Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2024, 14:34   #121
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2024 T20 World Cup Thread

The way Rohit bludgeoned Starc & Co. really set the tempo! After being 150 odd in 14 overs, instead of accelerating the innings became sluggish thanks to Dube primarily. We still don't have an answer to Head. But anyways Afghanistan have knocked out the Aussies so good riddance.

What I fail to understand is that Bangladesh outta nowhere had a chance to qualify for the Semis if they could achieve the target in 12.1 overs. Instead of going all out for their 1st Semi Final berth in a WC they completely surrendered & couldn't even win the game in the end shows their mentality & why they have not progressed in World Cricket apart from having wins in home conditions & the odd good performance here & there. Afghanistan on the other hand has made rapid progress in the last few years.

SA will not find it easy as that venue offers some turn to the spinners. So should be an interesting match. India being a group stage bully will be tested now at the business end of the WT20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Only change for semis should be Pant opening with Rohit and Kohli batting at 3. That will provide more stability as Kohli opening ain't working and too late for Jaiswal to come in now.
I hope the team management looks at this change & perhaps catches the opposition by surprise. This is the business end of the tournament & this is the stage where big match player like Virat needs to perform. I hope this is the last that we see of Kohli in International T20s !!
Old 25th June 2024, 14:58   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Only change for semis should be Pant opening with Rohit and Kohli batting at 3. That will provide more stability as Kohli opening ain't working and too late for Jaiswal to come in now.
I hope this does not happen. At least Pant's role is working now. Making this change will risk his form too. Virat is not working because he is not in form. We can't shield a senior like him by sacrificing Pant as the opener so that he does not have to play new ball. Either he keeps playing as an opener or makes way for Jaiswal. Every other position is settled now and working well. There is no reason to change just to protect Virat from the new ball.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 25th June 2024 at 15:01.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 15:02   #123
BHPian

Man this is beyond hilarious.

Jonathan Trott, the Afghan coach gestures the team to slow down the game because they are ahead on DLS and the rain is starting to fall. Almost on que, Gulbadin puts his hand up (pun intended) to acknowledge Trott and falls to the ground as if a Taliban sniper shot his hamstring.

Even more hilariously, Gulbadin returns to bowl the next over and picks up a wicket, to which Simon Doull commentates "Paper hamstring, but a golden arm!!!"
Shumi_21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 16:31   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
What I fail to understand is that Bangladesh outta nowhere had a chance to qualify for the Semis if they could achieve the target in 12.1 overs.
Thought that if Bangladesh won in 12.1 overs, Aussies would go to the semi.
Old 25th June 2024, 16:57   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I hope this does not happen. At least Pant's role is working now. Making this change will risk his form too. Virat is not working because he is not in form. We can't shield a senior like him by sacrificing Pant as the opener so that he does not have to play new ball. Either he keeps playing as an opener or makes way for Jaiswal. Every other position is settled now and working well. There is no reason to change just to protect Virat from the new ball.
Kohli played 4 balls and got out.
So, Pant was anyways playing like an opener early on rather than number 3. Uniqueness with Pant is he doesn't care about which number he bats. His gameplay remains the same. So, opening won't be a big change for him.

Anyways, won't matter much. Guyana assists spin so I expect our bowling attack to do the job. If match happens as rain forcast is there and no reserve day. If match doesn't happen we anyways progress to final due to topping the table. I am not worried about England.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 19:05   #126
BHPian

Yes take england out in semis and I will be equally happy for any of the team lifting the cup
Old 25th June 2024, 19:48   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Pant was anyways playing like an opener early on rather than number 3. So, opening won't be a big change for him.

I don't think it's ideal to change Pant's position as he is performing his assigned job well at number 3. I doubt the management will alter something that is already working fine at this stage.

Ideally, I believe Pant should bat further down the order, perhaps in Hardik's place, as he seems more suitable there. This would allow him to build the innings better, either by slogging towards the end or by holding the fort during a quick loss of wickets.

Virat is an experienced player, and at this stage of the tournament, experience matters. I doubt the management will make any changes to his position now.
Old 25th June 2024, 20:29   #128
BHPian

Got a forward
"Nowadays, if you are late by even 5 mins to watch India match
We see Virat also watching the match with us"

I hope he plays well in the remaining 2 matches. But since Indian team is not RCB, we have good number of players who have strike rates much better
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 22:05   #129
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
At least Pant's role is working now. Making this change will risk his form too.
Pant's position has no bearing on the way he plays. He's going to play the same way whether he's opening or batting at no.5 !

Quote:
Virat is not working because he is not in form. There is no reason to change just to protect Virat from the new ball.
Virat was in good form in IPL but in International T20 I feel his best position is no.3 , ideally when the team is already off to a brisk start. Right now he's batting like an enforcer.

Quote:
I am not worried about England.
England is a much superior team than say Australia in the T20 format! Although they're not as good a team as they used to be. India will have to watch out for Adil & Moeen though.
Old 26th June 2024, 07:11   #130

Quote:
England is a much superior team than say Australia in the T20 format! Although they're not as good a team as they used to be. India will have to watch out for Adil & Moeen though.
Especially while chasing against India. India has a good bowling lineup but not the best. Out of 7 bowling options only 3 are producing constantly.
Watch the 18th over in Aus match, you will understand what I'm saying. Arshadeep bowled four fulltoss balls if its any other batsman they would have launched them into the sky.

Also, what's wrong with jadeja? He's failing in all departments

I hope India will win the toss and choose to field first in semi's.
Old 26th June 2024, 09:39   #131
BHPian

I find it quite bizarre that Naveen-ul-Haq was handed the MoM award yesterday and not Rashid Khan. Rashid's 4-fer not only ripped the Bangladesh middle order apart, but his crucial blows while batting also gave Afghanistan a fighting total. In fact, Rashid's 19 off 10 was the third-highest score in the match and the best strike rate by far!
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:28   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I find it quite bizarre that Naveen-ul-Haq was handed the MoM award yesterday and not Rashid Khan. Rashid's 4-fer not only ripped the Bangladesh middle order apart, but his crucial blows while batting also gave Afghanistan a fighting total. In fact, Rashid's 19 off 10 was the third-highest score in the match and the best strike rate by far!
It was a very difficult decision. Naveen's timely wickets turned the match. Das was sure of winning it for BD but then Naveen's over made sure he never got strike and he finished off with 2 quick wickets. MoM should actually be made redundant. It is a team sport and the win should be celebrated over an individual performance (just my POV)
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:33   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Player of the Match is chosen by the Commentators. So, some bias or other factors do creep in. To be honest Naveen did break the Bangladesh backbone with picking 2 wickets in 2 balls with the price wicket of Shakib. Cos Shakib is the guy who will rotate strike and take them to victory. Then at the end he got 2 in 2 again to win the game. Maybe that's why they chose him.

Rashid was ideal Player of the match because not only he made runs and took wickets but he lead the team beautifully as Captain. He was visibly annoyed with Gulbadin antics which says lot about his sportsman spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Got a forward
"Nowadays, if you are late by even 5 mins to watch India match
We see Virat also watching the match with us"

I hope he plays well in the remaining 2 matches. But since Indian team is not RCB, we have good number of players who have strike rates much better
Whats with these IPL kids with such stupid remarks and memes. He is out of form. That happens to every player. This is first t20 world cup he isn't performing. I will still back him to make useful contribution in semis and if we reach finals. In fact, it's great without his contribution we are still winning all games. Speaks volume team is playing like a team instead of individual glories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
Yes take england out in semis and I will be equally happy for any of the team lifting the cup
Seconded.
Nothing will make me happy than India lifting a trophy after 10 years. But, if that doesn't happen then SA or Afghanistan is fine too as they have never won any World cup Trophy. Will be great for the game. I just don't want those Poms winning anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Magic View Post

Virat is an experienced player, and at this stage of the tournament, experience matters. I doubt the management will make any changes to his position now.
I suspect the same.
Teams don't like to tinker with winning combinations. Barring injury I expect same team with same slots to play for both teams. I just hope Kohli and Jadeja comes good. Even small contributions from them will be good.

Quote:

I think they are almost similar.
Both rely heavily on their openers.
We saw when head and Warner failed what happened to Australia.
Same happened to England. When openers failed they couldn't even chase 163 against SA.
Their middle order is suspectible with likes of Bairstow, Brook and Livingstone who aren't good players of spin. And Moeen Ali isn't doing much since long.

Last time when we met in semis they didn't lose a wicket and openers did the job. This time if we get their openers early this will be our game.

80% forcast of Rain. They will have extra 4 hours and play can be extended till 6.30pm local time. But no reserve day is a shame. ICC in their greed screwed up here.

Last edited by harry10 : 26th June 2024 at 10:35.
Old 26th June 2024, 10:43   #134
BHPian

My team XI for the semis (though don't think there will be a change in playing XI)

R Sharma
V Kohli
R Pant (wk)
SKY
S Samson
H Pandya
S Dube
A Patel
K Yadav
A Singh
J Bhumrah

We have 5 bowlers and Dube can bowl few if one of them leak runs. Jadeja is terribly out of form and better to have Samson especially against England. I suspect England will come hard at us and if they bat first then will try to score 200.
Old 26th June 2024, 11:15   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
My team XI for the semis (though don't think there will be a change in playing XI)

R Sharma
V Kohli
R Pant (wk)
SKY
S Samson
H Pandya
S Dube
A Patel
K Yadav
A Singh
J Bhumrah

We have 5 bowlers and Dube can bowl few if one of them leak runs. Jadeja is terribly out of form and better to have Samson especially against England. I suspect England will come hard at us and if they bat first then will try to score 200.
1. No one is going to change the winning XI, that too at SF.
2. If at all one HAS to drop Jadeja, Rinku fits infinitely better than Samson (Rinku can bowl too) in the playing XI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks