Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2007, 12:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Festival Season = Less Road Space

I see this happen every time the festival season starts, more so during the Ganesh and Navratri festivals. The local bodies approve the putting up of posters across roads and the mandals dig up the roads for putting up bamboos that will carry the ads across the roads. Something like this

This is when you turn left into Vashi. Thats the main arterial road in Vashi and it was bamboo lined all the way. This pic is taken at the Sector 17 signal.

Just because of that bamboo - one lane will be less and all this happens in crowded localities. wonder if these guys even ask the traffic dept for permission. guess not as most of the mandals have political support as well.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 27th August 2007 at 12:23.
Old 27th August 2007, 12:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

You call that bad? Hell it's much worse here in Moradabad, I haven't been able to go to my factory for 2 days because the roads have been closed down for traffic due to the Kanwariya's.

Atleast you guys can still commute.
Old 27th August 2007, 12:39   #3
BHPian

They dig the road and put the bamboo sticks into it? I've never seen that. They usually tie it to the barrier..
Old 27th August 2007, 12:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
They dig the road and put the bamboo sticks into it?
Yes - as you can see in the pic. The worst part is that after all the festivities are over, the bamboo is pulled out and the hole left as it is which then develops into a pot hole.
Old 27th August 2007, 13:02   #5
BHPian

India > religion > mass > politics

all this components individually and as a whole equation is driven by a big bunch of dumble-heads (may be a VERY FEW exceptions)

but this country will remain the same unless the educated class does what it is supposed after all that education in a sensible way.

so let's stop complaining.

instead why dont we act,... is there nothing like a forum like us do against this?

check this,... the circle at the moraj signal, sanpada, palm beach road is having a mishap every hour - all due to the tall plants that have grown on the traffic islands and seperators.

me being a daily driver there, stopped my vehicle and went up to the cop to ask if the clearing up of these plants can be done. he, in his usual vague and banana language said something i did not understand. i went to the extent of telling him that i can get a few of my society inmates to crop up the part atleat near the signal,... and he says that is not allowed. he said general public cant do any work on these lands.

all my efforts in trying to make him understand that the overgrown plants are the cause of the mishaps as they obstruct the view went i nvain.

do you think we can do something about this for a social cause?
Old 27th August 2007, 13:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

U should be in Pune during the procession time from Dehu to Pandarapur. Absolute nightmare with tractors carrying pilgrims all over the city..It looked like Pune was under seige. To top it all, my sis in law missed a flight even though we started from home nearly 4 hours before the flight !!
Old 27th August 2007, 13:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

We suffer from it too - and its not restricted to just festivals but also politician posters and whatnots.

Digging a road should be made a crime punishable by life imprisonement with no bail
Old 27th August 2007, 14:48   #8
BHPian

Its very common in Pune. A 3 lane road is reduced to almost half a lane, with the rest of the road taken up for a pandal. As NC's pic shows, the worst part is that they dig holes in the road to put bamboos in and leave them there when the festival is over.

Interesting what people get away with in the name of religion.
Old 27th August 2007, 14:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
do you think we can do something about this for a social cause?
I was working with a non-profit organization that wanted to carry out a tree plantation drive along barren/unused parts of land that are on our way to work. The municipal authorities refused permission and asked for a 20 yr plan as to how those trees would be taken care of.

After a lot of negotiation, we had to drop the idea and the tree plantation never took place. Sometimes even if you want to do something, it isn't easy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks