Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 16:17   #76
BHPian

Re: Got a job after 5 years, but I'm not happy

Regardless of the outcome, pain, suffering and all other emotions that you might go through, why don't you take this head on and see how it pans out?

If you don't like it, you can always resign OR clear exams for other departments OR go on deputation to other department OR worst case, go back to your village and be with your parents. Going back to your parents is an option that is always open BUT this opportunity is once in a lifetime. Carpe Diem. Seize the Day

It is better to TRY and FAIL rather than not try at all. In your current situation, chance of success is 0%. Atleast give yourself a non-zero chance of succeeding

What if this works out and outcome might be atleast one of these
1. You might raise through the ranks and be rewarded with accolades/recognition
2. You might work bare minimum and retire at 60. You will be in a good position to marry a girl and provide a good life to wife and kids
3. People might talk good about you since you are a Govt employee

The above 3 outcomes are still better than your current situation

Last edited by akhil_007 : 23rd May 2024 at 16:19.
akhil_007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 16:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

I don't reply on posts discussing personal issues on the forum. But has been disappointed by the sermonizing nature of replies some BHPians are posting on many such threads. We have to understand that the mental make up of everyone is not the same. So somethings trivial to the majority may be life changing for someone else.

Donning the hat of agony uncles should not be done unless we are subject matters in what the query is about. Wrong advice or unnecessary sermons can be extremely painful for people who are already down or dueling with life altering decisions.
poloman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 18:12   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Referring to the OP I would like to address some of your genuine and not so genuine concerns. Pointwise, the answers would be like:-

(1) These days government jobs have become very, very scarce and vacancies are not being filled by government departments in most cases. And vacancies lapse (for all Central government posts and also in many cases state government posts) once these remain unfilled for two years or more. Revalidation of such lapsed posts by departments is an uphill task.
Hence, since you have been selected and have got the job offer you must join this job at the place of posting. There should be no other option now.

(2) Since you are a new pass-out, your parents could be just around 50 or so. They are independent and can still sustain themselves on their own. Hence, this is the recommended time period when you can work outside. Only when they age, they may need your support.

(3) The distance of 650 + 650 kms is not so odd. Overnight journeys can surely be performed by the available means of public transport. So departing on Saturday evenings, being at home for Sunday and again starting the journey back on Sunday evening or night should work towards reaching you at your office desk on Monday mornings. This can be done af least once or twice a month.

(4) Lastly, you are not too far away from home. You can think about the thousands of single children who have left their aged parents alone here and are doing jobs in faraway countries, from where they can visit their homes only once in one or two years.

A junior colleague working in a private company in Saudi Arabia got an appointment offer in my government department. He had come to me to get my view as to whether he should join this government job in India or stay back in Saudi Arabia, where he was doing well. I told him to join immediately and not to exercise any other option. When he asked "why so?", I told him that government jobs have age limits for entry. Once you are past that limit you are not eligible. But if you join here and don't like this government job later, you are free to quit and go back to Saudi Arabia. There is no age limit for the job there. He instantly agreed, and I am proud to say that he is still doing the government job 15 years hence, happily and has not quit.
Spot on!

Govt employees travel from Delhi to Lucknow and back every weekend. The ones who have families back in Lucknow. Distance is 500 kms approx one way. Is it cumbersome? Sure it is, but people manage. In the south, it is even easier for govt employees.
Fuldagap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 18:19   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacer_123 View Post
Hello Team-BHP family

I've finally cleared the exam and got a govt job.
My parents can't live in such a big city. I too can't afford a big house for them, .
Congratulations! Very well done In this day and age not many land up with a govt job ethically.

Now coming to your main painpoint of leaving a settled life to move to another city, it surely will be a difficult for intial period but once you settle down you will be able to enjoy the city of your workplace.

TAKE THE JOB RIGHTAWAY , and work on finding a transfer after initial years. If not try to find a private sector job if you can later on.

Do not worry about parents adjustment, i bet your parents will be happy even if you have a small house in that place. For them the most important thing is you finding a job. Gone are days when people get jobs near their hometown, this is an era where people are going abroad for jobs, atleast you are in the same country dude.

Cheer up.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 18:42   #80
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Closing this thread as enough discussion has been done on this topic. OP should now have enough information to make his decision.

@pacer_123 If you would like to share further updates, please report the thread for reopening.
graaja is online now   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks