Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2024, 19:57   #1
BHPian

Seeking opinions on raising future-ready kids

To start with my introduction, I’m 40 years old resides in Delhi & is working with American Express for past 15 years. I come from a middle-class family & got 2 kids. (Boy – 13 year & Girl 8 years).

As my kids are growing up in an increasingly complex world, I’m facing a daunting challenge about their future. While I was growing up, I did not had the means that are available today, nor I was aware of the competitive exams etc etc. and nor i was this bright.

Before, I seek opinions, let me share about my kids. My son presently studying in Class 8th, is a class topper and wants to be a pilot. I’m happy to help him pursue his dreams, but I want to keep few options as back-up for him. So, coming back to this community for following –
  • If not pilot, what skills do you think are essential for kids to develop to be future-ready?
  • What can be the back-up options?
  • What does market trends suggests ?
  • For pilot, he will be studying Physics & Maths in 11th & 12th. I’m thinking for preparing him for JEE as well. What is the ideal age to start preparing for JEE ?
Calling out parents / career counsellors for opinions and experiences to help me better understand the challenges, to shape next generation's future! Feel free to drop in your questions & I’ll be happy to answer them.

Dear Mods : I was unable to find any existing thread on this topic, please merge incase there is.
woodstock3001 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 22:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Seeking opinions on raising future-ready kids

Hello sir!
I myself passed out of Class 12th this year, so I am answering from a student POV

My goal was simple from Class 10th, only engineering. So I chose PCMS (Physics, Chemistry, Math, Statistics) stream in my 11th & 12th. Since your son is in class 8th right now, I would say give him time, he might change his mind in between and after his class 10th let him decide for once what he wants to be. If he is adamant on becoming a pilot even then, admit him to an aviation academy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
• If not pilot, what skills do you think are essential for kids to develop to be future-ready?

• What can be the back-up options?

• What does market trends suggests ?

• For pilot, he will be studying Physics & Maths in 11th & 12th. I’m thinking for preparing him for JEE as well. What is the ideal age to start preparing for JEE ?
Now, I will answer all your questions one by one

For skills, I would say everyone must learn atleast graphic designing, Video editing, content creation [ which I am doing :-) ] and last but not the least Data Analysis.

Nowadays everyone is running behind Computer Science, AI etc. but once a college owner said to my dad that even though CS,AI is booming right now, but after a couple of years many people are gonna be jobless (Demand vs Supply) so he said rather take a profession with more certainty (Mechanical, Architecture, Civil, Electronics).

AFAIK JEE isn't required for pilot training (correct me if I'm wrong guys), but if your son changes his mind and lets say he is aiming for IIT, then only consider JEE or else it's of no use. I myself have seen my batchmates who had enrolled to the JEE coaching of our college (tied up with Aakash paid around 1.1L per year) bunking classes, hanging out with their partners etc. This even includes toppers who bunk just because they're forced by their parents for JEE.

A general advice for all the parents out there:

Don't pressurise your children (thankfully I was not). Let them choose their own career because they are the ones building their future. Nowadays due to peer pressure, kids have started to be in relationships, smoke, drink etc. If you come to know that your kids are dating, be calm and discuss this matter with them. Call their partner at home, have a good talk with him/her and also with their parents as well. Recently a 18 y/o girl from our city committed suicide just because her parents found out she was in a relationship. Also teach children the power of saving/investing. I see teens spending ₹1000-2000 in clubs every weekend just because of "sab kar rahe hai". I recently started started an SIP of ₹500 so that I don't spend all of my pocket monies.

Sorry for the long rant

Last edited by sharmanova : 6th July 2024 at 22:23. Reason: Minor Typo
sharmanova is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 21:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
My son presently studying in Class 8th, is a class topper and wants to be a pilot.
By the way, what made him to aspire for a Pilot in the first place? Was he motivated by the popular image of being a Pilot or inspired by what a pilot does on a day-to-day basis?

As a parent, I would show my kid a wide variety of people who excelled in various different fields and will try to show a glimpse of their work if possible.
sirius is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 00:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
Hello sir!
I myself passed out of Class 12th this year, so I am answering from a student POV

For skills, I would say everyone must learn atleast graphic designing, Video editing, content creation [ which I am doing :-) ] and last but not the least Data Analysis.
A very mature post but why does everyone need graphic design or video editing? Maybe you intend to say that one needs to improve their creative side.

Same with data analysis. You need to have logical reasoning skills to act on the data, not do the actual data crunching. Of course, those interested in building a career in the Software engineering field should have a sound understanding of data structures and algorithms, not everyone else.
Jaguar is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 08:05   #5
BHPian

A few points based on my own parenting lessons:
1. Most kids figure out what they want to do. As parents we need to encourage them but also give them more options as they may not even know what else lies out there. The OP is already doing this - kudos to that.
2. One thing I have also seen is some kids who are too good at school level suddenly have an issue when they get into college and larger organisations where they get overwhelmed. I think it's important for kids to fail sometimes in their school days just so they learn how to deal with failure. As parents we need to give them the knowledge and support that failures are possible and in fact good if used in the right way and also a natural learning process.
3. With the tech sector being what it is, it's likely to be a good starting point as a backup job.
4. If being a pilot is the goal, areas around that can also be explored - for example do a mechanical engineering to follow up towards a Masters in aerospace engineering in case the pilot career does not pan out.
deep_bang is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 08:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

TeamBHP is a wonderful place where there are so many discussions on so many diverse topics! However, it is important to concise all this information to a minimal number of threads.

We do have threads already discussing parenting and career guidance. I believe we can have these discussions in one of the existing threads. Leaving the links below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...periences.html (Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ce-thread.html (The Career Advice Thread)
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 09:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Maybe you intend to say that one needs to improve their creative side.
Yes sir, that was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Same with data analysis. You need to have logical reasoning skills to act on the data, not do the actual data crunching. Of course, those interested in building a career in the Software engineering field should have a sound understanding of data structures and algorithms, not everyone else.
There are a lot of courses in Data Science, so why not children learn them during their vacations

Last edited by sharmanova : 8th July 2024 at 09:52.
Old 8th July 2024, 09:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sir, not to be casual here but your kid is just 12 or 13 years old. These are the years where kids aspire to be everything they see or like. I would suggest you give him time until he finishes his plus 2. That is when there will be a little clarity in what he wants to do. I'll just share my opinion. Although I'd let my kids do what they like, I don't want them to be engineers or doctors. I was an average student and always liked arts. By God's grace, am doing pretty well in life. I work as a VP for Ops in a US based firm. My father hated me for choosing B.com as a stream in my graduation. It's my bread and butter now. It's always good to choose courses that are evergreen. Like CA, ICWA etc. They require some time to crack but once done, they stay for a lifetime. Unlike engineering or technical fields where you need to constantly upgrade yourself. My honest opinion!
Raghu M is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 17:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
As my kids are growing up in an increasingly complex world, I’m facing a daunting challenge about their future. While I was growing up, I did not had the means that are available today,
Most of the current 40+, comes from simplistic past to successful present but due to present information overload, worries about successful future for their kids. (Same boat!). It is important to break it up to manage effectively. For me, they are
-no coaching till 10th. Let them study basics correctly
-If not inclined towards commerce, then take science stream since it has multiple exits
-Decide the final stream after 12th

Quote:

Before, I seek opinions, let me share about my kids. My son presently studying in Class 8th, is a class topper and wants to be a pilot.
I suggest to take your son for a talk with a pilot, if possible, and seek the pilot's opinion about your son. May be not now but once he completes 10th.

My son was interested in viscom till 12th and suddenly changed his mind to Statistics. I requested a family friend's daughter who completed PG in Stats to assess him and she gave green signal. Now he is more than happy and we, parents, too.

One more suggestion.
What is your son's personality trait?
If you have heard of Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator, suggest to take the test, know the personality type and build from there.
krrisdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 20:22   #10
BHPian

Fully agree with krrisdrive.

Quote:
As my kids are growing up in an increasingly complex world, I’m facing a daunting challenge about their future.
As a father of 11 years old kid, I can surely understand. But for career prospectus available today, I have bit different and more optimistic view.

I feel that today 1.) There are more options available and there is relatively more flexibility to choose. When I say "flexibility" I mean that its not always required to choose path at very young age and 2.) Kids themselves are more aware about career options available.

Personally I would prefer that kids would focus more on core learning and also make sure to understand importance of good learning habits like day to day study over trying to cover more before exams.

And Now bit off-track, but would suggest to utilize this "golden time" to spend any available holiday in traveling which helps them to learn / experience different places, since between 10th to 12th standard, would be almost impossible to take long breaks.

Even traveling can potentially help kids to learn / experience things which they can never learn while reading, but prime focus would be the positive experience and enjoyment which they will cherish for their lifetime.
Vishal.R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 15:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As my kids are growing up in an increasingly complex world,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by krrisdrive View Post
Most of the current 40+, comes from simplistic past...
I don't have kids or know anything about children's education, but I can say for sure that this is exactly what my parents said about my generation (am in my mid-40s now). I guess each generation thinks times were simpler/easier when they were children and today's world is too complex for children.

I think each generation manages, they navigate the complexities more easily and natively because they encounter them at an earlier age, and that might seem bewildering to the previous generation. It's like the difference between learning to swim or cycle as a child, or as an adult.

Last edited by am1m : 9th July 2024 at 15:23.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 15:46   #12

Great questions, and I think I am in a very good position to answer those questions.

I myself just finished my 3rd year of Mechanical engineering from BITS, and I, too, like your kid, wish to be a pilot within the next 2 years. I'm going to start my ground training classes by January 2025. In fact, I am even graduating early from BITS because I had the option and wanted to get a headstart on my career in aviation.

If not pilot, what skills do you think are essential for kids to develop to be future-ready? And backup options
If not a pilot, I'd recommend him to get into the science stream. I'm assuming that as he's into becoming a pilot, he'd also be fascinated with planes. This fascination is also what got me into the sciences like aerodynamics and engines.
Just to be future ready, I'd recommend that he NOT do anything right now. 8th standard is too young of an age to do anything remotely related to your future. Let him explore his hobbies and play sports.
He could also learn basic music, photo and video editing on free software like Snapseed and VN editor.
If he wants to, he could get into entry-level programming in Python, which is basic stuff from Youtube.

Engineering is a good backup to have in the sciences, as it literally opens up every possible stream, be it from the automobile sector to ethical hacking.

What is the ideal age to start preparing for JEE ?
Ideally, he should start preparing for JEE post 10th board exams. There's really no need to start before 10th or even during 10th as it just increases the workload during those formative years. They are much better spent playing on Microsoft Flight Simulator (just kidding, sports and hobbies is the way to go).
level0regen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 20:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
Don't pressurise your children
Thank you sharmanova (Youngman) for your input.

I don't want to push him, but as a parent, I'll always have concerns for him... and I don't know for how long.

Also, I truly believe that "you never know which of your skills will take you places." It could be anything, from video editing to blogging, piloting, engineering, and more. No skill is ever wasted.

Preparing for JEE is a backup plan. While JEE isn't necessary for pilot training, since he'll be studying PCM in 12th grade, why not prepare for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius View Post
By the way, what made him to aspire for a Pilot in the first place? Was he motivated by the popular image of being a Pilot or inspired by what a pilot does on a day-to-day basis?

As a parent, I would show my kid a wide variety of people who excelled in various different fields and will try to show a glimpse of their work if possible.
Great question! Delving deeper into this topic is on list now.

I believe his fascination with being a pilot stems from our recent travels, fun at airport, seeing big aircrafts etc, but being a pilot entails much more than just traveling.

My sister was an air hostess with Etihad, and I witnessed firsthand the toll flying took on her health.

Coming to second point, I dont have such contacts to introduce him to a wide range of successful individuals from different fields, If it can be done online, count me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
A few points based on my own parenting lessons:
2. how to deal with failure. 4. Masters in aerospace engineering in case the pilot career does not pan out.
Thanks deep_bang for suggestions.

Since my son will be studying PCM in 12th grade, I'm exploring some alternative options just in case.

I totally support 2nd point - it's okay to fail sometimes. I tell the same thing to my team in office, provided you learn from it. Failures are valuable learning experiences that make success even sweeter.

I'll definitely look into Masters in Aerospace engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Sir, not to be casual here but your kid is just 12 or 13 years old.
He's still young, and like i said above, I don't want to push him in any direction. He can decide his own path.

If he wants to be a pilot, then so be it.

But as a father, I can't help but continue to explore possibilities out there besides being a pilot. I want to be ready to support him in any choice he makes, hence why I'm reaching out for advice and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrisdrive View Post
Most of the current 40+, comes from simplistic past to successful present but due to present information overload, worries about successful future for their kids.

If you have heard of Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator, suggest to take the test, know the personality type and build from there.
Will look for Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator and incase need help, will DM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Personally I would prefer that kids would focus more on core learning and also make sure to understand importance of good learning habits like day to day study over trying to cover more before exams.
So true and we do all that, it's just i'm preparing myself and looking for all the options for him.
woodstock3001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 10:23   #14

Quote:
As my kids are growing up in an increasingly complex world, I’m facing a daunting challenge about their future. While I was growing up, I did not had the means that are available today, nor I was aware of the competitive exams etc etc. and nor i was this bright.
Disclaimer: I am not a parent.

My suggestion for you is to find ways to encourage the capability to think, rationalise, draw inferences and be able to perceive what is real from what is not. Irrespective of any career path, the skills that will help them become outstanding lie in their ability to have self-belief, trust themselves to deliver on goals and have confidence to bounce back from a failure. Too many parents end up unwittingly indoctrinating the fear of failure. Everyone will fail - sometimes in a small way and in some rare moments in ways that seem earth-shattering. But no matter what happens - they have to feel ready to bounce back, feel safe about seeking help and feel valued that in what they are doing.

Parenting is hard and your concerns reflect your worries. But you do have a long window to turn these worries into strengths for your children. Help them grow up to be good human beings instilled with social values that make them stand out in the world. And please try not to fall into the "in our days we did not have ..." mindset. Times have changed - you can be their best guide to anticipate the best but be prepared for the worst.
uneasyrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 12:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Request you to please elaborate what is "future ready".

You are probably seeking career options available at present.

I see myself in a similar situation as yours, however I am not preparing my son to be future ready.

My son is in 12th and we as parents assist him to get quality education and we aspire him to work hard.

The only advise I give to my son is that, work hard, be wise and stay happy & content with whatever you have.

I am never worried about his future as no one can predict how the future will be.

Survival of the fittest still holds true, the definition of fittest has changed, however the basic requirements are still valid.

Please relax and let you children learn on their own the skills to live in this world.

You can always advise and guide them but rather than considering it as a challenge, let it be a learning experience, both for the children and the parents.

Cheers.
Brumby is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks