Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2004, 16:00   #1
BHPian

Plastics greying!

I own a one month old Xing and the exterior plastics (Primarily the black strip on the bumper and door side mouldings) are not as black as they were. Seems like the matt finish is causing the water deposits to impart a grey kind of color. The problem has just started and would like to nip it in the bud. Any good products out there that can do the job?

And now for the Bangalore guys - Where can I pick up genuine car care products like wax (did someone say pennzoil) and such? And where can I find a decent tyre gauge? I asked a few auto accessory guys and none had it.
Old 22nd December 2004, 16:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

for the black strip use STP Son Of a Gun Vinyl polish.use it regularly on the black strips and also ur dashboard.
for wax search for Turle Wax or AutoGlym
Old 23rd December 2004, 07:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

Mohit,
your plastics are turning grey mainly due to water. It's a problem in Bangalore if you're washing your car with borewell water. If it's borewell water, sooner or later it'll affect your paint finish also.

For plastics, use 3M Vinyl Cleaner & Restorer. Costing around 210/- odd.

Not one shop will offer you every single car care products under the sun. You have to hunt from shop to shop. I did mention Pennzoil in one of my earlier posts. Their Blue Coral carnauba cleaner wax is a great product but sadly I don't see that in the market any more. It's a great swirl remover (happens over a period of time) and gives a fantastic surface to apply wax. Eagle one is one really good wax to use. Costing around 470/-.

I need to pick up my stock. So if you're interested, pm me. We can go for a hunt together.
Old 23rd December 2004, 11:07   #4
BHPian

Hey rudra,
I know that u have talked about car care t many places in this forum. Is it possible to gather them and give a detailed write up on this topic.
Five months old already i feel that black color is getting faded. And there is hell lot of swirl too...
Thanks
Old 23rd December 2004, 11:15   #5
Team-BHP Support

Will do in a few days.
Old 23rd December 2004, 11:17   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
Hey rudra,
I know that u have talked about car care t many places in this forum. Is it possible to gather them and give a detailed write up on this topic.
Five months old already i feel that black color is getting faded. And there is hell lot of swirl too...
Thanks

Polish Polish Polish ! PLease note the Honda parked next/near your car most mornings
Old 23rd December 2004, 11:39   #7
BHPian

I notice that... Yes, that honda is all shinning. How old it is???
Actually never done things like this before. So dont want to end up buying some bad products and screw up the surface.
Old 23rd December 2004, 13:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

[quote=gkrishn]I notice that... Yes, that honda is all shinning. How old it is???

2.5 years parked outdoors- only thing that spoils it is the watchman who cannot clean (beleives in minimal water) however hard I teach him. Recommend you visit this place called Cars r Us run by an ex Autoglym sale person on Mission Road - they do a really good job but Uncle Rudra is king!
Old 23rd December 2004, 15:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

hey rudra
which ones for the interiors?
Old 23rd December 2004, 16:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

interiors.....you mean plastics?
Old 23rd December 2004, 16:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
interiors.....you mean plastics?
Haha... trust Rudra to have different polishes for different surfaces, lemme guess he uses 22 diff polishes rite. Lol. Just kidding. You should get something from Formula 1 or STP or any similar brand. Pennzoil in Rudra's opnion is the best i think. Right professori Rudra?

Revv
Old 24th December 2004, 07:52   #12
Team-BHP Support

Brother Rev,
I do believe in using different stuffs for different uses. Well they may not be 22 in total numbers. I'll post new thread for everybody about my car care process. Some may follow, some may not.

At the end of the day, I do believe a well kept car runs much better than the one which is not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks