Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2024, 10:22   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2024 Paris Olympics – Figures, facts and interesting trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Mis-using a player's accreditation...
Whether it was an honest mistake or otherwise, it is simply not possible for the host nation to ignore something like this considering what has happened in the past (Munich '72) and considering the present situation in the middle-east. So strict action is only to be expected.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 10:44   #152
BHPian

Misusing a players accreditation, the same team getting drunk and refusing to pay the taxi driver wherein police had to be called - people can justify all these as language and culture issues or being new to the place. That way even things like oogling at women, passing lewd comments can be justified as language or naivety or cultural issues.

These people are supposed to represent 1.4 plus billion people of India - the majoity of them at TAX PAYER'S EXPENSE, they are not particapants of Big Boss Season 8. Forget about getting medals, even as a tourist you need to follow set of rules, ettiquetes, have sense of responsibility when you are in a foreign land. Ideally these should have been coached to all the members of the contigent who were flying, but unfortunately looks like that has not been the case.

Last edited by kiranknair : 9th August 2024 at 11:08.
kiranknair is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 11:13   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Thanks @Fuldagap for the clarification.

My point is that due to a technical disqualification, don't strip her recognition. Also Olympics in Old Era have stopped wars between Kings.

In modern Era, we can retrospect a rule and amend accordingly.

Cheers
Mrs&Mr_Shenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 11:21   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs&Mr_Shenu View Post
Thanks @Fuldagap for the clarification.

My point is that due to a technical disqualification, don't strip her recognition. Also Olympics in Old Era have stopped wars between Kings.

In modern Era, we can retrospect a rule and amend accordingly.

Cheers
True that.
I still believe a professionally mamaged Phogat could have atleast brought back silver if not gold. Razor sharp approach to rules was required, ŕ la F1.
We are but desis mostly.

Last edited by Fuldagap : 9th August 2024 at 11:34.
Fuldagap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 11:32   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This incident seems like a failure of the process that athletes and their support staff and probably even at the entourage level should follow. I hope they would have been briefed about the do’s, dont’s and general protocols to be followed when such a big event is held in a foreign country. Impersonation is a big offence and taken seriously in most countries. There may have been a better/official process to handle this instead of what she, her sister and staff (I’m shocked they didn’t guide her!) finally decided to go ahead with.
This is exactly what I think as well NPV, she should have been guided properly. We have more officials in the entourage than the athletes, certainly the Chief-de-Mission or the officer assigned should have been more proactive in avoiding the unpleasant situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Really ? Mis-using a player's accreditation can be attributed to being young ? Does her speaking on it absolve the impersonation ? We want everyone to follow rules but we can have exceptions ?
I wouldn't say I am ashamed but its the kind of behaviour that is common in India and people representing the country should not do the same.
I am not condoning anything PreludeSH. But what seems like an impersonation is not exactly such. Antim just sent her sister with the accreditation card issued in her name to enter the games village. It was foolish of her to do that. And that is where the officials should take some blame of the situation. She should have been warned that doing such a thing is an offence and briefed that way. Being a first timer in an Olympic village, I would not think of this incident as shameful but a mistake. Shameful was the situation which the wrestlers faced few months back from their own federation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Whether it was an honest mistake or otherwise, it is simply not possible for the host nation to ignore something like this considering what has happened in the past (Munich '72) and considering the present situation in the middle-east. So strict action is only to be expected.
Absolutely in agreement am1m, one can’t fault the officials for doing their duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranknair View Post
Neeraj played really well - esp his second attempt effort of 89+ was under pressure. However, he is yet to cross the elusive 90 meters. Arshad had done it in the past. When Arshad hit 92+ in his second attempt, it was mostly like gold is gone now. And to hit 90+ twice was like he really deserved it..
Neeraj Chopra faulted five times out of six attempts. It was sheer luck that his only attempt fetched the silver. He brought all his experience to have thrown the distance in his only legitimate attempt. If you say that he played really well then perhaps you saw some another match !!

Also you seem to have a big peeve about the tax payers money being used for the athletes. At least the players are training hard for the nation. Please do question the tax payers money being used by officials of federations for free trips to the sporting events like Olympics and others. I am sure you also question of the tax payers money being used by various political leaders for their free everything !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 12:06   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Neeraj Chopra faulted five times out of six attempts. It was sheer luck that his only attempt fetched the silver.

Also you seem to have a big peeve about the tax payers money being used for the athletes. At least the players are training hard for the nation.
Slightly disagree on Neeraj Chopra's attempts - he did the second throw brilliantly under pressure especially after Arshad's massive one - the vast majority of our players would have choked at this point. And I think thats the best he could ever have done - he has never crossed 90 meters before. And the remaining four faults were just due to trying to go over the 90 mark, which was more or less expected to be be foul.

Regarding the tax paying discussion, all I said was these guys - both players, officials and other support staff - they represent our nation at the Olympics. They have be serious, follow the rules of the land and have discipline. Our aim is to get the maximum number of medals. They cannot take it as a vacation - having their siblings, spouses and other distractions.

Last edited by kiranknair : 9th August 2024 at 12:08.
kiranknair is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 13:02   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
We are always natural friends: Arshad
Congratulations to Neeraj Chopra for clinching the silver
Isn’t that picture from the 2018 Asian games?
Old 9th August 2024, 15:50   #158
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
We have more officials in the entourage than the athletes, certainly the Chief-de-Mission or the officer assigned should have been more proactive in avoiding the unpleasant situation.
I’m not sure if Antim and her staff approached anyone from the mission or other officials on how to get her stuff from the games village to her hotel. From whatever little I know, it does seem like a unilateral decision taken by the athlete and her staff. Sorry, I know I sound speculative.

Last edited by NPV : 9th August 2024 at 15:51.
Old 9th August 2024, 19:21   #159
BHPian

Coming back to the "male-female gender question" in Olympics, BBC has published an article detailing how some specific genes play a role in determining whether a person is a male or a female - biologically or otherwise and why it is difficult to categorize people as male or a female in very binary terms.

Quote:
“Just looking at the presence of a Y chromosome on its own does not answer the question of whether someone is male or female,” says Prof Alun Williams, who researches genetic factors related to sport performance at the Manchester Metropolitan University Institute of Sport.
Quote:
When it comes to being male or female, what is usually crucial is a specific gene called SRY - which stands for ‘sex-determining region of the Y chromosome’.
Dr. Williams concludes with this,

Quote:
He argues a comprehensive sex test would have to include these three categories:

1. Genetics (including looking for a Y chromosome and the SRY "make-male" gene).
2. Hormones (including, but not limited to, testosterone).
3. The body’s responsiveness to hormones like testosterone. Some people might have a Y chromosome, but be completely insensitive to testosterone.

He believes this is currently not being done because it’s expensive, it requires people with very specific expertise - and there are ethical concerns about the testing procedure. “This assessment can be humiliating. It includes measurements of the most intimate parts of anatomy, like the size of your breast and your clitoris, the depth of your voice, the extent of your body hair.”

One thing is certain: this controversy is not going away.
Link
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 20:28   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

P R Sreejesh to join Manu Bhaker as India's flag-bearer in Paris closing ceremony.

IOA President said Sreejesh was "both an emotional and popular choice within the IOA leadership".
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 21:33   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
...Manu Bhaker as India's flag-bearer in Paris closing ceremony.
She is currently in India. Will she be going back to Paris for the valedictory march?
Old 10th August 2024, 03:57   #162

Although very unfortunate that Vinesh was disqualified at the worst moment, it was not her first time being disqualified due to weight.In April 2016, Vinesh was slated to compete a
t the 2016 World Wrestling Olympic Qualification Tournament 1 held at Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia in a bid to qualify for the 2016 Summer Olympics. But, she was disqualified from the competition as she was found to be 400 grams above the weight category and was let off with a warning.
So it's not uncommon to be disqualified as such, but it couldn't have happened at the most critical time in her career.
onevaibhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 05:48   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
She is currently in India. Will she be going back to Paris for the valedictory march?
If she is going back, I wonder what business she had to make that short trip to India at all, especially if it is at tax payer's expense.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 07:00   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
If she is going back, I wonder what business she had to make that short trip to India at all, especially if it is at tax payer's expense.
She is indeed going back, reports NDTV.

2024 Paris Olympics – Figures, facts and interesting trivia-screenshot_2024081006395964_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg

On a side note, it is sad that in spite of the Olympics Gold Quest programme, neither in the previous, nor in the current iteration of the games have the beneficiary sportspersons managed to gift the nation a GOLD medal; yet.

2024 Paris Olympics – Figures, facts and interesting trivia-img_20240810_065216.jpg

But I do like what they are doing, given the stark reality that these words (posted on their website) present for us!

2024 Paris Olympics – Figures, facts and interesting trivia-screenshot_2024081006472119_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 07:55   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Using this comment by @fhdowntheline as a reference point only.

All,

Why this over use of "at the tax payers expense" phrase in this thread with reference to our athletes? What is the big deal if the top sports star did come to India for some reason only to fly back to Paris to lead the closing? Are we couch potatoes* being too critical and petty with zero knowledge behind the reasons of her trip. And even if the trip was for a personal reason, let's assume for a moment, what's wrong with that? Does the nation not owe that to the top performer. Social Media gives us laymen way too much power to criticize without homework.

*please do not retort back how we were great sportsmen/women in our youth. Compared to the any sportsperson who qualifies for the Olympics we are all couch potatoes.
V.Narayan is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks