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 18:33   #4248
Senior - BHPian

Folks, any suggestions for a good restaurant for team catch up in and around Manyata tech park? Buffet is preferred but not mandatory.
Old 21st December 2023, 18:43   #4249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks, any suggestions for a good restaurant for team catch up in and around Manyata tech park? Buffet is preferred but not mandatory.
The first options that come to mind, The Hilton and the Marriott. If you need something else, may be some places in and around Kammanahalli.

Last edited by ampere : 21st December 2023 at 18:46.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 18:56   #4250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
The Geist at Bhartiya City Mall is a fantastic option for a team catch up, in terms of ambience, space, food options and of course beverages - this is just about 3.5kms from Manyata Tech Park.
Rajeev1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 19:51   #4251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The first options that come to mind, The Hilton and the Marriott. If you need something else, may be some places in and around Kammanahalli.
Thanks, ampere. We had already been to Marriott last time around and thought for a different place this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
The Geist at Bhartiya City Mall is a fantastic option for a team catch up, in terms of ambience, space, food options and of course beverages - this is just about 3.5kms from Manyata Tech Park.
Just checked it and indeed looks like a good option. Will check with the team on this option. Thanks, Rajeev.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 22:45   #4252

Hi everyone! Last week, I spent Christmas in Bangalore with my mum and dad. We used to live in Bangalore and could not pass up an opportunity to spend Christmas in this lovely city. Thought of sharing my experience at some legendary eateries. Here are some breakfast joints we visited:

SLV Tiffins on Vani Villas road

My parents told me I've been coming here since I was still in my diapers, but of course my mind has crumpled up that memory and thrown it in the wastepaper basket. Anyways, this is one of those classic idli-dosa joints where you stand and eat at steel counters. The food was excellent. We ordered a masala dosa, set dosas, dahi-vada and filter coffee. My favorite was the sambar and the dahi vada; the sambar had a beautiful balance of tanginess and sweetness. As for the dahi vada, I don't think I have had a better bowl of it having spent more than half my life in the South. The dosas were also yummy.

Hole In The Wall - Koramangala

I was very excited when I sat down for breakfast in this well-known and cosy cafe. I particularly loved the ambience and the freshness of this place. We ordered a black forest waffle, beef omlette, bacon, and the cheekily titled dish, Hangover Remedy! (another omlette). I really liked the waffles and the Hangover Remedy. This was sautéed meat rolled up in an omlette. It reminded me of pig in a blanket. As for the bacon, I'll let you have the description, and you can decide what you think of it for yourself: four six inch strips of bacon scattered around a large plate. I would say this place is more for hanging out with your friends and for the fancy atmosphere rather than the food. But is was a lovely experience nonetheless!

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_20231226_104458.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_20231226_105316.jpg
They must have been worried about cholesterol - look at the plate of bacons!

The places we visited for lunch:

The Mangalore Pearl, Ulsoor

Seafood is not my cup of tea (or should I say my cup of sea), but the Mangalore Pearl is the place to go to for coastal cuisine. We had pepper pork, chicken masala curry, a whole fish coated with breadcrumbs and fried and calamari. I find all fish repulsive to eat and ate only the meat with rice, so I cannot review the food this restaurant is famous for! I must say that the taste was good, if a little chewy. It was again a cool place to eat your lunch, just not for those who are not crazy about seafood!

Toit - Indiranagar

Although Toit is a brewpub and I am underage, I found this place totally amazing. I assure you, I did not have any beer, since even the tiniest sip of the frothy stuff I find absolutely distasteful Hence I got an Oreo milkshake for myself, Kerala beef fry, and two completely different looking drinks for the two adults. The person who did this place up deserves to be congratulated. There were classic paintings, like the American Gothic, which were actually improvised on Toit, since the panting here showed the two southerners standing in front of Toit! The place had such a jolly atmosphere, no wonder it was already crowded at noon! Both the Oreo milkshake and the food were fantastic and at good prices.

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_20231228_141426.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img20231231wa0002.jpg

The Only Place - Museum Road

We had dinner at the Only Place. This is a homely, American diner type restaurant of my childhood. This place I actually remember. The ambience is cozy and the food is very good. I had a fried steak with a German name which came with fries. The dish I had was really good for a beginner steak eater like myself and it tasted wonderful. I kept stealing some mashed potato from my table mates. Mashed potato at Only Place is to live for.

We were just too hungry to take any pictures of our food here!

A roll corner near ESI Hospital Indira Nagar

We were looking for a quick dinner before invading the Corner House, and we found a cloud kitchen which has been open just for a month or so. We barely noticed this place since it was on the first floor. We sat in the tiny balcony of the kitchen and had an egg roll and a crispy chicken roll. Both were very yummy to taste and were very thick like their motto - "Tastes like Heaven and loaded like Hell"!

You can visit any of the places above for meals but for dessert, there is only one place that I recommend:

Corner House - All of them! - (we went to the ones in Banshankari, Lavelle Road and of course, Indiranagar)

Corner House is not too far from heaven to those who love ice - cream like I do. All the branches that we went to were consistently excellent. Their atmosphere is simple so you can concentrate on that beautiful scoop of love in front of you. If you're in Bangalore, I would say it is a crime to leave out Corner House. I recommend the Death By Chocolate and everything else on their menu!

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_20231226_230532.jpg
Death by Chocolate and Impeached - what a combo! I can eat this all day, everyday!

I had a really lovely time visiting Church Street and browsing at Blossoms and buying tons of books and posters. Also relived some childhood moments at Cubbon Park

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_20231226_080933.jpg
Dawn at Cubbon Park

Hope the reviews help if you are wondering where to eat out in this lovely city!
joyee is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 14:00   #4253
BHPian

Your post brought memories of my time in Bangalore. Used to frequent Corner house, death by chocolate is to worth dying for.

Cubbon Park is too good for morning strolls & cycling
kkunal.shah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 15:03   #4254
BHPian

Restaurant: Phurr
Rating: 4.5/5

Summary: Pure Veg new place, great ambience, very good food, little on the expensive side.

Ambience: 4.5/5
Overall very good ambience, decent seating space but outside waiting space is very small. Interiors are good.

Food: 4.5/5
Presentation 5/5, Quality 5/5, Quantity 4/5, Experience 5/5
That should say it all, very good food, all tasty and well prepared.

Price: 4/5
Slightly expensive

Items we loved:
Amuse Bouche, Raw Mango Avacado Salad, Lemon Coriander Soup, Phurr (Desert), Aloo Tikki Chaat

Yet to try:
Pasta, and other Conti items

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-p1.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-p2.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-p4.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-p5.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-p3.jpg
m2maddy is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 11:19   #4255
BHPian

https://www.dnaindia.com/business/re...-45-cr-3073907

Story about Rameshwaram Cafe if was already not posted. Very successful model. Its cleaner, just little above average food drenched in ghee to mask. I usually have non-ghee items and find it good for food needs whenever I am near any of them.
Old 10th January 2024, 11:40   #4256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Story about Rameshwaram Cafe if was already not posted. Very successful model. Its cleaner, just little above average food drenched in ghee to mask. I usually have non-ghee items and find it good for food needs whenever I am near any of them.
I've been to Rameshwaram cafe at Indiranagar, and I found the food decent (nothing extraordinary). Last Sunday a friend was visiting from the US and decided he wanted to try Rameshwaram Cafe food in the evening. The chaos in front with zero parking space cannot be described. Circled the place like 3-4 times with no parking available. Left with a vow to never venture here on a Sunday evening.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 11:56   #4257
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there are very, very few places where the food is worth going out of your way for in Bangalore. When you consider a typical Bangalore breakfast (idli, vada, dosa, filter coffee), it becomes even more perplexing why anyone would leave their neighborhood and go through the hassle of waiting in line, or looking for parking, just to eat at a particular place, since almost all neighborhoods will have a good breakfast place.

No doubt some places are certainly good, but I think mostly it's hype, not worth the hassle.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 12:21   #4258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I think there are very, very few places where the food is worth going out of your way for in Bangalore. When you consider a typical Bangalore breakfast (idli, vada, dosa, filter coffee), it becomes even more perplexing why anyone would leave their neighborhood and go through the hassle of waiting in line, or looking for parking, just to eat at a particular place, since almost all neighborhoods will have a good breakfast place.

No doubt some places are certainly good, but I think mostly it's hype, not worth the hassle.
It's easier to go to Murugan Idli at Krishnagiri on a Sunday morning than Rameshwaram Cafe.
The drive to Krishnagiri is pleasant with ample parking.
Ghee podi idli is scrumptious (without them drowning in ghee), podi dosa is yummy, sweet hot pongal is a must try.
One can sit in peace, order lots of stuff without others eyeing your table or hovering over your head to finish your food at F1 speeds.

At the end, one can have nice hot filter coffee and drive back to Bangalore in peace
ValarMorghulis is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 12:28   #4259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Agree to certain extent, however to me many places like CTR, Vidyarthi Bhavan, Airlines, Janatha hotel etc. is an experience more than food. Ofcourse the food at these places is quite good too but sitting there and having food helps bring back memories. Yes, I would not travel and wait for a newly setup eatery but some the icons is worth visiting once in a while, especially if you have memories associated.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 12:44   #4260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Agree to certain extent, however to me many places like CTR, Vidyarthi Bhavan, Airlines...
Since you bring up Airlines, I too have very fond memories of going there as a child (in the 90s). But back then it was a truly relaxed experience. Now, it's crowded, you have to wait to be seated, there are literally traffic jams inside, the service is bad, and the food worse. So I just think we shouldn't allow the old reputation (or the social media reputation) of a place to be the reason to accept a bad experience today.

Last edited by am1m : 10th January 2024 at 12:45.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks