Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2024, 01:06   #1
BHPian

2024 T20 World Cup Thread

The Australian drop-in pitches coupled with a sluggish sand based outfield being used in the USA have ensured the 2024 T20 world cup has gotten off to a very lukewarm start despite this edition having the largest ever number (20) of participating teams. Almost all matches upto now have heavily favoured the bowlers to the extent that a score of 140-150 can be considered to be a winning total. It is in this backdrop, that India will begin their campaign against Ireland later today.

An interesting strategy from our practice match against Bangladesh was playing Pant at 3. The fact that Jaiswal didn't get to bat all makes me think Rohit + Virat are going to be the first choice openers followed by Pant, then Sky at 4. Watching the Sri Lankan batters struggle with the steep bounce at the New York ground (where India will play max matches) makes me jittery about Dube's no footwork batting.

While we have the best T20 batter in Surya & the best T20 bowler in Bumrah, it still feels as if we are not really in contention for the title this time.....
Shumi_21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 07:44   #2

Re: 2024 T20 World Cup Thread

I always liked cricket where bowlers can show their skills. Scoring runs (4s and 6s) isn't all cricket. In the past few years, every cricket playing nation have their domestic leagues that's helping the youths. But, the leagues are making the pitches batters friendly and to top it off, the boundaries are brought in (this year's IPL, The 100).

I'm enjoying how bowlers are using variations in this world cup and batsmen are struggling to get boundaries. The Indian team (selected due to performance in IPL) will find it difficult to get boundaries.

Anyway, if you watch the world cup as sporting event, it's enjoyable. But, if watched as entertainment (as IPL) then, it might be another forgettable show/series.
anupmpatilbyd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 08:11   #3
BHPian

With Indians being the highest patrons in USA, I hope the survival (for believers)/script(for rest) for India would be till SF or even F.

Heard people paying up to $2500 per ticket for Ind vs Pak this weekend. Tickets bulk booked and sold in black market.
Old 5th June 2024, 08:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
With Indians being the highest patrons in USA, I hope the survival (for believers)/script(for rest) for India would be till SF or even F.

Heard people paying up to $2500 per ticket for Ind vs Pak this weekend. Tickets bulk booked and sold in black market.
Pakistan cricket's whole existence and significance has now just reduced to playing 1 match yearly against India in ICC tournaments.

India has a good team and should make it to the semi final easily if pitches assist spinners. The pace bowling besides Bumrah is looking weak. This team India need some luck to win an ICC tournament.

Anyway T20 is fast food and I don't think Australia and England take ICC T20 tournaments seriously. I am okay if 4 associate Nations make it to the semi final.
Old 5th June 2024, 09:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Is Pakistan seriously going to play Azam Khan in this tournament, that too when Mohammad Rizwan is still on the team?! Can't understand why the team, former players, and Pak media are not making a bigger deal about this, surely Moin Khan can't wield that much clout? And being politically correct (about the player's 'fitness') surely can't count more than the obvious lack of talent and performance. Should be an easy win for us, with that guy behind the stumps!

Last edited by am1m : 5th June 2024 at 09:02.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 10:38   #6
BHPian

So far Pakistani cricketers are busy hosting private dinner for 25USD. Call it priorities !
Old 5th June 2024, 10:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Too many associate nations in this World Cup for my liking. I get the reason for doing so, but it just takes away from the whole viewing experience.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 11:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Too many associate nations in this World Cup for my liking. I get the reason for doing so, but it just takes away from the whole viewing experience.
Agreed. Too many irrelevant matches with very little interest.
Old 5th June 2024, 11:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought so initially it will be a borefest.
However few matches by associates have turned out to be quite fun. Like yesterday, Nepal gave Neds a tough fight till the end and if not for dropped catches could have won too. It was great to see so many Nepalese fans turned up in Dallas to support their team. The game between Oman and Namibia was a thriller too and we got a super over after long.

I was cheering for Scotland yesterday and I firmly believe they could have defended 109 against England in 10 overs. We can't have the Big 3 and their close pals playing all the time. Need more teams in cricket to grow and ICC tournaments are perfect way for that.

Anyways, coming to our first game today.
This is the line up I believe will play barring any last minute changes.

Rohit
Kohli
Pant
SKY
Dube
Hardik
Jadeja
Axar
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Arshdeep

Only change I see coming is if they decide to play Jaiswal as opener with Kohli at 3 which will make Dube sit out hence reducing 1 part time bowling option. Got a feeling Dube will play today and if he fails then against Pakistan we may see Jaiswal back in.

Last edited by harry10 : 5th June 2024 at 11:45.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 12:26   #10
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Agreed. Too many irrelevant matches with very little interest.
In this format, it just takes 1 player to have a good day and win a match. So, you never know. I just hope it isn't against India!
Old 5th June 2024, 12:42   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

First time in my history of watching Indian team play for any trophy I am feeling pessimistic this time and not counting on them anymore. Especially after last WC fiasco, just trying to safe on my own heart break. Definitely watching all the matches Live as well as highlights but somehow my heart says this isn't going to be a cakewalk for India. Let alone their internal conflicts between team members etc.
Old 5th June 2024, 13:43   #12
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Too many associate nations in this World Cup for my liking.
And they had USA vs Canada as the first match in a marquee tournament like the WC! The tournament anyways did not have much of a buzz to begin with & the ICC are ensuring it remains that way with the scheduling.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 18:30   #13
BHPian

This world cup seems to be an interesting prospect for teams. Most batsmen will be forced to a reality check, coming from the hitting practice they enjoyed in the IPL. Bowlers who can swing the ball, bowl yorkers and bouncers accurately will rule the roost. Fielders will have to work doubly hard to cover ground in the huge boundaries. This tournament will truly separate the great from mediocre.

Talking about the Indian fixtures, they might struggle against the Pakistani quicks, who are arguably the best in the world. But, the Indian batsmen are known to rise up to a challenge, especially against our sub-continental rivals. Looking forward to see some infusion of classical cricket into this made-for-entertainment format.
Old 5th June 2024, 22:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rohit played quite well and Pant saw Test match conditions and did great as usual.

However, Screw the SR talks. I don't care what anyone says. If we have any hope to win Cup on these pitches then Kohli needs to Bat at 3. Let everyone else be INTENT merchants and play around him. Period.

Pitch and outfield were so rubbish. Only batsman with solid technique and temperament can make runs here. India vs Pakistan will be fun here.
Old 5th June 2024, 23:29   #15
PPS
Senior - BHPian

On this pitch, its going to be more of a Lottery on Sunday! Strike Rates which we heard so much about during IPL are thrown out of the window here. Its more like win the toss win the game scenario. Just hope there aren't too many injuries here at NY. Need fit players going into the next round.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks